The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 20, 2021, 07:06 AM   #51
Crankylove

Quote:
First off, I hope you never encounter a situation as previously described.
So do I.

I’ve had to draw my pistol once in the 15 years I’ve been carrying, I sincerely hope I never have to again.
Old July 20, 2021, 07:59 AM   #52
DaleA

For anybody that thinks black bears are not dangerous I refer you to THIS recent story:

https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...e-89def8247f1d

A black bear in the Minnesota Boundry Waters Canoe Area "armed and dangerous"!

Yep, the bear was strapped, packing heat, having stolen a backpack with a roscoe in it.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old July 20, 2021, 09:33 AM   #53
JustJake

Quote:
For anybody that thinks black bears are not dangerous I refer you to THIS recent story:
https://www.kare11.com/article/sport...e-89def8247f1d
A black bear in the Minnesota Boundry Waters Canoe Area "armed and dangerous"!
Yep, the bear was strapped, packing heat, having stolen a backpack with a roscoe in it.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Just protecting the right to keep bears armed.

Old July 20, 2021, 09:46 AM   #54
Carl the Floor Walker

And reports that The bear had been drinking as well. Also resisted arrest.
Old July 20, 2021, 11:01 AM   #55
BarryLee

I camp fairly often in the North Georgia Mountains. I generally carry a S&W M66 fully loaded with hollow points. I suspect two legged creatures (No Yetis) are the biggest threat, but we have run across a few curious bears. During the day I keep it secured in my pack which is always very Close, but at night I have it in my empty boot right next to me. Again, not too many really threats, but why take a chance...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 20, 2021, 12:09 PM   #56
Carl the Floor Walker

As I mentioned, we do not have bear attacks where I live and yet a large bear population.
Interesting to see the studies of Bear attacks on the Applacian Trail, where there are always people, and People with food etc. Yes, the have had attacks, but the odds are 1 in 3 million.
https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/appa...-trail-murders
Muders by humans is also very low.

Most people will die from Heart Attacks, Lightening, Falls etc. Yes, I carry a Revolver
snubbie when spending time in my explorations of the woods, Swamps and Forrest like i have done since a young Boy. Necessary. No, just provides peace of mind.

"However, as the statistics stand, there’s roughly 1 fatal attack every 8-10 years. The ATC claims nearly 3million visited the trail this year, this means that nearly 1 in 24-30million chance you will be involved in a fatal bear attack."

https://appalachiantrailhistory.org/...ger/blackbears

I do not have any worries about A predator Black Bear, or the Predator Water Moccasin that seeks out humans. I do have worry about LYME DISEASE much more. I have more concern about being taken OUT by a Text messaging driver on the way to the Swamps etc.

I stay out of places that I find more dangerous. I will not go into Chicago, Balitmore DC etc. or the local hood. The chances of being killed in Chicago are 100 times higher for example.
I do not camp in public camp grounds.The swamps/Woods/Forrest are the safest places on earth to me. And as far away from humans the safer they are.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old July 20, 2021, 03:24 PM   #57
HiBC

I have no arguement with anything you said,Carl. It all makes sense to me.

But you,sir,were not sleeping beside my former spouse when she said "Don't let the bear bite me again!"

It wasn't your Wife who felt the front paws press her down as the bear took a bite of her butt.

We were 200 river miles from the nearest road,this bear was not leaving before he ate someone. Yelling,dog barking,warning shot, I even hit him across the face.

As Elmer said "Hell,I was THERE!"

You do you! Not likely you will convert me.

I'm truly grateful I dismissed advice similar to yours ,relied on my own judgement and was not helpless when faced with this 6 foot 6 in nose to tail predatory old boar black bear.

I had my Win 97 12 ga and my Ruger SBH.

Last edited by HiBC; July 20, 2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old July 20, 2021, 03:37 PM   #58
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post

But you,sir,were not sleeping beside my former spouse when she said "Don't let the bear bite me again!"

It wasn't your Wife who felt the front paws press her down as the bear took a bite of her butt.

We were 200 river miles from the nearest road,this bear was not leaving before he ate someone. Yelling,dog barking,warning shot, I even hit him across the face.

I'm truly grateful I dismissed advice similar to yours ,relied on my own judgement and was not helpless when faced with this 6 foot 6 in nose to tail predatory old boar black bear.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Must have been terrible. Hopefully you wife is now OK. Not trying to convert anyone. And as I said, I carry a firearm. Really do not care what another person carries for protection. What state was the bear attack? What ever happened to the bear? Was it a known nuisance bear? Did they later track it down. Was the area a place where a lot of people camped?
Again, hope your wife is now ok.
Old July 20, 2021, 03:58 PM   #59
HiBC

She is fine. I killed the bear. 200 river miles and 7 hours of washboard Haul Road and she was at the hospital.

We were at the Junction of the Yukon and Nowitna rivers,in AK, .Pristine country,no hiking trails.

A river guide named Jeff Renneke (I may have mis spelled his name) was the guide in the boat I was taking through Brown's Canyon on the Arkansas River.

He wrote a book on bears.

He advised when they had problem bears building the AK pipeline they would put them to sleep,sling load them to a chopper,and relocate them just about where we were.

The "Corrupted by Man" thing might be a point,but my story proves you can contact one of those bears anywhere.

Does it matter if the bear has a "poor little kid brought up in a bad neighborhood" story ?? Where have people not contacted wildlife?

Read Kanut's "Bear tales of Alaska". A former Geo Survey worker typed her story with a pencil held in her teeth. She was working,unarmed,only had a radio. The small female black bear that jumped her chewed both her arms off. It had to do with reaching for her radio.

Great book to read a chapter before crawling in the bag.

I don't think the state matters much. Use People for an example. You can get murdered in any state.
Old July 21, 2021, 03:43 AM   #60
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post

I've read that story of yours before and I love it, HiBC. I've referred it to other people for them to read.

Now, had it happened to me camping with my former spouse, it would have saved me lots of $$$$ in alimony payments years down the road!
Old July 21, 2021, 05:46 AM   #61
Carl the Floor Walker

As I mentioned, even with a large bear population where I live, a attack is such a small concern, if any. I believe a tree limb coming down, or a heart attack as example as bigger threats. even though I consider myself fit for my age. But some of the places I travel are quite stressful to make it through. And in most places cell phones have no service. Never thought about it much before, but perhaps a SOS GPS system might be a good investment.
Given the information of the story above, "IF" Bears were a concern for me, I would not only carry my firearm, but would carry Bear Spray.
(although I do not know much about it, never met anyone that does in my area, nor have even seen it on a shelf for sale in any LGS or Stores) Beside if I buy any spray it is Tick repellent and I buy a ton of it. Yes, TICKS are actually my biggest concern of all. That little tiny Tick is much more scary than bears for the folks where I live.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 21, 2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old July 21, 2021, 06:12 AM   #62
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madara View Post
I would carry if legal--no exception--I grew up in the Alaskan bush,and you would be an idiot not to carry,due to bears and being in a total remote location.Now i live in Ga,and often hike/scout for hunting-i still carry.You never know what is going to happen in the wilderness--period.Be prepared.
Carrying every day is a habit for me, regardless of in the woods, or concrete Jungles. Nothing new. Violence with humans is obviously growing faster than the Bear Population. When going to the woods etc. I travel some remote roads. Usually at night. The thought of having car trouble etc. makes me feel particularly vulnerable. I think women would feel even more so. Especially certain roads that have been known for attacks over the years.
Old July 21, 2021, 07:04 AM   #63
JustJake

Quote:
I'm truly grateful I dismissed advice similar to yours ,relied on my own judgement and was not helpless when faced with this 6 foot 6 in nose to tail predatory old boar black bear. I had my Win 97 12 ga and my Ruger SBH.
Well, good thing you ignored the tree-huggers who say you only need a bit of bear spray.

Quote:
I would carry if legal--no exception--I grew up in the Alaskan bush, and you would be an idiot not to carry, due to bears and being in a total remote location. Now i live in Ga,and often hike/scout for hunting-i still carry.You never know what is going to happen in the wilderness--period. Be prepared.
Wise insight right there. Pay attention, Bucky.
Old July 21, 2021, 10:06 AM   #64
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I've been hiking/camping in N. GA since the 1970's. While it is true that 2 legged predators are by far the most likely problem black bear are common in the areas where I spend most of my time.

I've also spent a fair amount of time in the Smokys and have camped all over the west including Yellowstone. Most bear don't want any trouble and while I've seen many, I've never felt threatened. But bear do attack. There have been 3 people killed and several more injured by black bear within a 2 hour drive from my house in the last dozen years.

Virtually all problem black bear are those who have been fed by other humans. It isn't uncommon for hikers to see a bear and put out food to get a better picture. Then the bear expects food from every human they see. Most aren't actually attacking you, just aggressively trying to get your pack for food. But you could still end up injured or dead.

We had a bear a few years ago that got good at sneaking up behind hikers and stealing the packs off their backs as they walked. It was eventually killed.

With that in mind I choose a gun for 2 legged predators 1st, but something big enough to work on bear in a pinch. I used to carry a 3" or 4" 357 mag revolver and that still isn't a bad option.

But anymore I prefer some sort of semi. A 9mm loaded with some of the heavier 147 gr hardcast bullets from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap work pretty well on bear if you have to use it. I think the gun you have is a sensible minimum, but if in bear country would advise looking into the better loads for it.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=155

They worked on an Alaskan Brown bear.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alask...-a-9mm-pistol/

But I just feel better with a 10mm or 45 loaded with similar bullets. I used a G29 in 10mm for years, but wouldn't sleep with a loaded chamber.

I thought about keeping it in a holster, but still needed 2 hands to get it out of a holster not attached to my hip. I found it just as fast and a lot easier to just leave the chamber empty. Another reason for a semi is the ability to attach a light for night time use.

My go-to camping gun more recently is a Smith M&P 45 Compact with a 1911 style safety. I can attach a light, leave the chamber loaded with the safety on and use 8 round mags loaded with 255 gr Buffalo Bore ammo when carrying. Or use the longer full size 10 round mags at night. One mag loaded with conventional HP ammo, another with bear loads.

I haven’t tent-camped in a long time and being that I live down here in hot sticky Oklahoma, I probably won’t ever will unless it’s in the winter time but if I did, my 5” Sig 10mm P220 Elite would be right beside me in it’s custom-made leather holster cocked and locked with the thumb break unsnapped with a magazine full of Underwood full-power 220 grain hard casts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 21, 2021, 10:34 AM   #65
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
If I'm woken up in my sleep needing a gun I want it fully loaded and ready to go. I simply strip the holster off my belt and sleep with the holstered pistol somewhere within easy reach.

If you have a good holster it will cover the trigger and have good retention. Nothing more is needed.
I would proffer this is the best method. Have a good holster with thick leather or hard plastic, and keep it in the holster.

Last edited by zincwarrior; July 21, 2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 21, 2021, 07:10 PM   #66
Ton

I camp and backpack often and generally sleep inside of a sleeping bag. After asking myself this question a number of times over the years, I've settled with sleeping with my pants on with my P365 in a pocket holster in my pocket, chamber empty. I toss and turn alot in my sleep and often wake up a little bit disoriented, especially when sleeping somewhere unfamiliar or after a hard day of hiking. I assume that if I was attacked in my sleep by the time I became aware of what was happening I would have little to no time to respond. The last thing I want to be doing is pawing around on the ground trying to find my pistol, especially if I was actively fighting something. Keeping the chamber empty is a hard choice, however as I mentioned before I move alot and it seems to be the best compromise I can think of between safety and accessibility.
Old July 22, 2021, 04:42 AM   #67
armoredman

Last time I went tent camping was a LONG time ago in Southern Arizona, and IIRC I had an EAA Witness full size in 40SW. Nothing happened. If I was to go camping NOW, being that I am a wee bit too old and fat to hike real far, I'd probably have my normal sidearm, CZ P-10C in 9mm with standard JHP ammo, and the BREN 2 MS pistol in 5.56mm. Compact and light, and, when you're not REALLY going to be walking far, won't weight me down for long. Those would both be inside the tent. However, in reality, the next time you see me in a "campground" or such I'll probably be in an RV.
Old July 22, 2021, 05:19 AM   #68
peacefulgary

When I go camping, when sleeping in a tent or out under the stars, I wear shorts and have my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my front right pocket...which is how I carry it when I'm awake.
Old July 22, 2021, 09:08 PM   #69
JustJake

Quote:
* * * but if I did, my 5” Sig 10mm P220 Elite would be right beside me in it’s custom-made leather holster cocked and locked with the thumb break unsnapped with a magazine full of Underwood full-power 220 grain hard casts.
Well, somebody gets it. Perfect gun, prefect choice of ammo for bad-bear country.
Old July 23, 2021, 06:22 AM   #70
corneileous

Camping/sleeping while armed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Well, somebody gets it. Perfect gun, prefect choice of ammo for bad-bear country.

Thank you! Those hard casts might be a bit much if it was a two-legged predator but if I’m out in the woods, I loaded for four-legged ones which is why I specifically bought that handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by corneileous; July 23, 2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old July 23, 2021, 09:45 AM   #71
ChasHam

Many years ago when I was single, I had somehow convinced a brunette stunner way above my pay grade to take a day trip on my big motorcycle to a mountain wilderness area an hour and a half north of the city.

While sitting on a blanket in a scenic meadow having lunch, a ratty pickup with three nasty looking dudes pulled in. The driver started circling us-- his buds gawking and commenting on the young lady's appearance with a few comments about "get some."

I reached under a folded towel and extracted a 1911 Government Model which I slowly stuck in my belt-- and a spare magazine for my pocket. They beat feet in a hurry.

We "broke camp," repacked the bike saddlebags and left. End of story.
Old July 23, 2021, 10:35 AM   #72
HiBC

Daughter approached me once. Her fiance mentioned he wished he had a sidearm for when they were off in the woods,etc.
His birthday was coming and she wanted to find something. Of course,her budget was limited.
I had a Uberti 45 Colt Sheriff's model I was not using much.The gun,a holster,dies,brass,powder and 500 cast bullets....$100. Deal.

They got married. Rented van,honeymooning /camping Pacific Northwest /Cascades.

Wee hours of morning,someone pulls the side door of the van open.

Son in law came up with the 45.

Intruder skedaddled.

Who knows what the story may have been .

He's a darn fine son in law,husband,and Father. I built him an AR SDMR replica ,a 1911....started him off with a Rem 513 S 22 rifle on condition he'd buy a gun safe/security locker... I gave my daughter an M-1 carbine. Each grandkid a bolt single shot 22. He bought his own 30-06.

Even gave toddler Grandson a Ithaca Flues 12 ga SXS just so some day he'd know and carry an old side by side.

I'm grateful I can pass the tradition on.
Old July 26, 2021, 12:17 AM   #73
armoredman

Beautiful story with the perfect ending.
Old July 26, 2021, 02:36 AM   #74
Brit

The only places I venture into nowadays are at aged 85! Supermarkets, resteraunts. Had a few wee adventures there. Always carry! Glock 19 4th gen, 15 plus one in the pipe. 147g federal hollow points.
Parking lots, reverse in, always walk my wife of 48 years to her door, make sure she enters the Jeep safely, lock her door, enter my door, lock and leave. Surefire flashlight, extremely bright light! On the belt, next to my spare 17 round mag.
Had a couple of incidents over the years, no fisticuffs here in Florida, in England, Australia, yes a few! Living outside the City, all quite really, still watchout though.
Old August 8, 2021, 05:10 AM   #75
HiBC

Apparently the bears in Canada are grumpy. Third fatal bear attack in three months. Black Bear. 26 year old Woman. She was working for a Helicopter Company in Alberta transporting tree planting crew.
Article seemed to spin the reason for it off on COVID. Folks getting out more.

I suppose just about everything can be blamed on Covid , Trump , Climate Change or guns.

I don't see the connection between folks getting out in the woods for COVID R+R and a bear hitting an Airmobile tree planting crew.

But what do I know?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by HiBC; August 8, 2021 at 05:47 AM.