The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1
austinm

getting started reloading

I want to start reloading .223 and i wanted to know what i will need to do this. I have loaded before at my neighbors house but they are moving and i want to keep on loading. What do i need and how much will it cost?
Old December 31, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Sevens

There are threads pinned to the top of this forum that will give you a start.
Also, try the search engine, we have dozens of these questions every month. Folks get worn out answering the same thing, so try and do a little of the work for us!
Old December 31, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Kjeil

Well I can give you recent first hand experience. I just started getting setup for 223 myself.

From just before Christmas until now I've spent $1142.56. I've got enough consumables for about 1000 rounds.

Of course the press you buy makes a big difference, I started with the Hornady classic kit. The little stuff will eat you alive, it seems like every time you turn around you need something else (pocket reamer, shell holders, hardware to bolt your equipment down, heavier plywood for the bench, etc).

I've done the math though and it will still be worth it once volume ramps up but only if you are looking for the heavier loads. You only save about a buck a box (of 20) if you are just looking for 55gr FMJ. But you can save about $20-25 a box for something like 69gr Sierra Matchking.

"If thou hast not a sword, sell thy cloak and buy one"
Luke 22:36
Old December 31, 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
CoolRide

Good Grief.

If you have been reloading, you should have at least a basic idea of what you need already.

Welcome to the site.

Sammy