The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 17, 2008, 09:13 AM   #26
ZeSpectre

Quote:
just what is it that makes them so dangerous over other makes/types?
Probably percentages. There are SO many Glock pistols out there that the chances of someone having a brainskip with one is proportionally higher.
Old December 17, 2008, 05:51 PM   #27
vox rationis

Quote:
just what is it that makes them so dangerous over other makes/types?
Actually there was just a thread about this..essentially a gun with a relatively light trigger, no manual safety, and no hammer does not lend itself to sticking in one's waist band for Mexican Carry, for the obvious reasons.

One definitely needs a proper holster for a Glock in order to carry it safely with a round in the pipe. Just refer to that Platico Platixco incident, or whatever his name is. He was carrying Mexican Carry, the gun slipped down his pants, he grabbed it through his clothing and in the process activated the trigger, and Bammo! Glock Leg! Also refer to that recent gang banger that recently shot himself in the gut while carrying his chambered Glock in his pocket.

Last edited by vox rationis; December 17, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:06 PM   #28
MaxHeadSpace

Gang-bangers and "stupid" . . . Don't get me started.

A colleague was telling me his LEO son noticed locally that gang shootouts typically result in superficial wounds and a lot of collateral damage. His suspicion is that they've never been formally trained in any sort of handgun marksmanship.

And so to "remedy" that he had proposed to the department and city council that they begin teaching basic handgun marksmanship so when these gang-bangers shoot each other it results in fatalities.

Reasons for a holster:

One is to stabilize the gun, so you can find it when you need to get to it.

A second would be to keep the pocket debris out of the mechanisms.

And finally, to keep the trigger from becoming entangled in whatever nonsense you might be wearing -- and to keep from shooting your dumb self in the cojones.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:26 PM   #29
M1911

Quote:
Gang-bangers and "stupid" . . . Don't get me started.
As opposed to some in law enforcement? "The only one in this room p'ohfessional enuf..."

No, I'm not trying to defend gang-banger scum, nor am I trying to attack Glock. There's just plenty of stupid to go around.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:51 PM   #30
troy_mclure

its mainly the fact that there is NO safety other than the trigger, something snags the trigger and it goes boom.
the s&w sigma is the same, but it is not a popular gun so it gets little mention.

the XD has a back strap safety, along with the trigger safety, but i still never would carry without a holster.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 17, 2008, 08:48 PM   #31
AnalogKid

I think I know why criminals carry without a holster:

Let's say they get in a confrontation with the police and they need to run to evade capture. They run through some yards and pitch the gun over a fence before they are caught. An officer finds the gun and the perp says, "Hey homie, that ain't my gun."

To which the cop says, "Then why are you wearing a holster that fits it perfectly? You're under arrest."

The criminals probably figure that if you have a holster, it's more difficult to hide or ditch the gun. Frankly, I'm always happy to hear about some thug shooting his bollocks off.
Old December 17, 2008, 11:02 PM   #32
MaxHeadSpace

Quote:
I think I know why criminals carry without a holster:
How about because a decent one runs $50 to $100 or more. A really cheap nylon/kydex runs maybe $25 -- which will get you high these days.

A decent holster needs a decent belt, more $$$ . . .

That and the hoodlum crowd views a gun as an "accessory" like a pocket knife, or wallet. They don't seem to understand that it works as part of a system, with a holster and belt.

-- Often they barely understand how it works, or how to aim it.
Old December 18, 2008, 01:44 AM   #33
Regular Joe

It's a great comfort to me to see that most gang bangers don't know how a gun works, or how to make the bullets work. That's exactly why I have great confidence in my Ruger 10/.22's as excellent urban warfare tools. Homie doesn't hear the little "pop-pop", or see a muzzle flash. He just sees his fellow miscreant with something that looks like a vampire bite, and brutha' be real sick!
When it's hot at night, and I just want to go to the car or mailbox or laundry, I'll carry my P-95 in a pants pocket. It fits just fine, and can't get turned the wrong way. Otherwise, it's always in a holster.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:09 PM   #34
Chinny33

mexican carry? no thank you

did somebody order mexican?
Proverbs 27:12
Old December 23, 2008, 09:55 AM   #35
Jmacinnis1

I always laugh when you see the gangsters drop their pride and joy down their pants and they have to "walk it down the pant leg" to retrieve it, but still look cool while doing it...

Crack's me up every time...
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again…
Old December 23, 2008, 10:02 AM   #36
Jmacinnis1

Wait, maybe instead of training them how to use them, we'll just put arrows on the barrel that show which way the bullet travels...

We could even make a little saying on the handle with an arrow that says "You hit dis, it go bang!"

I just can't help myself here! Maybe I could patent this idea!
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again…
Old December 23, 2008, 10:15 AM   #37
moga

Quote:
do you know why these guys dont buy a holster?
Because they know nothing of proper firearms handling or technique. Plus it's not like you can get quality leather from the places from which their guns come.
Old December 23, 2008, 07:26 PM   #38
quinn2187

i can't believe no one hit on this yet. yes sometimes the fine young citizens might have an accident. more often then not thought one of their counterparts shoots them, and they just claim accidental because they want to take care of it "on the streets" or they got shot trying to rob a dope dealer. and they never admit to attempted robbery.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:35 AM   #39
JasonG

To add to whiskey 33,
In Ga and Fla the law states that a firearm shall be carried in som sort of holster and said holster must completely cover the trigger and trigger guard. (Abridged)
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old December 24, 2008, 02:15 PM   #40
wayneinFL

No, it doesn't. In Florida, if it's in a vehicle and you don't have a permit it has to be securely encased, which could include a holster or a glove box or console. If it's on your person you don't need a holster.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:44 AM   #41
scorpion_tyr

When carrying concealed, sometimes I wear a holster, sometimes I don't. If I'm just stepping outside for a smoke the .45 goes IWB sans holster, with safety on. That's with jeans and a snug belt. Doing so with baggy or loose pants is just not smart. Having a gun in your pocket? Great idea. Sticking hands in pocket if not going for the gun. Very bad idea.
Old December 27, 2008, 02:20 AM   #42
Bill DeShivs

I have had a gun in my pocket, with no holster, for 33 years. You mean I'm supposed to have shot myself? I must be doing something wrong! I have carried a Keltec P32 for the last 11 years. No problems with orientation or dirt.
As long as you never put anything in that pocket with the gun, it's perfectly safe. The gun is DA only.
I would not waistband carry a Glock, though. Come to think of it, I wouldn't buy a Glock.
Old December 27, 2008, 02:37 AM   #43
Swampghost

I've carried a S&W 469 cocked & locked hanging by my beltstrap for 20+ yrs. just have to spray it down when you get home.
Old December 27, 2008, 02:40 AM   #44
T. O'Heir

"...why these guys dont buy a holster?..." They're idiots.
Old December 27, 2008, 04:14 AM   #45
aeonrevolution

Just curious....

Do you live in a bad area to need to have a pistol on you to go for a smoke scorpion_tyr?