The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1
cybor462

00 Buckshot reloading

I hope this is in the right spot. I did not see anything just for shotgun reloading.

Just got a Mossberg 500 (tactical) aftermarket stuff for HD. I want to go with 00 buckshot and have bought 5 lbs.
My only shotshell loading has been bird shot and not much of it. I have a cheap Lee Load all shotshell press. Works great for target loads.

I want to load 00 buck and need some help.

I tried researching online and found some stuff but not much.

I did see where most said work a load up by weight of shot so it does not matter if it is birdshot or buck just go by weight. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense.

Secondly I have tons of once fired target shells/birdshot shells. I read you can load low brass buckshot loads using these shell casings. Is this correct?

I have tons of WAA12 wads and I wanted to know if I can use them.

I have loads of Red Dot powder and hoped to get some info on loads. I can't find anything for buckshot or is what that load by shot weight comes in?

If anyone has any websites I could checkout please post them here.

Thanks
Old July 25, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Buckshot is loaded by count; 9 pellets of 00 is the old standard load, 12 in short magnum, 15 in 3" magnum.

"Recipes" are pretty scarce for buckshot but going right by the published data is important for shotshells. Red Dot is probably faster burning than anybody will recommend for buck. Your wads might or might not be appropriate. There is a book on the subject:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...number=00MBUCK
Old July 25, 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
cybor462

Thanks for the info. I will check out that book.

I noticed the 9 shot rule and was not sure about it.

I will do more research. Figures the Red Dot will not work. I have so much of it. I guess I will have to load more taget loads.

Thanks
Old July 25, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
oneounceload

dupe post

Last edited by oneounceload; July 25, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 25, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
oneounceload

Go to the web site for Red Dot and look up the recipe involving your wad, hull and powder. That wad may or may not work. Follow a published recipe

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...number=00MBUCK

The Lyman manual should have load data as well
Old July 25, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
hk33ka1

I have been loading home cast 0 buck, 9 pellet loads in 12ga. Using Hodgdon HS6 powder in 1xfired trap hulls with WAA12 wads. The Lyman data was a 31-32gr charge of HS6, and I cut a small carboard over shot card to take up space under the crimp. Lee Load All II Press.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
cybor462

Quote:
I have been loading home cast 0 buck, 9 pellet loads in 12ga. Using Hodgdon HS6 powder in 1xfired trap hulls with WAA12 wads. The Lyman data was a 31-32gr charge of HS6, and I cut a small carboard over shot card to take up space under the crimp. Lee Load All II Press.
You have been loading single (0) buck what about double (00)

I have 00 and want to try that.

I went to Red Dot with no luck for loads. I found numerous posts on the web saying you work a load by the weight of the shot be it bird shot or 00 buckshot. They all say follow the loads according to weight.

That must be right since many reloading forums are showing that.

I am thinking I see how many pellets to use by weight and then load it with that data. If I have to fill I guess I can if needed.

I have HS6 that I use for handgun loads. I guess I can try that.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Repeat, buckshot is loaded by number, not weight.
From the Hodgdon site, only place I could find with buckshot "recipes"

Lead Buckshot in 12 gauge Remington hulls
9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT
CCI 209M WAA12F114 32 grains HS6 9,500 PSI 1350 fps.

I am sorry you think I make this stuff up. I will not bother you again.

I'm done.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:28 PM   #9
hk33ka1

If I had 9 00 pellets. I would try Jim Watsons data of 32gr HS6 basically the same load as mine with a tad more lead. He is correct in that Buckshot data is given for number of pellets, not total pellet weight like birdshot loads.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:41 PM   #10
cybor462

Yes I was able to get my hands on a shotshell book and in the back it lists a fair number of buckshot loads.

I want to be clear though that I never said he was making it up.

I am sorry Jim if that is how you took my discussions with others about the subject. I asked because I do not know. Unless I know someone to be an expert on the given subject I will take the information given and research to see how it applies to my situation. It gives me something to go on.

I now know you are knowledgable on the subject and it seems that the answers I read to the same question I had on a couple shotshell reloading forums were incorrect. That is why I research and verify.

No offense to you. Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:19 AM   #11
cybor462

Not to be a kiljoy but after doing the math 9 (00) pellets are 2 grains shy of 1 1/8 ozs which is what the book shows that same charge in bird shot so the statement made by the others is also correct.
I would not think 2 grains would be any issue as I am sure most bird shot shells are not exact either.

So it is also true you can load by weight of shot.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12
PA-Joe

They are both correct. OO stacks three pellets to the row. Three high = 9 pellets = 1 1/8 oz.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:31 AM   #13
snuffy

Cybor, the point you don't get is the buckshot HAS to be STACKED. It matters NOT what the final weight of the payload is. The outside diameter of the individual BALLS/PELLETS is what determines the count or load you can get into a given payload space. Buckshot loads are different from normal shot loads for that reason. Also, the payload tends to act like a solid, like a slug, so the pressures are higher.

Remember that the max pressure for 2-¾ shotguns is 11,500LUP. Go much above that, you;ll be bulging chambers/barrels and destroying shells. Send for the buckshot loading manual from BPI. Also get the Lyman shotshell handbook. They have lots of loads in them.

If you're loading these for inexpensive tactical or 3-gun shooting, you're probably not too concerned with patterning. If you were to hunt with them, then you could use buffers and go with nickle plated buck to get tight long range patterns.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 29, 2010, 04:15 PM   #14
doug66

My Buckshot load: Win209
30.5gr HS-6
Waa12F114 wad
AA hulls
Shot cast from Sharpshooter USA mold. Have to stack shot 3 rows of 3. Regular crimp. Great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 29, 2010, 05:54 PM   #15
cybor462

snuffy...I do know that they have to be stacked. I am not an expert on shotshell by far but it seems that weight has a lot to do with it. Every load be it metallic or plastic uses the weight to determine the charge. If I am wrong please tell me. The charge has to PUSH the LOAD out the barrel. The payload is weight. Yes I understand the length of the shell has to be maintaned so the payload has to take up so much room. But could the extra space be made up with fillers say if one used 8 balls and loaded it to that weight.

Ok I am not saying one would benefit from 8 balls I am just trying to make a comparison.

I may be wayyyyyy off base here but what I learned about cartridge reloading shows loads are based on several factors but weight is a major one.

If I am stupid smack me and I will shut up. Actually I am just trying to understand how this works. I am not being stubborn but trying to figure how this shotshell stuff works.

Yes I am ordering a few books and I will read up on it. With luck I will grasp it and come back and say I learned something.

I know you cant teach old dogs new tricks without hitting them in the head with lead pipes. Go ahead "hit me"