The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Poindexter

How bad is it to clean BP from a New Vaquero?

I got bit by the black powder bug, pretty hard.

I have been running black powder only in Redhawk for a few weeks now. The Redhawk has been apart a few times, getting a Q tip in between the transfer bar and the cylinder lock and so on is pretty easy.

I have a New Vaquero I am thinking about bringing to the party, it hasn't lit a single round of Holy Black just yet, and the grip has never been unscrewed from the frame.

If I start running in it, I am pretty well going to have to take the grip off to get at the action bits inside there, yes? Should I order a replacement set of screws now for when I wear the first set out? Should I order two or three sets of screws? torque spec? I don't see one in the manual from Ruger - but I might have overlooked it.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
leo96150

I shoot APP in my .357 stainless Vaqueros. All I do is to clean the barrel, cylinder, and exterior with hot soapy water. To clean the hammer/transfer bar/hand area I just flush with Balistol. When I finally took it apart to put in softer springs, it was spotless inside. I don't think I'd do any different if they were blued. I average 2 to 3 SASS matches a month.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:58 AM   #3
darkgael

BP

I have shot a lot of BP in my .45 Colt New Vaquero. Take out the cylinder when done. Wash the frame/ barrel in warm, soapy water. Wash the cylinder.
Then I flush with pure alcohol and wipe the thing dry. (could also use WaterDisplacement-40). Oil. Reassemble.
Been some years now. No corrosion.
Pete
Old May 6, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

I've never shot BP in my NV but am very familiar with cleaning it. I guess I would ask this question . . . . "To what extent were the original SAA revolvers cleaned?"

They certainly weren't torn down all the way after being shot. They were "working tools" that when shot, were cleaned but I doubt if they received cleaning to the extent that we do today - they sure didn't have all of the fancy goops, sauces, solutions and oils that we have today.

I would think that if you remove the cylinder like you would if you were shooting any ammo in it, clean the bore, chambers, inner/outer frame and flush the hammer, crossbar, etc with whatever you usually use for BP clean up (I usually just use hot soapy water and then rinse for my BP guns - (there are other great suggestios as well such as windex, solutions you can mix up, etc. - do a search on here in regards to cleaning) and then thorough dry everything followed by oiling, that you'd be fine. The one area that I'd keep an eye on would be the ejector rod to make sure that area was completely cleaned. Then oil it down good.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Want to clean it thoroughly?

From Ruger, how to disassemble the Ruger SA Revolver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Note: The video does not show how to reassemble it. Watch it thoroughly and note the location of parts before you remove them.

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; May 6, 2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: insert note
Old May 6, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Boomer58cal

I've been shooting BP through my black/red hawks for years. Clean with soap and water. Rinse with alcohol. Done.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Hawg

Remove the grips and cylinder and drop all the metal in hot soapy water. Run a couple of patches thru the bore and chambers. Shake parts well and spray with a liberal amount of WD-40 to displace water. Follow with lube of your choice. Reassemble.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:55 PM   #8
eastbank

my ruger old army,s are easy to clean,i take the grips off,remove the cylinder and put it in a large plastic square pan thats 4" deep. with very hot soapy water and let it soak for 15 minutes. then take a nylon brush to the barrel and cylinder and then back in the pan with new hot water and swish it around then under the hot water tap in the garage,shake out excess water and put it on a small hot plate at 150 degrees when dry,spray inside and out with wd40,wipe off and good to go. while its soaking i put my shooting gear and supplies away,so its a short job. eastbank.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

What HH said. He always beats me to it.
His advice is spot on.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
jlb43

I know a guy that shoots cowboy action on horseback almost every weekend. He tells me he takes the grips off and removes the cylinder and puts the frame and cylinder in a dishwasher. When done he blows it off with compressed air and hoses it down with WD-40. Don't know what his wife thinks of it though.