The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1
geoffthesnake

Trap Shotgun

I went trap shooting last weekend with my mossberg pump action. It was the first time I'd shot that shotgun since I got it back in February. It was awesome, had a great time with the 2 other guys who I went with.

I thought about getting something different though, not to replace my mossberg, just something to take along and shoot and have fun with. My mossberg has a 28" barrel, which I like, but other shorter options I'd consider.

I was thinking about getting a Stoeger Condor, I like the look of the over under style shotguns, but I might just save for a used browning citori, I think I've seen a few of those around for 600-800$

Price range I have is between 400-700$max, what would you guys suggest? I do not shoot competitively, just for recreational fun every weekend or so, 2-4boxes of 25 rounds.
Old September 20, 2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Rugerismisticness

Avoid the Condor, it's poorly made/designed. I would definatly look for either a used citori or even a used 1100 trap. The older benelli m1s should be within range also, but the m1s kick almost as much as a citori would (the m2s are much lighter btw).
Old September 20, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Very few cheap O/Us are worth buying. One of the reasons doubles are expensive is it takes good engineering, machining and time to get both barrels shooting close to the same point.

Even Beretta regards 6" of variance as "Close Enough". Probably Browning does also.

Used Citoris and 686s can be found in your price range if you look around and have a bit of patience. I'd do that.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
oletymer

In your price range the BPS trap is a good gun. A used Citori trap model or BT99 would also be a good choice. The Stoeger is a poor choice.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
JWT

A good used Remington 1100 Trap gun would be worth looking at. They're readily available, hold up well, perform well. Recoil is very light too.

BT99 is an excellent choice too if you can find a nice clean one in your price range.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:59 AM   #6
WCW

I would recommend you go for a Citori. You should be able pick up a good used one in your price range. I have had one for years, and they are top drawer in my opinion.
Old September 20, 2011, 10:23 AM   #7
BigJimP

A good used Browning Citori or a Beretta are always good buys.

For Trap - in general, even if we're just casual shooters, we'd like to have the potential to shoot well ...so in Trap guns...it usually means a heavier and longer gun. In an O/U 32" barrels are common / in a single barrel 34" is common - and a gun between 9 and 10lbs.

In the Citori line - there are about 26 models...and the "Trap" guns are the XT Trap in an O/U and in 32" barrels its a good option / and there are a lot of them around used. The single barrel break open gun - is the BT-99 or the older BT-100...both good guns / but dedicted to "Trap" sinlges.

A good general purpose gun - like the Citori Lightning series - more of a field grade gun ...is a good choice / spend some time making sure the gun "fits" you so it hits where you look. A 12ga version with 28" barrels is a good option for a general purpose gun in the Citori line of guns - but make sure it has screw in chokes, so its versatile / there are still a lot of guns out there with fixed chokes - and I would not recommend them.
Old September 21, 2011, 09:38 AM   #8
geoffthesnake

Thanks for the responses everyone, looks like I'm on the right track.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:53 AM   #9
meatgrinder42

My older brother shot a Stoeger Condor for years, and I'm pretty sure he still has it, and he has broken tons of clay with it and won multiple competition shoots with it. It was actually the gun he won his current gun with. I used to shoot it for a doubles league and found no reason to say it was poorly designed or made. The only thing I didn't like was the safety but I never liked thumb safeties.

I shoot my Wingmaster at the trap range, sporting clays, skeet, wobble, hunt&cover, etc. It's just a normal Wingmaster, 30'' barrel, full choke and bead sights. I like the longer barrel and full choke because I'm a late shooter, often hitting the pigeon after the peak of the arc.

If your comfortable with the Mossy use it. Otherwise save a couple bucks and get a shorter barrel for it. The pump action shouldn't be pushed aside on the trap range. Semis are great, o/u's are great, use what you're comfortable with. Find someone with a semi-auto and a o/u and try them out first.