The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 6, 2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Texas Reb

Kentucky Long Rifle

I see lots of posts on Hawkins, but what are y'all thoughts on The Kentucky Long Rifle?

My favorite shotgun has a 36 inch barrel and its my go to gun. I like the long barrels, dunno why, I just do. I don't mind lugging it around and I find easier to swing and get on target. I'm going to be in the minority, but I don't mind. I kinda figured if I liked my shotgun, I'd like a long rifle. I don't know.
Old January 7, 2015, 06:00 PM   #2
McShooty

If you like a long shotgun, you would probably like a Kentucky long rifle. However, if your shotgun is a cartridge gun you will find shooting a long rifle is a whole different proposition. Do you need to study up on black powder shooting? Flintlock or percussion? Large caliber or small?
Old January 7, 2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Texas Reb

I've never shot a black powder gun. that's soon to change
Old January 8, 2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Pahoo

A work of art !!!

The Kentucky and Pennsylvania RockCrushers are some of the most beautiful rifles, I have ever seen and that includes their barrel lengths. Many are a work of art that needs to be displayed. Every serious collection, needs one. I have one shoes barrel is so long that it won't fit upright, in my safe. Can't say I'll take it hunting but do occasionally take it on shoots, just to show it off. ...

Lately the only M/L rifle I take hunting, is my .36 Seneca. Short barrel, light, sweet and gets the squirrels.. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 10, 2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Long barrels short barrels. Allot has to do with the kind of terrain your hunting or which barrel length is preferred. And again something to do with a rifles overall balance too. When I envision a Kentucky rifle I see a crescent butt stock application. Keep in mind a crescent stock isn't suppose to be sitting on its shooters shoulder when its barrel is fired. A traditional kentucky period rifle being perhaps a little barrel heavy. Its shooter (may) encounter a little difficultly in its quick shouldering. Especially so in 50 or 54 or larger calibers. Seldom are any traditional B/P model rifles as easy to shoulder as a modern day 12 or 10 ga. shotgun. But one comes close. Traditions 1/2-stocked Hawkens.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:55 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

When rifles first came to America, they were short (28-33" barrel) big bore jagers brought over by the Swiss & German immigrants.

This evolved into the longer 40-46" barrel but smaller caliber long rifle. The first longrifles started the trend toward smaller caliber, longer barrels and more slender guns with musket shaped (but smaller) buttplates. During the American Revolution, the rifles were even longer and more slender and somewhat smaller bore than their F&I ancestors. Sharp crescent shaped buttplates along with inlays (in lieu of relief carving) came around during the Federal period.

As the Fur Trade Era began (meaning post-Lewis & Clark mountain men), the guns became shorter, sturdier and bigger bore.

Conclusion: The Swiss/Germans got it right the first time!