The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2017, 08:32 PM   #26
WVsig

Quote:
If I were going to pay 650 for a welllllll used pistol, i would just pay 950 for a new one instead. I would say 400 or new, do not even consider 650.
How many BHPs have you bought recently... LOL?

Seriously no one should buy a NIB BHP. There is no need. This is a $450 gun.

This is a $600 gun.

This Novak Custom cost me $650.

This is my 1969 C $400 beater....

$550 Alloy HP which weights the same as a Glock 19.

Last edited by WVsig; January 4, 2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old January 5, 2017, 08:45 AM   #27
Laz

Quote:
Seriously no one should buy a NIB BHP. There is no need.
I don't agree. Someone should buy new Hi Powers. Actually a good number of people should buy new Hi Powers if we want Hi Powers to continue to be manufactured.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 5, 2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Ibmikey

I agree with Larry my $400 to $550 purchases have turned into new looking pistols without a lot of additional expenditures, fortunately my bluing was free but grips from Altamont and a few McGar mags cost a few bucks. Now i have pistols that would sell for close to a grand ( I do not sell my firearms) so good investment.
Also some of those $450 pistols just leak history like the Spanish AF pistol that ended up in a South African soldiers holster ( SA markings in frame) and then to Israel where it served until imported to the US and My gunsafe.
Old January 9, 2017, 05:53 PM   #29
Model12Win

Just got in my first BHP:

A used Mk III commercial. Barely used in fantastic shape for $450 out the door. I'm stoked.
Old January 9, 2017, 11:23 PM   #30
2ndsojourn

Nice. When ya gettin the second one?
Old January 10, 2017, 11:27 AM   #31
TailGator

There is a very nice Belgian HP at my LGS, but I couldn't rake the $1K price tag out of my couch cushions. I owe them a bottle of Windex after drooling on the glass case, though.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:36 PM   #32
WVsig

The problem is that cheap BHPs is that they turn into guns like this. Its a Garthwaite custom build I had done last year. Gun started out as a like new MKIII similar to Model12Win's.

Old January 11, 2017, 09:18 AM   #33
UncleEd

WVsig,

Excellent Hi Power; I think it looks better than the Nighthawk offering including the grips.

I'm particularly drawn to the backstrap "stippling" which looks so much better than Nighthawk's "shredded stippling."

Nice job all around including the muzzle crowning and the rear sight.

Not asking but I'm thinking the cost was no more and probably a lot less than
the asking price of $2,800 for a Nighthawk.

:
Old January 11, 2017, 09:42 AM   #34
WVsig

Quote:
WVsig,

Excellent Hi Power; I think it looks better than the Nighthawk offering including the grips.

I'm particularly drawn to the backstrap "stippling" which looks so much better than Nighthawk's "shredded stippling."

Nice job all around including the muzzle crowning and the rear sight.

Not asking but I'm thinking the cost was no more and probably a lot less than
the asking price of $2,800 for a Nighthawk.

:
The Nighthawk BHP does not do a lot for me but its entirely a style issue. From what I understand they are excellent shooters.

Mr Garthwaite's detail work is amazing. One day I will send him a 1911 to work on. He is not cheap but with a LNIB used base gun my custom BHP from him was less than a NIB Nighthawk.

Mr Garthwaite is a BHP master. I have had or have custom BHPs from Jim West, Novak, APW Cogan, Garthwaite and Don Williams. One day if I hit the lottery I will get one from Ted Yost.

The two smiths I would recommend over and over again would be Mr Garthwaite and Don Williams of The Action Works. Both are masters of the BHP. They can do almost anything you want short of checkering the grip straps. These days only Yost will do that and only on some guns which are thick enough in the grip strap area.

These two gentleman are so easy to work with. They normally have a wait list and it is not a fast process but it is worth it. Don did an alloy BHP for me and it is one of my favorite carry guns. It weights about the same as a Glock 19. He installed the following

C&S Hammer
Trigger Job
Reliability package
Front & Backstrap Stippling
Beveled Mag well
Smooth out package
Garthwaite wide trigger
Don Williams custom wide safety
NP3 frame and black Rogard on the slide & controls
Harrison 1911 sights with Tritium Front and rear.
Spegel Grips

BHPs are addictive and I love shooting them!

Old January 11, 2017, 03:13 PM   #35
drobs

I paid $450 for a real nice reparked CDI Fn Hi Power MK3.
$600 I'd be looking for lightly used Browning or FN. $600 is way too much for an Israeli PD FN!!!