The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2001, 03:16 AM   #1
CD1

Universal Charge Bar

I have a MEC 650 JR, and I am considering buying a universal charge bar for it. It appears to be a good deal, but wanted to get some info from anyone who has used one. Does anyone have info on this piece of gear? Thanks in advance.
Old June 22, 2001, 08:37 AM   #2
Rottweiler

I have one on a MEC 9000 G. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't yet have a collection of powder and shot bushings. I bought mine after I alread amassed quite a collection of now unused bushings. It works like the powder measure on my Dillon 550B. When you get one don't take the enclosed guide of settings as gospel, mine was close but not exact.
Old June 22, 2001, 09:12 AM   #3
SDC

I've also got one, and it's well worth the price. The savings in time alone, (not to mention the aggravation of having to swap out those !&%*&^*& bushings) make up for the cost many times over, and you get a load closer to what you want, instead of having to "settle" for the shot/powder drop that a bushing will give.
Stacey C.
Old June 22, 2001, 02:01 PM   #4
CD1

Thanks guys, thats what I needed to hear to push me over the edge.

CD
Old June 25, 2001, 12:39 AM   #5
Adventurer_96

I've been using mine on my MEC Grabber for the past few months and I have no complaints, for all of the reasons listed above. Just make sure you install it correctly and ensure that the bar travels with every pull of the lever!
Old June 25, 2001, 03:17 PM   #6
David Wile

Hey CD,

I have three MECs, and two of them have the universal charge bar. I never change the load on my 20 ga. MEC, so I am able to use the original charge bar with whatever bushings were right for the powder and shot. On my other two MECs, I used to change the settings for different loads, and the universal bar seemed to be quite useful. In the past few years, however, I have not changed the loadings on the two MECs with the universal, and I suppose I really could make do with bushings.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 25, 2001, 10:31 PM   #7
CD1

What manufacturer do y'all use? It seems like Im only seeing one company that makes them. Is that right?
Old June 27, 2001, 06:34 AM   #8
Rottweiler

Far as I know there is only one maker of universal charge bars. and I can't remember their name. I know they also make a "powder baffle" that goes between the powder bottle and the charge bar to make the thrown charges more consistent. I have one of those and it does work.
Old June 28, 2001, 12:38 AM   #9
Adventurer_96

Here's the info from the pamphlet:

MULTI-SCALE CHARGE LTD.
3269 Niagara Falls Blvd.
N. Tonawanda, NY 14120

905-566-1255

[email protected]

http://www.pathcom.com/~chrony

Hope it helps, if you can't find it that way I got mine through Cabelo's.

Check Six