The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Mike-Mat

Reloading the 5.7x28 - Five Seven

I did a search on the Handloading section of the forum and didn't find anything.

Is anyone reloading for this round?

What size primer does it use (small pistol)?

I heard the case has a coating on it.
What's that about?
What's the benefit?
Does it make them hard or impossible to reload?

Mike
Old July 29, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
hank_scorpio

everything you need to know about the 5.7 can be found here-

http://www.fivesevenforum.com
Old July 29, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Mike-Mat

OK. Well after reading 7 pages about case coating laquer and how it's needed for the magazine to feed properly and how it comes off from multiple reloading, I'm convinced. I want nothing to do with this round. The solutions they were talking about were very time consuming. Special acids to remove the old laquer, re-spraying laquer on the cases, but you need the right kind of laquer or it will melt and possibly stick in the chamber. Holy Crap!

Hard enough to find a place to reload and time to reload. Now you'll need a chemical lab with washing station and exhaust vents for the fumes, so you can work with acids. You'll also need a painting area away from the furnace and water heater (exhaust vent required again). Don't forget the Peg board, to hold the rounds when you paint them. Do they realize who much extra handling that is for these rounds?

I like shooting, so I reload to improve my loads and reduce my costs. But it is some work and it does take more time than I would like (I'd rather be shooting than reloading). 5.7x28 sound like nothing but work, and finding solutions for a "work around" to create usable bullets that wont jam in the magazine.

5.7x28 is not the round for me!

Mike Mattera
Old July 29, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Ike666

5.7 x 28

I too was intimidated when I read all that material on the 5.7 forum!

But I forged ahead.

If you're reloading for anything t hat uses the top-mount 50-round magazine the lacquer is much more important. Not so much for the USG pistol.

I clean them with an ultrasonic cleaner and 50-50 solution of Simplegreen and water. Does okay - not great.

I'm using a Dillon RL550 and got the special shellplate from Elite and it works great. Dillon wants nothing to do with 5.7x28 reloading citing problems with primer placement, but they do have a powder funnel that works fine.

It's really not that much more than reloading precision .308s. I think of it as a Zen exercise and meditate my way through 100 at a run.
Old July 30, 2010, 06:42 PM   #5
chris in va

FWIW my Lyman manual suggests the 5.7 not be reloaded due to complexities of the brass getting worked. I believe it mentions neck splitting is an issue after the first reload.