The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2015, 09:33 AM   #1
jfilion2

Petrolium Distillates (Reloading Newbie)

Hello All,

I am new to reloading, so be gentle.

I recently bought a .338 Win Mag Browning BAR semi automatic rifle. I am deploying to the Canadian Arctic for a sample collection scientific expedition in Polar Bear country. Of course, I hope not to have to kill a polar bear, but if it's him or us, it'll be him.

Well, it turns out that shooting this gun is so much fun that I've gotten into reloading (to add additional fun on non-range days).

I just finished building my first batch (60 reloads) of .338 Win Mag ammo. Since I was bored (and inexperienced) I decided to shine up my casings. I tried tumbling (before they were loaded and primed of course), didn't like the results. I tried the ultra sonic cleaner, didn't like the results. So then I used a microfibre cloth and Turtle Wax. Shines like a beauty !

... but I found in the ingredients that it contains petroleum distillates. That's probably why my rag turned black while I was rubbing the brass.

Should I toss my 60 rounds of reloaded ammo due to having changed the chemical composition of the brass?

casings-1.jpg

casings-2.jpg

casings-3.jpg
Old June 28, 2015, 09:54 AM   #2
603Country

I wouldn't worry about the brass and petroleum distillates. I might worry about using the BAR in extreme temperatures. My BAR, now my brother's, worked great but I never had it in super cold temps.

Also very important is that you check the reloads for chambering. I had to use a small base die for my 270 rounds. Of course, if you are shooting it, then your reloads must be Ok.
Old June 28, 2015, 09:59 AM   #3
F. Guffey

When I want to show off I use a spinner, there are times the spinner is faster than tumbling when loading a few rounds.

Then there is the need for bling, I do not have that problem but when cleaning cases that have patina I use vinegar for 15 minutes maximum. After vinegar I tumble, vinegar cuts down on the amount of tumbling time by days. I do not make it a habit of using vinegar but for the very worst of cases it works.

I do not use sonic etc., I tumble with media, I have a Ultra Vibe 45, it comes in handy when I can not see the end to finishing. Back to 'bling', I always go to the range with a box of spun cases JIC.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2015, 10:26 AM   #4
F. Guffey

Back in the old days, I have 4 sets of BAR dies from RCBS. BAR dies are said to be small base dies, I also have dies that are not labeled BAR or small base dies. I do not assume there is a difference, in the definition/glossary of terms small base dies are described as being good fitting sizing dies. Then there is measuring the difference.

Bar: The M1 Garand, in the beginning, had a different chamber than the 03 and M1917, all three chambers fired the same ammo, the chamber of the M1 was larger than the 30/06 chamber by .00026, then there are those that claim they as in the old guys could not hold those type of tolerances.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2015, 10:30 AM   #5
condor bravo

Re: Guffey
The use of vinegar seems to be the magic cleaner for about everything. Out of some 20 different rifle calibers the only ones that will not polish by tumbling with ground walnut are Winchester .458 Win mags. Tumble for two hours (twice as long as needed with other cases) and they come out looking as dull as when they went in. So perhaps some soaking in vinegar before tumbling (if still needed) might be the way to go with the .458s. Any other comments or suggestions from anyone who has used vinegar for brass cleaning?
Old June 28, 2015, 10:34 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
Should I toss my 60 rounds of reloaded ammo due to having changed the chemical composition of the brass?
Forgive, no. many years a go I used vinegar on the worst of cases, using vinegar was not a popular thing to do. later reloaders warmed to the ideal using lime shine and or other acids when cleaning cases was acceptable.

I set a time limit with vinegar, before that there was a formula for cleaning cases, the time limit was 2 minutes +/- a few seconds. Then there was another time factor when getting rid of the effect the acid had on the case. they did not get rid of the case, they got rid of the effect the cleaner had on the case.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2015, 11:26 AM   #7
mikld

The main chemical to worry about in polishes is ammonia. It will degrade the brass and consequently weaken the case...
Old June 28, 2015, 11:39 AM   #8
skizzums

if you vibratory tumble long enough, and with a very small dose of nu-finish(I use a couple teaspoons of turtle wax car wash), eventually your brass will shine like gold. just may take 12-20 hours. but usually 6-8 hours gets them pretty gleaming.

no, you did not injure your brass, at least not in the short term.
Old June 28, 2015, 12:00 PM   #9
mikld

The main chemical to worry about in polishes is ammonia. It will degrade the brass and consequently weaken the case...
Old June 28, 2015, 12:51 PM   #10
g.willikers

What's is called when someone starts to repeat themselves?
Oh yes, Dementia.

What's is called when someone starts to repeat themselves?
Oh yes, Dementia.
Old June 28, 2015, 10:34 PM   #11
condor bravo

Re: skizzums
That is what I was wanting to avoid, the 10 to 20 hours, or even the 8 to 10 hours, of tumbling, even though that would no doubt do the job. So was looking forward to someone's magic usage of vinegar to really speed things along. Apparently using vinegar with brass hasn't gained much in popular usage.
Old June 28, 2015, 10:56 PM   #12
reynolds357

Some of the sizing waxes have petroleum distillates in them.
Old June 29, 2015, 07:51 AM   #13
F. Guffey

Quote:
other comments or suggestions from anyone who has used vinegar for brass cleaning?
Yes, around here my wife has to cure-alls, if there is a problem it gets vinegar or WD40.

I can not give credit where it was earned but on a forum I read a few lines about tools.

One, if it moves and shouldn't use duck tape.

Two, if it should move and doesn't use WD40.

I started on two 10" chucks I could not afford. I tried everything I had going back to Marvel Mystery Oil, nothing worked, finally I took the chucks apart the hard way.

F. Guffey
Old June 29, 2015, 08:03 AM   #14
jfilion2

LEE Chamfering / Deburring error

Okay, last newbie question.

I got a LEE Chamfering / Deburring tool in my reloading kit. It did a good job on the inside of the case, but on the outside bevel the tool dug a groove 3/4 inches from the mouth. You can see it in the photos below.

Will this groove destroy my casing? I went out and bought a Hornady tool that will do better from now on. The groove is not deep enough to feel with my nails.

lee_chamfer_tool.png

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2839.JPG
Old June 29, 2015, 10:43 AM   #15
BoogieMan

I use citric acid. 1-tbsp per 1/2 gal and let them soak for about 20 mins before a rinse and then tumble in corncob with new finish mixed in. I do this for all my cases. I have never been worried and so far never had an issue. Should I be concerned? I load 9mm, 460s&w, 30-06 and will likely be adding more as time goes on.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 29, 2015, 11:42 AM   #16
mikld

"Dug a groove 3/4 inches from the mouth". Did you hold the tool straight, inline with the case? My Daddy always told me "First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool..." (JK!)
Old June 29, 2015, 04:49 PM   #17
F. Guffey

Quote:
Some of the sizing waxes have petroleum distillates in them
petroleum distillates: That would include Bag Balm, Cosmoline and Vaseline.

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmo...ustrial-grade/

F. Guffey