The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 21, 2000, 05:50 PM   #1
solo

A friend of mine is looking for a barrel for a german mat 11. I never heard of this firearm before until he mentioned it. I decided to help look over the internet and have not found any info whatsoever on a German mat 11. At first I thought he said Mac 11 but I asked him once again and he said mat 11. Where can he find parts for this firearm and where can I find info on this firearm? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old April 21, 2000, 07:49 PM   #2
Wild Billy

Tell us what it is , revolver, pistol rifle...?
Old April 22, 2000, 10:57 AM   #3
solo

If I am not badly mistaken it is in the sub-machinegun category and shoots 9mm. I'll try to get more info, I could be wrong but I beleive this is correct.
Old April 24, 2000, 08:30 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The only MAT anything I could find was the MAT 1949, which was a French subgun in 9mm. If the MAT is all in capital letters that is probably a French designation. The first two letters are Manufacture d'Armes and the last is the name where it was built (MAB - Manufacture d.Armes de Bayonne). The T in MAT stood for Tulle. Of course there are exceptions to this, like all rules.
Germany did produce a series of inexpensive revolvers from the Rohm company and there was an RG-11 listed. This is a 22lr revolver. There is also listed a Reck SM-11. This appears to be a baby Browning look-a-like (sort of). It's a .25 cal auto holding 5 rounds. Seems to also be an inexpensive handgun as only the barrel, striker, spring and pins are steel, the rest is built of sintered metal.
Though this is all conjecture as to whether it helps or not.
If more information is available perhaps we can help out better.