The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
oneshot460

New to sight and Reloading

Hello to All,
Very new to reloading. I have a TC 460 S&W 16" barrel, 1-16 twist, this is a pistol. I have been buying Corbon 275 grn ammo. I have done a little research on reloading equipment, but from what I have seen, can not justify reloading. maybe I am looking in all the wrong places. By the time I buy brass, powder, primers, bullets, the cost is close to the same. Please prove me wrong. If you can what is a good reloader? Lee, RCBS, Hornady, etc.? How dangerous is this to do? Sorry for all the stupid questions I just do not know. I am 99% hunter, so that is what this is for. I would like to shoot more, but it is not cheap, as you all are aware. I can get 20 rnds of Corbon for about $63.00, help me to reload cheaper and get the same if not better results. I hunt all lower 48 and next year Africa plains game.
Thanks again.
Aim small, miss small..
Old January 7, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Where are you buying your components?

Quote:
By the time I buy brass, powder, primers, bullets, the cost is close to the same.
I have a friend with a .500 S&W. While he has bought a few boxes of commercial rounds, he started reloading at the same time he bought the gun. $3.00 a round is a bit steep. Reloading for the .500 costs between 60 and 75 cents apiece for the same performance.

If you take the cost of your components and plug them into any number of web sites designed to calculate the cost of reloading, you will see your real (ongoing) costs.

This is just one of many
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Thanks for asking our advice and welcome.

Lost Sheep

P.S. Besides reducing the cost of practice ammo, it is possible to make more accurate ammunition than factory because you can tailor it to your gun and sometimes you can use better bullets than available from stock retailers (custom ammo makers are another story, but if you load your own, you are your own custom maker, right?)

Last edited by Lost Sheep; January 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:59 PM   #3
oneshot460

Thanks Lost Sheep. I appreciate your time to reply to my thread. Sound advice.