The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

TW25 anyone?

What are your gun grease options? I want a new one. I'm a little over TW25.

I've used them on my 1911's, Glocks, SIG's, Hk's..You name it. I think I'm about ready to try something else.

They're great and all..maybe I'm wrong though, but do you need to clean it and reapply every month? Cause when I do my monthly break down of my CCW from dust, dirt, and lint (which I generally use a gas duster and a silicone rag periodically in that month). When I break the gun down, the TW25 grease seems somewhat dried and crusty.

What grease do you guys use out there? And is TW25 supposed to be that way? What are your experiences with it?
Old March 5, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2
BarryLee

I use Enos’s Slide Glide on the rails on my SIGs and other places where grease is appropriate.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 5, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
geetarman

I went to AutoZone and bought a tube of white lithium grease.

That is what I use. At the range I might put some CLP on the rails while I shoot.

Get the guns home and clean them and put grease back on the rails. . .just not very much of it.

I hear so many pros and cons about grease versus oil. Blah blah blah grease attracts dust, oil runs off. Rem oil is too thin, 90 weight motor honey is too thick.

Just here in the desert you can go to the range with your AR and someone will look at the BCG and if they don't see white grease, well you are going to die and go to the devil. Others just down the line are going to tell you to get the grease off and use oil.

It never ends.

I use oil very sparingly on my Glocks. They seem to run better a little dry.

I use grease on all the others along with some oil.

I know I have offended some and have sinned greatly. Mea Culpa.

Now for a bit of Middleton's Very Rare Irish. I will feel better.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
sigcurious

When I was using tw25 I didn't have enough guns that any of them sat for an extended period of time. But I'd imagine any "wet" lube, whether grease, oil or other, will eventually dry out or evaporate.

I currently use froglube, from what I can tell it doesn't dry out very quickly. I recently ran some guns that had been sitting for a few months and they worked just fine.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
9mm

The last time I broke down my Glock 19 was a month ago, and I didn't break it down for 5+ months. had a big dust bunny in the back lol.. Magazine well/all that was dust/lint lightly though, just a big bunny by the firing pin area stop/area. I used to wipe my gun down with oil after each time I carried, now I just wipe the slide with a cloth to remove lint/any mostiture. Glocks frames don't need it that much, maybe once every other week now. Went like this through summer and no rust.

I put oil on the rails to lube it, but I usually runs dry by the time I shoot LOL!. Never had a problem, though I don't shoot that much.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:04 PM   #6
PSP

The rerason I use TW25b is because it lasts so long. I've gone several months between lube checks and it always seems to be right where I left it. I use both the grease in the tube and the lighter oil in the plunger type dispenser. I've tried others but TW25b is as good as I've found.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
AK103K

I used TW25b for a number of years, with good results. These days, like sigcurious, Ive also switched over to FrogLube.

From what you say youre seeing, it almost sounds like you might be using to much in your application. Ive seen guns that had to much grease on them, for a long time, and the grease you could see looked as you describe. I would imagine if you added dust and dirt to the equation, it would be even worse.

With my SIG's, 1911's, and guns with that type rail, I used to just put a small amount on my finger, and rub it between it and my thumb, and then lightly across the rails and around the barrel. With my Glocks, I just put a very small dab on each rail tab and wipe the barrel.

Its not that it looks like you "coat" the metal, as much as its just that the metal looks "shiny/wet".

If you live in a dusty/dirty environment, you might want to make your cleanings a little more frequent. I usually have to wipe the outside of mine down and hit it (and its holster) with an air can every other day or so.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

I don't know, I'm really shy with the lube on my Glocks especially. It still does that...clumpiness.

I put more on my 1911's and SIG's. Apply and spread it out. It still gets all screwy.

Maybe it's the Miami humidity? I stopped using oil a while ago. Cause after a little while I'd field strip the gun and the darn thing is either bone dry or has run all the way to the front of the gun.

That was with Hoppe's No.9 lubricant and some other brands I forgot a little while ago.

I've heard people also mention "slide glide". That sounds like it was made strictly for guns.

I don't have any issues with TW25 function wise. Just saying it looks crusty after a week or so. If there's something better to try or someone else feels the same about TW25..I seek their POV.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:19 AM   #9
18DAI

I'm sticking with TW25B. Does everything its advertised to do and everything I need done.

No reason to seek out another product, for me. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI
Old March 6, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
sigcurious

This may be a silly question, do you mix up your tw25 before use? I noticed that when the tube sits a liquid separates out, and gets squirted out first. Kinda like mustard or ketchup thats been sitting there.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
AK103K

Ive been using the FrogLube "paste" in place of grease, mainly because the FrogLube isnt supposed to be compatible with other things.

So far, it seems to work as advertised, although I really dont see a whole lot of difference between the two as far as lube function goes. They both work.

Downside to the FrogLube as a cleaner is, its not a copper solvent, which can be an issue with some things. Another thing is, its not cheap.

As I said earlier, maybe this is more of a "hygiene" issue, than it is a lube issue. Maybe you just need to break your gun down more frequently, maybe weekly, instead of monthly, and see how it goes. I live, work, and play in a dusty, dirty environment, and in the summer especially, I have to clean the guns and gear I carry at least weekly, and many times, a couple of times a week. Those dust bunnies seem to multiply faster than the real thing.