The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Benelli Nova / Super nova question

I have never fired a Benelli Nova / Super Nova

Are they really better quality than the Mossberg / Remington?

Will they last longer?

Do the shoot better?

Are they more smooth to the pump?

I an seriously considering buying a Super nova tactical or a Mossberg 590 and need assistance in my choice.

George Orwell
Old December 28, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Given the options you posed, I would opt for a 5+1 Mossberg 500/590 with 20-24 inch barrel.
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Super-Dave

my choice is the mossberg 590 A1 or benelli super nova tactical

Strictly for home defense and shooting slugs (possible deer or hog hunting).

All the shotguns I have now only have a bead site and I am severely limited at distance for slug shooting.

George Orwell
Old December 28, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Got a mossberg? If so, get the smooth bore slugger barrel, it has rifle sights...
I think they have one for remington as well...
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Super-Dave

I do not like rifle sites as much as ghost ring sites. You have a much longer site radius with ghost ring sites and I feel it is quicker to get on target.

George Orwell
Old December 28, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

GOTCHA!!!! What you "need" is the ATI ninja cool barrel shroud with built in plastic (unbreakable) GR sights...
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 08:27 PM   #7
ilmonster

All three brands are great. I own both an 870 and a SuperNova. Buy whichever fits you better.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:13 PM   #8
batmann

I'll throw another one at you---A Browning BPS with the extened mag and 20" barrel. I just bought one from Gander Mountain on sale and paid slightly less than I would have for a Mossberg and I feel like it is a better buy than either the Remington of Mossberg. The only problem with a BPS vs a Mossberg or Remington is lack of 'extras'.
Old December 29, 2009, 11:54 AM   #9
Super-Dave

So far no one has answered if the Nova/Super Nova has a much smoother pump action than remington or Mossberg.

Also will they last just as long or longer than a remington or mossberg?

George Orwell
Old December 29, 2009, 01:08 PM   #10
ilmonster

My Remington 870 is smoother than my SuperNova, although it does have more rounds through it than the Benelli. I really don't think of it when using the SuperNova though - still like it (impervious to weather, adjustable stock height and cast, etc.). Both are accurate, go bang every time I pull the trigger and I'm guessing I'll never wear either one out. If I had an extra few hundred burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't hesitate to add a Mossy (say a 590 with a 20" barrel for HD) to my flock. Preferences aside, not a bad one in the bunch.

Being for home defense, more important than which you buy (assuming it "fits" you) is to burn up some ammo in practicing with it. The skills in "using" a HD SG are more important than which one you buy. I'm guessing that a criminal would rather go up against my 82 yr. old neighbor w/limited SG experience and the latest tacticool SG, than, say Louis Awerbuck with the most beat up functioning SG in existance (I know I would). It's the software, not the hardware that counts.

Last edited by ilmonster; December 29, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old December 29, 2009, 01:16 PM   #11
tristar viper

I've never shot a Benelli, but the pump action feels loose and sloppy just holding the gun and going through the motions.
I have shot the Mossberg and an 870. Out of all of them I'd say the 870 would be my choice and even though I never shot the Benelli I wouldn't buy it because of how it feels.
I guess I can't answer your question either totally, but I can offer you that much.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:12 PM   #12
tbird412s

I would agree my Nova isn't as smooth as other brands concerning it's action, however it has performed flawlessly for me. Everything else about that gun felt better to me. I still choose to shoot it even over my other pumps and some of my semi's.
Old December 29, 2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Gex

help me to find out my benelli price

Hi Guys,i own Benelli triple shotgun i got it from my grandpa.its really rare gun cant find nowhere to see its price or what type of gun it is.its got two 9kalibr and one 16 kalibr,its an old gun maybe antique cant even find bullets for 16kalibr
can someone help me to find out what its cost?cause i dont really like shotguns and hunting too.if someone can help i can even send pics on mail.thnx
Old December 30, 2009, 02:49 AM   #14
Anticonn

I don't have a lot of shotgun experience, and none with Mossbergs, but I have a Nova and like it. It's worth noting that with the Nova you get factory ghostrings and a 3.5" chamber. They get a bad rep for the slop in the fore end, but honestly I don't mind it in my Nova, it's just the plastic handguard moving around on the guide. It could be done without, of course, but it doesn't adversely affect the operation or performance.

Also, if you're wanting to go all tacticool with bolt-on whatnots and 4 pounds of lights and foldy things and whatever, the Nova is not a good gun to start with; what you see is basically what you get.

edit: also I am very partial to the safety and action release location on Benellis over Mossberg or Remmington, it's easy and intuitive.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:30 AM   #15
jmr40

I'm a 870 guy, but really like the Nova. In my opinion it is better than the Mossberg and from a mechaincal perspective it may be the best of the pump guns. I just have a hard time shooting them well. I guess it is because I am used to how the Remington balances. If I were a new shooter and not used to any particular gun I would look hard at the Benelli.

Their biggest drawback is the lack of extra barrels at a reasonable cost. If you decide to buy a different barrel, it is easier to just buy another gun.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Gex, sounds like you have a Drilling. I didn't know Benelli made any, but things less likely happen.

You may want to start a thread about your gun down on the Firearms Research BB here.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:15 PM   #17
isnipe

i have a super nova great shotgun for the price.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Gex

thnx for your reply Dave,i just registered on this site yesterday i couldnt find what you suggested..sounds like you know a lot about guns,maybe you could help, i can send you the photo if its possible.iam really desperate cause i've taken it to some places and they couldnt tell me exactly what type of gun it is
they all like but still no profile for it
Old December 30, 2009, 07:23 PM   #19
inSight-NEO

I own both the Benelli SuperNova tactical and a Mossberg 590 (which I "converted" into an A1) and too be honest, while I do believe the "better" gun is the Benelli, I tend to stick with the Mossberg as my primary SG (for home defense anyway) given it greater capacity and relatively abundant supply of available parts.

But, having said this, the Benelli SNT is a modern looking, fine shooter and sports many high quality features for the price, such as a chrome lined bore and very nice GR sights (if thats your thing). The chrome lined bore is of particular note as, heck, how often do you see this on a sub-$500 pump? Its also very smooth and the internals are top-notch as well. In addition, Benelli implements a set of screws (one on each side of the forend/pump) that allow you to adjust the action. Ahh...attention to details!

The only real gripe(s) I have is the weak capacity (for the tactical models anyway) and the ridiculous prices associated with the barrels for these guns. Plus, I have no idea why these guns are not offered with a front bead sight only.

So, to sum up...while the Benelli SuperNova is, IMHO, a higher quality shotgun than almost anything out there (for the price) and sports features/attention to details not often found within this category (again...for the initial cost), it is not the most practical. Thus, this is where the 590 steps in.

Of course, all of this is simply my opinion. Best thing for you to do is go out and handle a few of these weapons. I doubt you will need to actually fire one of them to know which one "fits" and "feels" best to you. Give them a try. Either way, you will end up with a fine shotgun.

As a side note, if you are looking at the 590, might I suggest paying just a bit more for the 590-A1 as it offers many features such as a heavy walled barrel, metal trigger assembly and metal safety. These guns are really not much more than the "standard" 590. I learned this the hard and expensive way!
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; December 30, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old December 31, 2009, 03:09 AM   #20
Anticonn

Another thought about my Nova, it's significantly muzzle-heavy; the cost of a hollow polymer receiver and stock I suppose. I've been meaning to order Benelli's 14oz mercury recoil tube to balance it out ($45 iirc), but haven't gotten around to it. Ye Olde Tyme shotgunners have a lot to say about the balance of the gun, just thought I'd mention that any weight/balance issues from the liberal use of plastic in the Nova can be improved.

For your money, you get a lot of shotgun with a Nove/Super Nova.