The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 9, 2022, 04:04 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Thank you for the update. Looking forward to your thoughts on the process.
Jeepaholic
Old September 9, 2022, 06:39 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
Rothdel About 40 but close enough.
Understand that NICS checks are only valid for 30 days.

The dealer will be required to run the NICS check again.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 19, 2022, 06:44 PM   #28
cjwils

Hello 4V50 Gary: You should not insult bureaucrats. Really! You are a police officer; therefore, you are a government employee; therefore, you have lots of paper work to do and lots of rules to follow. Just like any other bureaucrat. You would probably be surprised how many members of this forum would meet your definition of a bureaucrat or retired bureaucrat.
Old September 20, 2022, 07:14 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
That is good advice. But only after this is cleared up. If he was denied purchasing, he would have most likely been denied a carry permit.

GA recently went to constitutional carry and a permit is no longer needed. But I plan to get mine renewed before it expires in October. There is some cost involved, but it does allow you to bypass the background check when buying. And will allow you to carry in other states that recognize GA's permit. Which is quite a few.

Contacting the local congressional representative might help. There are only 2 senators in each state, both Democrats here, and even if they were pro-gun would be less likely to help than the representative from your district.
He would not be denied a Ga permit.Ga bases it's background checks soly on fingerprints. Similar names and DOB have no bearing on a Ga license to carry background check. I know because I used to do them at the S.O. for the probate judge. Unless a criminal has your fingers, you won't be denied a Ga license to carry.
Old September 20, 2022, 07:19 PM   #30
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
Never underestimate the stupidity of bureaucracy. Tee-eeS-A tried to fine me for flying with an undeclared firearm. I told the ground personnel it was a flintlock. On top of that, I told others it was non-working (no touchhole drilled). Anyway, Tee-eeS-A called me and I explained that I was a police officer, that I knew the rules and have flown with firearms locked in secured cases but that per ATF flintlocks and replica thereofs are not firearms per se. I directed the investigator to the relevant ATF rule. Still the investigator decided to slap me with a minor fine ($100) which I fought. The Atty Gen. had it dismissed in the interest of justice (what other choice was there when you don't have a case).

Lesson: never underestimate the stupidity of bureaucrats.

In this case Rothedel, this is shifting the burden of proof of innocence onto the accused. Looks like we've adopted Code Napoleon. Even when you proved you're innocence, they are like an immovable stone reluctant to admit mistakes.
100% agree.
Old September 23, 2022, 07:52 PM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

cwjils - I'm retired phart who tries to see both sides (def and leo) of the story. You're right about paperwork though and even a simple but well composed police report can take hours to write. King Riots it took me almost three hours to do one report on two guys. My patrol partner did all the inventorying for the report and the evidence tags (case #, object, description) and checking everything into evidence (ditto with case #, object, description) so I didn't have to. If I was alone it would have taken me many more hours There were stereos and other electronic goods, cigarettes (different brands that had to be listed individually and by amount of cartons and packs), cash (all change which had to be cataloged by denomination and quantity and then total dollar amount) and two victims to list.

I told the TSA investigator the law and where to look; but it was their chance to be piss on me and they did. I suspect that she acted on the advice (or it could be order) of her supervisor. Dayam if I was going to plea guilty to a federal crime though. AG dismissed in the interest of justice but I should never have been charged to begin with.