The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
studman5578

Remington 6 1/2 Primers for 223

I found myself reading a warning label on the box of the primers saying not to use for 223 Remington (among other cartridges) and I was wondering, should I use magnum primers? The manuals I've read say to use small rifle primers, not SRM. It sucks 'cuz i've already made about 100 of them, hand weighed each load, so I'd be awful sad if i had to unload them.

The rounds i've made are with 26 (or 25, cant remember right now) grains of Varget and topped with a 62 grain FMJ.

Is it OK for me to fire these rounds? do any of you guys load using rem 6 1/2 primers?

Thanks
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old December 10, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2
A_Gamehog

Speer recomends to use a magnum Primer

Read the Speer manuals, they (Speer) suggest magnum Primers with Hodgdon Powders (Varget) you are fine.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Shoney

General rule of thumb with 223 Rem is to use standard primers for powders which are not ball (spherical) powders. Magnum primers are for use with ball (spherical) powders.

The 6 1/2 is thin and intended for the .22 Hornet and other lower pressure rounds.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111

Last edited by Shoney; December 10, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
rbernie

I have used the 6 1/2 primers in my 223 loads, but only in light loads (20gr TAC under a 55gr FMJ). Your Varget loads are pretty stiff, and you'll likely wind up with pierced primers and/or gas leakage around the primer pocket that will erode the bolt face.

I would pull 'em down, but that's your call.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
kwells6

read the side of the box... 6 1/2 are No-go's for .223
Old December 10, 2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Memnok

I was told reason they do not want you using 6.5's in .223 is because the primer cup is softer, and prone to slam fire in semi-auto rifles (such as the Ar-15). Is there any truth to that?
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2009, 12:37 AM   #7
studman5578

Yeah i've heard about slam firing too, and I think that may be a reason why. The warning on the box is how I found about this, and why I'm asking all of you guys. The slam firing though brings up a good point and I think I will unload them and reload them over the next month or so because I'll have free time.

As a side not though, do any of you load with the Lee scoopers? I've been deciding weather or not to get a scooper set and use that or to get a power measure. Any thoughts or input? Thanks.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old December 11, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
McClintock

I've used Winchester SR rifle primers in .223, and they were okay, but in using the Remington primers you should use the Small Rifle Bench Rest primers, I believe, for the reasons that everyone else has stated above. I think you're just asking for trouble if you use the 6-1/2's for .223.

I currently do load with a Lee Powder Scoop, but I hand-weigh each charge (yes, it is a royal pain the posterior), which is time consuming. If you're going to load in any sort of volume, I'd go with a powder measure of some sort. It's faster, and you can also make minor adjustments to your charges if you need to, and that's more difficult to do with the scoops. My $0.02.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
McClintock
Old December 11, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
A_Gamehog

Let me clarify my last statement

From Remington's own website

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/an...etail/a_id/167

I use mag primers with varget....CCI 450's and Wolf SRM

Tags
223 remingtion , 61/2 , primers , reloading