The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 20, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Tawngs

Keeping A Firearm In New Jersey.

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on these forums for a bit searching for information and finally decided to register hoping you guys/gals could answer a couple of questions for me.

I am currently an active duty military member stationed in New Jersey, I recently purchased a handgun in the state of Ohio from an outdoor store while on leave. I called to confirm with the New Jersey State Troopers Headquarters if I needed to do anything special to bring the handgun into the state of New Jersey with me for the remainder of my enlistment and or orders. They said I had to do nothing since I purchased the handgun in the state of Ohio, just make sure I transported it correctly and kept a copy of the proof of purchase with me at all times.

I figured that was sufficient until a buddy at work of mine told me that it is illegal for me to bring a handgun into the state of New Jersey without obtaining a FID card (Firearms Id Card). And some other items he was talking about.

Was the NJSP correct in telling me that I could keep the handgun with me in my apartment in New Jersey without obtaining anything from the state of New Jersey, as long as I have the proof of purchase (receipt and paperwork etc.) with the weapon from the store I purchased it from?

I appreciate any and all help you guys/gals can offer.
Old December 20, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
hermannr

You need to look at NJ law and look specifically at/for exemptions for military on active duty. There are a lot of firearms exemptions just based on active duty...I do know that. Look in handgunlaw.us for a link to the NJ laws.

In NJ I know you need a permit to Purchase In NJ, I'm not sure you need a permit to own. It has been many many years since I was stationed at Fort Monmouth (mid 60's) and I just don't remember, and the law may have changed.
Old December 21, 2011, 12:20 AM   #3
war_elephant

I am a retired LEO who has dealt with firearms and NJ for 28 years, now work in a gun shop (more fun ) The NJSP is correct. You dont need to get a FID but... you cannot buy ammo for the handgun without a FID, so I would apply for one. You can only take the handgun directly to the range to shoot, and then directly home when you are done. Dont make any other stops with the gun in your vehicle. ** IMPORTANT** keep the ammo in a bag seperate from the handgun. It is illegal in NJ to have the handgun and ammo together in a vehicle. Make sure you keep a copy of the paperwork from when you bought the handgun with you when you are at the range. Some NJ police are now confiscating handguns until you can PROVE that you legally own them, ergo the paperwork from when you bought it. While you can own hollowpoints, and take them to the range following the rules above, I would recommend that you stay away from them in NJ. And most improtantly, when your enlistment is done, get the He** out of NJ as fast as you can. I will help with any other questions as best as I can.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Keep it on base, shoot it on base, buy ammo on base, no problem. Leave the base with it, as the previous poster stated, big problem!

NJ, where I was born and raised, has awful gun laws. Here's hoping you get a transfer soon!