The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2019, 11:24 PM   #1
Jericho1911

Stoeger str 9mm

Before I buy this can anyone tell me more about it? Trigger, sights, ergonomics and. weight? Accuracy. Ken at LGS here states Stoeger blows XD9 Service out the water in every category.
Old March 30, 2019, 12:13 PM   #2
hubris

I have a Compact 9. It is capable of real accuracy (not by me most of the time), very soft shooting, and very easy to strip and clean. Two cons...hates all Federal ammo, and hard to find extra mags.
Old March 30, 2019, 12:16 PM   #3
sigarms228

I don't know but maybe Ken has a lot of them to move? I don't think the Stoeger has been around long enough to build a reputation one way or the other. For not much more options like S&W M&P 2.0 might be worth a hard look.

Last edited by sigarms228; March 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old March 30, 2019, 12:26 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Stoeger is an importer, not a manufacturer. It's probably made in Brazil like most of their stuff. That doesn't mean it's bad though. Mind you, there is no mention of availability of parts or mags on their site. You can buy the pistol with 3 mags and 'backstraps' though.
https://www.stoegerindustries.com/st...mi-auto-pistol
Old March 30, 2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Turkey, actually.

It is new on the market, finding objective reviews this soon will be difficult, all I find is gunzine and gunblog news release type puffery.

What can Ken do to back up his claims?
Old August 5, 2022, 06:48 PM   #6
MarkCO

I was moderately intrigued when the Glock Clones started to come out. There are a bunch of them. And no, I do not consider M&Ps and XDs Glock clones as they have a different trigger system which leaves the striker cocked with enough energy to ignite a primer.

Dagger, Canik, this Stoeger STR9 and a few others really came on fast over the last few years. I had a hankering to revisit some brands I had previously rejected. So I either rented or borrowed pistols from Canik, Taurus, PSA, Stoeger, even some others like the Sig P365XL, and S&W EZ. I really wanted to shoot a KelTec P15 as well, but I can't find one to even buy...I will eventually. Anyway, after a few weeks and 1500 rounds, I had fired at least a magazine and in some, up to 100 rounds to get a feel for the "budget" pistols. Now mind you, I have a KelTec PF9 that is a budget Micro9 and some Kahr CW series that I have previously had as my budget pistols. But there were enough new pistols out there, and I have not been to SHOT the last 3 years and I needed to update my opinions.

So, as one might infer from resurrection of a 3.5 year old thread, I settled on the Stoeger STR9 and picked up two of them today. Consistent with the interwebs reviews, some nice features of the M&P, K&K, Glock in a decent package with metal magazines and a price of about $300 depending on features and accessories. I think the trigger is better than a Glock 17/19, to which these compare favorably. Fits the M&P holsters the best and there is steel (RSA and Sights) where Glock still only provided plastic for about twice the retail price. I prefer the ergos, shootability of the STR9 over the Dagger and Canik, Taurus and the rest of the Budget 15/17 round 9mms. I bought two, and one will join an M&P, a Glock, a CZ, a Kahr and a Ruger on the table for students to try at classes.

So, I think "Ken" was on to something as an early adopter. Interested to know if @Jericho1911 picked one up or not.
Old August 8, 2022, 09:55 AM   #7
Bob Willman

There was a positive write-up in the last issue of Gun & Ammo magazine.

NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle
Old August 8, 2022, 11:23 AM   #8
triplebike

My LGS has them on sale for $194.00, full size or compact. I did check them out and was very impressed. If I was in the market for full sized or compact 9MM I would have purchased one in a second at that price.
Old August 8, 2022, 12:47 PM   #9
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
My LGS has them on sale for $194.00, full size or compact.
Was that the version with 1 backstrap and 1 mag? Still a great deal, but I opted to get the one with the extra mags and backstraps. Probably do one larger and one small since I am using them for classes.
Old August 14, 2022, 06:06 AM   #10
HistoryJunky

If you believe gun reviews on YouTube, I have seen at least 2 different prominent YouTube gun guys have problems with this gun.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old August 14, 2022, 10:29 PM   #11
Mosin44az

Backing HistoryJunky, I recall Honest Outlaw having problems with the Stoeger he tested. On YouTube.

Actually I take that back. He liked it.

But the XD9 has been around for years with a fine reputation, and Springfield offers a lifetime warranty and excellent service. Much safer choice in my view.

Last edited by Mosin44az; August 14, 2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old August 16, 2022, 09:58 AM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Stoeger is an importer, not a manufacturer. It's probably made in Brazil like most of their stuff. That doesn't mean it's bad though. Mind you, there is no mention of availability of parts or mags on their site. You can buy the pistol with 3 mags and 'backstraps' though.
I thought Stoger was Turkey.
Old August 16, 2022, 01:04 PM   #13
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I thought Stoger was Turkey.
Yes, they are made in Turkey.
Old August 16, 2022, 01:05 PM   #14
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
If you look close in the picture on Stoegers website it says manufactured in Turkey on the side of the frame.