The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 17, 2008, 05:24 PM   #26
wyocarp

JohnKsa, I understand the process thank you very much. I was commenting that I noticed no difference in the amount of pressure needed to insert a new magazine either way in my G20.
Old February 17, 2008, 05:27 PM   #27
mountainclmbr

I practice what I shoot. If there are problems I might change before getting a different gun. But, maybe not. I have not changed from full capacity yet.
Old February 17, 2008, 05:34 PM   #28
IdahoG36

I always load my first mag to capacity and then chamber a round, and my spare mags are loaded to one less than maximum capacity. It is less stress on the mag springs and helps them to last longer and perform reliably.
For all of you that state the "need" for that extra round in a SD handgun, the average self defense shooting is over in three rounds or less fired.
I used to be in that camp. I felt the need to carry 25-30 rounds for my CCW. Then I realized a few things-
A)If I need 25-30 rounds of handgun ammunition in a SD situation, I am in over my head and should have brought a rifle.
B)Shot placement is king.
C)We don't have roaming gangs of criminals where I live.
D)Zombies aren't real.
My winter carry gun is a Springfield XD .45acp Compact, and for summertime carry, a NAA Guardian .32 acp. 10 rounds and 7 rounds respectively.
It took me a while to overcome this "need" to carry a ton of ammunition for my CCW, but I looked at my surroundings, the community I live in, and the low crime rate, and realized that I am well armed with 7 or 10 rounds.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:08 PM   #29
Wuchak

Yes, always. The P-3AT is the only semi I carry and I want the extra round of .380. I shoot it this way at the range so I know it's reliable. Mag springs are made to be under compression. If the extra little bit of pressure on the top round from having the mag in the gun is a concern then it's time to change to better magazine springs.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:20 PM   #30
Boris Bush

Wuchak

I carry my P32 the same way and always top it off at the range before I shoot. It has never failed me. I agree on the mag spring thing too. I will add, the engineers that make them probably expect the mags to be fully loaded and in the mag well locked.

FWIW I had an older SIG P226 that was a tight fit fully loaded, and I got a newer machined slide one and it worked fine with a fully loaded mag inserted on a forward slide, with the same exact mags.......
Old February 17, 2008, 06:35 PM   #31
IdahoG36

I should have clarified in my post, I will top off my single stack mags, but not my double stack. My NAA Guardian .32acp has a mag capacity of 6 rounds, so I chamber a round and top it off. I just don't top off my double stack mags.
Old February 17, 2008, 11:15 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

wyocarp,

You said:
Quote:
I just got out my G20 and noticed absolutely no difference between having a bullet down the pipe or not when locking a fully loaded magazine in place.
"Having a bullet down the pipe" means that a round is chambered. Whether or not a round is chambered has no effect on how much effort it takes to lock in a fully loaded mag. Is that not what you meant to say?
Quote:
. I was commenting that I noticed no difference in the amount of pressure needed to insert a new magazine either way in my G20.
Ok, just to refresh my memory I snagged one of my brand new G20 hi-caps (never been loaded) and filled it up. Then, with the slide forward (i.e. not locked back) I locked the mag into place in a G20, removed the mag, stripped a round out and locked it into the G20 again. BIG difference--it's significantly easier with the magazine downloaded by one. Dunno what else to say 'bout that...
Old February 18, 2008, 12:20 AM   #33
nemoaz

Never heard of any federal agency, state/local LE agency, or any military that teaches carrying one less round than capacity in a pistol Nor any experts. Lotsa independent testing and shooting going on, yet no one suggests carrying less than full capacity in a quality handgun. I'll keep doing what the real experts recommend, carrying my pistols at full capacity, 12+1, 15+1 whatever.

Longarms- many teach to carry less than full capacity. My UMP and AR mags are two rounds down. Never heard of a problem with a pump shotgun carrying its capacity.
Old February 18, 2008, 12:24 AM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
..yet no one suggests carrying less than full capacity in a quality handgun.
As I pointed out earlier, Beretta suggests it in their 92/96 pistols. They don't fit into one of the categories of groups you list, but it's hard to totally discount what they say about their own firearms in the owner's manuals.

If you read this article you'll find another company that recommends downloading their pistol mags by a round. http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...ns/HG_1207_07/

From a practical standpoint, if you have a gun like my G20 where it can be hard to seat a fully loaded magazine, downloading it by a round makes it much less likely that you'll bobble a reload by failing to seat the magazine.

Again, I'm not saying it's a must/should kind of thing, but clearly in some cases manufacturers seem to believe there's a benefit and it's not hard to see how it could help in certain guns and certain situations.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:28 AM   #35
Creature

Quote:
I do rotate the top round frequently, and check for bullet setback.
Wouldn't crimping prevent setback? Maybe this is a whole other topic, but what causes set back and why is it such a big deal?
Old February 18, 2008, 10:21 AM   #36
David Armstrong

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The basic rule is that for double stacks I download. Some older studies showed that the most likely malfunction for double stacks was with the first round in a fully loaded mag. Don't know if that is still true after 30 years, but I'll take probable reliability over probable need for 1 more round. Browning used to (again, 30 years ago) recommend 1 round down in their Hi-Power mags. If I don't have at least 1/4" of compression left I will also download a round for ease in seating the mag.
Old February 18, 2008, 11:00 AM   #37
Mannlicher

yes, I always chamber a round, then remove the magazine, and top it off. Just no reason not to do it.
My 1911 guns, and my CZ guns don't seem to mind a bit.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 18, 2008, 11:24 AM   #38
BloodyBucket03

Topping Off Mag

I never top of my mags. You will end up stressing out the springs in your magazine and when you having to use your weapon in a situation a chance of having a jam can occur. So what I do is I load my mags at half capacity + 1 in the chamber and every couple weeks I rotate my mags around.
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old February 19, 2008, 02:32 AM   #39
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
what causes set back and why is it such a big deal?
Setback is when the bullet is pushed back into the case. It can happen to a round during chambering if it is not crimped properly or to a round that is repeatedly chambered, even if it IS crimped properly.

Setback reduces the case volume which, in turn, increases chamber pressure upon firing. Some calibers/loadings are particularly sensitive to setback (notably the 180gr .40S&W) and in a round that is sensitive to setback the pressure increase can be sufficient to cause damage to the firearm.
Quote:
So what I do is I load my mags at half capacity + 1 in the chamber and every couple weeks I rotate my mags around.
Underloading by two rounds is pretty conservative--underloading by half AND rotating your mags every couple of weeks is overkill.
Old February 19, 2008, 03:37 AM   #40
shiky

and its also harmful to the springs in the mags. Keeping springs compressed does not wear them out...thats just an old wives tale. constantly compressing and depressing them will.
Old February 19, 2008, 07:16 AM   #41
gordo_gun_guy

Creature:

JohnKsa said it all re setback. I think that was one of the few "problems" I learned about soley through reading gunzines, and I was darned sure surprised that it actually happened to me once!

And, I'll tell on myself: being an engineer by academic training, of course I saved that round, took it to the range, and shot it. I didn't observe any change in felt recoil (from higher pressure due to reduced case volume), the gun didn't blow up, and the next round fed. Still, I would NEVER carry such a round, and having not been killed by curiosity the first time, will NEVER chamber and fire a deformed round again....

Last edited by gordo_gun_guy; February 19, 2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typos
Old February 19, 2008, 08:35 AM   #42
tegemu

Of course, why would you short yourself one round, delay your response time while you jacked in a round, when seconds count, Often you only have one hand available for gun handling, why handicap yourself.
Old February 19, 2008, 11:02 AM   #43
mamboreta

My P226 at home is always "almost" full. I mean: one round short. Next to my P226 are my other two magazines, one round short each one of them. 14 + 1 + 16 + 9. It´s almost a box of ammo, and that´s enough for me

Most of the use I give to the gun is entertainment, putting holes at the local range, but if I have to carry, I don´t see my chances of surviving being dramatically reduced by having 30 shots instead of 32.

And that´s why I carry a revolver .
Old February 19, 2008, 04:51 PM   #44
jabotinsky

I don't carry with a round chambered, so it's always topped off!
Old February 21, 2008, 02:06 PM   #45
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
My Dad's 1911A1

Was in his night stand with a GI 7 rd mag topped off and one down the tube for 20+ years. When he died I fired all 8 rounds and they fed flawlessly as did the 7 rounds in his spare mag. I top mine off and have never had any problems.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:57 AM   #46
JohnKSa
Staff

Yup, a good quality, standard capacity, single stack mag shouldn't need to be underloaded. Not always the case with a doublestack magazine, particularly if the manufacturer was bent on getting the absolute maximum capacity possible out of the size available.
Old February 22, 2008, 02:15 PM   #47
B.N.Real

I've had several auto pistols that did'nt like that last round in the magazine.

Just make sure you chamber a round in the gun,if it's safe to carry that way and delete one round from the mag.

You should'nt have to use a prybar to get your magazine in a pistol.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:17 PM   #48
BloodyBucket03

Quote:
Underloading by two rounds is pretty conservative--underloading by half AND rotating your mags every couple of weeks is overkill.
You are entitled to your opinion. If you have six rounds and 1 in the chamber how many more do you need. The only place where I carried a full magazine and needed to was in Iraqi. I don't believe our local neighborhoods are a combats zone that have armed gunman with AK's and RPG's waiting to shoot at us!
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old February 22, 2008, 03:27 PM   #49
stephen426

I've also noticed that it is difficult to lock the mag in place if I top off or insert a fully loaded mag into the gun with the slide closed. I feel it is more of an issue with my Les Baer TR Special. Haven't noticed it in my other guns. Maybe they build their guns too tight. I don;t top off my other guns anyways. If I go to the range, guns are not allowed to be loaded. Rather than having the extra round floating around, I only carry a full mag and then rack the slide.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:32 PM   #50
Got Lead?

In Ohio we have an emasculated version of CCW. We can't carry to any place which serves alcohol, nor can we take it to any place that has a No-Firearm notice which is quite a few places in South West Ohio.

That means I need to pull and stow my piece. When I leave my gun in the car I release the mag and put it my pocket. Assuming it won't disturb anything. It's nice to be able to put the round back in the mag. There is also the problem of having to eject the mag and load the extra round.

That being said, I still usually top off the mags and pocket the loose round. One busy day I found 3 rounds in my pocket from where I not capped the rounds after loading.