The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2009, 10:37 PM   #26
dpturbo29

+1 for Beretta

I have two Berettas. An older model 1200 and a fairly new Xtrema II KO. The interesting thing is that the 1200 is built on the Benelli recoil operated action. It is a carbon copy of the older Benelli Montefeltro Super 90. Everything from the barrels to the forends will interchange.

I make this point because even though the 1200 can only chamber 2 3/4 shells it kicks harder than the Xtrema II does with 3 1/2 inch steel duck loads. For high volume shooting I would go with a gas gun from any manufacturer over an inertia driven action.

That being said I haven't shot the new Vinci from Benelli yet. Trying to convince a buddy to pony up that cash so I can sample it.
Old August 1, 2009, 08:29 AM   #27
oneounceload

Quote:
I make this point because even though the 1200 can only chamber 2 3/4 shells it kicks harder than the Xtrema II does with 3 1/2 inch steel duck loads. For high volume shooting I would go with a gas gun from any manufacturer over an inertia driven action.
Inertia guns have a harder recoil than a gas gun. They are usually lighter, adding to that recoil effect. If the stock doesn't fit you as well, that will also add to that effect, giving you the 'cheek slap' one often hears about
Old August 1, 2009, 02:41 PM   #28
bsbllrooster10

Benelli

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II and I love it. The comfortech stock is a shoulder saver with the 3.5" magnums. Its been 100% reliable with anything from light dove loads to the big magnum loads. A great gun.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:46 PM   #29
JWT

Another Remington 1100 fan. Lots of them around, affordable, well proven design, very light recoil.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:05 AM   #30
.351winchester

Quote:
Personally, I like the Benelli - my favorite is the Super Sport
HELL YEAH. Not really my kind of shotty but I was blown away handling and firing this baby. Gimme one of these over a Perazzi any day, seriously.

Heather, for the money, the Mossberg 930 action can't be beat. I'm a riot gun man and the SPX model can hang all day with it's 3 or 4 similar competitors, all of which cost 3-4x as much though my former roommate had a Charles Daly Field Tactical poorman's M4 that looked and felt solid. I dunno what you have in mind, the clay/hunting and turkey setups should be just as good. The Benelli M2 series are butter smooth (and have a full defensive model selection), and the auto I'd really love to own on this particular day is the Remington 1100 Tac 4, intended for 3 Gun comp but would also be nice for HD, and shotgun plinking, a favorite pastime of mine...but I got a Saiga 12 for that already.
Old August 2, 2009, 01:34 PM   #31
tandom

best sa shtguns

I agree with JWT the Rem 1100 #one all time, followed by the Browning B2000 in my opinion.
Old August 2, 2009, 01:51 PM   #32
sheepman

Several of the ladies that I have shot with like and shoot the Remington 1100.
The best advice has already been given, try to shoot as many different guns as possible and see which feels/shoots the best for you, no one can pick a shotgun for you. Good luck and shoot safe. Bill
Old August 5, 2009, 05:33 PM   #33
WAPITI_ASSASSIN

The Russian Saiga 12 is the first that comes to mind
Old August 5, 2009, 05:36 PM   #34
model18

Semi Auto Shotguns

I'm kinda partial to the Rem 1100's. Best bang for the buck!
Old August 5, 2009, 09:47 PM   #35
gunman1960

to me, you cant beat the remington 1100, easy to shoot,never jams,easy to clean,,less kick,not expensive.
Old August 7, 2009, 09:46 PM   #36
AARguy

Mossberg 930

Asking what shotgun is best is like asking what vehicle is best. It depends on what you want to accomplish. In the case of a vehicle, is it good mileage? Hauling capacity? Load towing ability? What's better? An SUV? A four wheel off-roader? A two seater sports car? A long bed truck? Well, it depends what you want to do. Same with a shotgun.

My main purpose to own a shotgun is personal defense with the obvious secondary mission of having fun shooting competitively with friends. In a defensive situation, you don't have time to deal with chokes. You need something that can fire pretty much whatever you shove into it that is handy, from rifled slugs, to buckshot, to sabot slugs, etc. The center-bored Mossberg 935 meets that requirement. Side by side or over/unders have two "ready rounds" available. Not a good thing if SHTF. The 7+1 of a Mossberg is much better. Pumps are great to scare away cat burglars with the sound of chambering a round. But in a real fight, that chambering noise tells the bad guys where you are. Again, I'll take semi-auto. They won't hear a thing if you're on target.

Hunters have different requirements. Professional competitive shooters have even other requirements. For me? I'll take lots of power, quick chambering, and the ability to load whatever type round I have handy... RIGHT NOW!

BTW, round type is important. We live in a single family home, so penetration is less of an issue than in an apartment. Some folks like #4 or #1 buck, since it won't take out a lot of your house along with the bad guy. I like my wife's attitude: "We load 00 buck. We'll worry about renovations after we're safe."

One final note. I would never buy a new Mercedes. That little corporate symbol on the hood isn't worth the extra thousands. That's my basic attitude about Benelli too.
Old August 7, 2009, 10:10 PM   #37
greyson97

well, in light of, more rounds, reliable, eats anything, designed for home defense

i recommend a benelli m4 if you can afford one and get your hands on one.

yes, id also like to echo the sentiment, there is no BEST anything. Honestly, I'd have multiple shotguns for multiple purposes. one for HD one for clay/hunting

I mean i have multiple firearms, one for conceal carry, one for the range, one for hitting stuff at 100-300 yards, one for hitting airborne stuff, etc.

firearm ownership would be really boring if you got some magical firearm that fulfilled all purposes. youd just have one gun that does everything, and thats that :P

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 7, 2009, 11:56 PM   #38
mathman

Quote:
to me, you cant beat the remington 1100, easy to shoot,never jams,easy to clean,,less kick,not expensive
Never jams? That might be true for you...but it most definitely is not true in general.

Quote:
Some folks like #4 or #1 buck, since it won't take out a lot of your house along with the bad guy. I like my wife's attitude: "We load 00 buck. We'll worry about renovations after we're safe."
I think the home renos are going to be about the same no matter if you use #4, #1 or 00 Buck...so you should use what you feel works best. From what I have read, #1 buck is supposed to be pretty hard to beat.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:22 PM   #39
RJM

I had a Benelli Super Black Eagle version 1 for several years and dealt with the recoil and tendency to not cycle 2 3/4" target loads and finally got sick of it enough to trade it in.

I now have a Winchester Super X3 and just bought a Browning Silver lightning both in 12 guage and for me, the browning gas sytem guns just kick the butt of the benelli I had. The recoil is noticeably lighter and the winchester will digest everything I have shot through it - 3.5" heavy steel to 2 3/4" light stuff. The Winchester has the dura coating stuff, which is surprisingly grippy and is great out in the duck blind. I just love this shotgun.
Old August 23, 2009, 10:11 PM   #40
Recoiljunkie44

After almost a hundred years of production one cannot simply write off the A5 They feel just right and point like an arm extension! If you don't want to spend the money on a belguim A5 you can always go for a remngton copy they are reliable as hell also!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 24, 2009, 12:45 AM   #41
226nsw

I have a Beretta 391 I love it soft shooting works with any load and can go tons of rounds before it needs cleaning just keep it lubed. So many good semiautos out there just buy a good used one and save $$

Tags
semi auto shotgun , shotgun