The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Luciano

Calling on Super 1050 with auto drive owners

So I've had a Super 1050 for about a year and have only used it to process some .223 cases. I have the electric trimmer on it along with the carbide sizing die. When working the press manually everything seems great, uniform trimming and nice primer pocket swaging. When I hook up the ponsness warren auto drive the cases get trimmed less and unevenly. But the real problem is that the primer pockets dont get enough swaging no matter how well I adjust the punch.

I made sure that the press cycles fully on both upstroke and downstroke. At least it appears to do so. I tightened the clutch on the auto drive as much as I could using a regular hex key. I am suspecting slippage but I am not sure.

How have you all set up your 1050 to successfully process .223s?
Old January 31, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
jmorris

If the press is set right when using the handle and is incorrect once you hook up the auto drive it is the linkage. Go over the setup again, tiny adjustments make a big difference.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Luciano

I was hoping for a reply from the mechanical "guru". Thank you jm. I'll mess with the linkage some more. I am also suspecting that the clutch slips just a bit right at the end of the down stroke. I'll make some reference points with a marker.