The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2013, 09:56 AM   #26
Edward429451

Quote:
I don't know everything and don't claim to. I learned something new today. But there is a way you can correct people without insulting their knowledge or lack of common sense.
Yes, I hear you. Sorry if you was offended. I really didn't mean it that way. A lot of newbies come to the forum and my intent was to give them an alternate view and perspective of what their dealing with and how to approach things like this (stepping outside the boundaries of recommended practices). It's possible, if you use your head but do approach with caution. So I was really talking to them more than you.

I put a lot of lead through my G21 when I had it. but the 45acp is the lowest pressure cartridge of the Glock lineup. I never had a problem. I always shot my jacketed first though.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:25 PM   #27
BigTex308

Re: Reloading for a Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward429451 View Post
Yes, I hear you. Sorry if you was offended. I really didn't mean it that way. A lot of newbies come to the forum and my intent was to give them an alternate view and perspective of what their dealing with and how to approach things like this (stepping outside the boundaries of recommended practices). It's possible, if you use your head but do approach with caution. So I was really talking to them more than you.

I put a lot of lead through my G21 when I had it. but the 45acp is the lowest pressure cartridge of the Glock lineup. I never had a problem. I always shot my jacketed first though.
It's all good. I over reacted to it anyways.

And I hear ya with the new guys. Until you have a little experience its important to stay within published data. You can branch out a little but only very cautiously and constantly on the lookout for excessive pressure signs.

Sorry I over reacted to your comment. I just read it wrong.

Ike
Old May 11, 2013, 05:55 PM   #28
Electric Head

Quote:
You can run lead in a glock. Just CLEAN YOUR GUN!!!! I like running a few FMJs at the bottom of each mag to help clean it out too. But you need a solvent to keep it clean. Do it after each outing.

Or just get an aftermarket barrel.

Or shoot plated bullets.

Keep you loads light and you'll be good.

Ike
This is the consensus I get from everyone at the range with a glock, leads like any other handgun.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:10 PM   #29
wncchester

I'm no Glock 'expert' but a friend of mine's Glock with factory barrel shoots my .45 ACP 200 gr. cast loads quite well and with no leading. I suspect the answer is a good bullet fit, a sufficenty hard alloy and an excellant bullet lube ... and maybe try not to load so hot you bulge the cases. And I suspect missing those points accounts for the variable results posted above.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:14 PM   #30
BigTex308

Re: Reloading for a Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncchester View Post
I'm no Glock 'expert' but a friend of mine's Glock with factory barrel shoots my .45 ACP 200 gr. cast loads quite well and with no leading. I suspect the answer is a good bullet fit, a sufficenty hard alloy and an excellant bullet lube ... and maybe try not to load so hot you bulge the cases. And I suspect missing those points accounts for the variable results posted above.
The biggest reason, in addition to those you mentioned is that the .45acp is a low pressure cartridge. That'd be my guess anyway. It's safe to do as long as you clean your barrel regularly. and like you said, don't load too hot.

Ike
Old May 11, 2013, 06:48 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

I like running a few FMJs at the bottom of each mag to help clean it out too.

(I don't know how to make a quote box in my post, so I just put it in the subject field.)

I don't condone or endorse the practice, but I've been finishing off my day of lead shooting out at the range with jacket bullets for decades. I have never had a problem.

I know better than to load lead hot. So I doubt if my barrels are very leaded. It's just a practice I've been doing since I started shooting (1983). Never had any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. All my barrels look fine too.

Just sayin'.