The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2016, 05:12 PM   #1
3502dav1

All my reloading gear is in....what next.

Hi,
My name is Dave and I have not reloaded handgun ammunition in over 20 years. I recently ordered a Lee Classic Turret press and everything I need except powder, bullets and primers.
I will be reloading 9mm ammo to start and hope to move to .45 and 10mm.

What would you suggest regarding powder for a newbie like me. I will probably purchase 115 grain fmj bullets to start. I will shoot them out of a Glock 43, Sig P320c.

I've read through the reloading manual and all of the safety steps needed. I will read them again. I just need some recommendation on a decent powder to use and a good place to order my supplies.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2016, 05:59 PM   #2
surveyor

If you want to have 1 or 2 powders

Look at the load charts next, and see if there is a common powder that can be used for all 3 calibers. Check several load data sources. Sometimes there is,other times not so much.

Some powders will be better in certain calibers than others.

I don't load 40

But do load 9,38 spec and 45, and bullseye was availible to me, and works in all 3 calibers for target loads so that's what I used.

There are a lot of good powders out there that burn clean, and meter well.

Bullseye is a little dirty to me, but it meters well and works from what I'm asking of it.

The thread about what other powders have you discovered is worth a read as well.

,powder valley, natchez, and similar sites are good to check, but you have to order enough to make the hazmat and shipping worthwhile.
On a couple pounds I find its not worthwhile.

Last edited by surveyor; July 24, 2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old July 24, 2016, 07:00 PM   #3
kmw1954

Welcome in Dave!

I too am just getting ready to start reloading again after being out of it for many years. I'll be starting with the 9mm also.

There are a good number of powders that folks are using for the 9mm with great results. At best it comes down to what you can find locally and consistently.

Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Bass Pro are one source if there is one nearby. Can also do a simple web search for local gun shops.
Old July 24, 2016, 08:45 PM   #4
603Country

I load the same Calibers, and use Unique, W231, and Universal.
Old July 25, 2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Don P

My vote is for titegroup. I use it in all the following, 380, 38spl.357mag, 9mm, 40S&W, 45acp
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 25, 2016, 10:31 AM   #6
qrz

Check your local LGS for which powders are the most easiest to obtain w/ costs of each. I really l like power pistol but can't get it here so that's out for me as I won't order and pay hazard fees. I can gets lots of w231/hp38 so gravitate towards those. Then choose something that will work so you can always have "that" powder on hand. Easier to check/develop a new lot of powder than a whole new type of powder so to speak. Also look into some of the new powders that might be a little less temperature sensitive for loads made in the winter and shot in the summer and vice versa if you live in an area where temp swings are a concern by season.
Check out some places like extreme and others for bulk buying bullets.
Old July 25, 2016, 01:20 PM   #7
rob-c

Check local and go from there , compare local prices to Internet and you may find that after hazmat and shipping cost local is cheaper . Order some good reloading manuals if you have not all ready . Lyman is a very good one they have lots of loads for hard cast and jacketed bullets.
Old July 25, 2016, 02:55 PM   #8
3502dav1

Thanks. I have the Lyman 49th edition manual. I have a Gander Mountain near me so I will check out what they have. Most of the other local gun stores do not sell reloading supplies. I am in Northern Virginia if anyone knows of a place that I am unaware of. I know cast bullets are a no-no in Glock but are they ok in Sig's? I would like to reap the most savings out of reloading and wanted to use cast bullets.

Old July 25, 2016, 04:02 PM   #9
rob-c

Check out extreme copper coated bullets they are not much more than hardcast , I shot nothing but hardcast till I bought some extreme bullets they are pretty good .
Old July 25, 2016, 06:08 PM   #10
alexcue

HP38/W231 and Titegroup are good all around powders that dispense very well through powder measures. I've used them through most of the popular pistol calibers.

My personal preference for 9mm and 124gr bullets is BE-86. It's just been incredibly accurate, clean burning and dispenses very consistently. I haven't used it a lot other than testing some 115gr FMJ's I had, and it worked fine also with it.

I like to have some general use powders like W231 and Titegroup, but prefer to use specialized powders when they are available for specific calibers.
Old July 25, 2016, 07:41 PM   #11
849ACSO

I don't reload 9mm, but I do .38, 10mm, 357 Mag and 45ACP in handgun. Titegroup and Universal come to mind immediately. I use longshot for Longshot for 10mm, but research may show suitable loads for the calibers you are loading as well, especially 9mm and 40.
Old July 26, 2016, 03:39 PM   #12
3502dav1

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try to check out extreme copper bullets and titegroup.

Old July 26, 2016, 05:09 PM   #13
kmw1954

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your adventure and how it worked out.
Old July 27, 2016, 09:43 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

For components check out VA Guntrader, another good source of powder and primers is Triune Arms in Warrenton. Also not far from you is Bullet 41 in Dumfries he has good supplies and prices. For bullets I've had great success with Extreme Bullets and Acme Bullets. I really like the Hitec coated bullets from Acme, I push them to jacketed levels with no problems. I live in Burke, if you ever have any problems or questions just PM me and I'll give you my personal contact info. Les.
Old July 29, 2016, 09:12 PM   #15
MosinM39

New to forum, happy to be here.

I have had great luck with Titegroup in 9mm, as stated also works well in other calibers. W231 / HP38 is a great pistol powder. There's some new one's on the market maybe worth looking into as well.

For .45 ACP I like Bullseye as it shoots every lead, plated and jacketed bullet style and wt very accurately for my guns. Yes it burns dirty, doesn't fill much of the case, still an all time great powder.

Lots of bullet makers for plated bullets I have had good luck with Extreme and Rainier, and for coated bullets good with Missouri Bullet Company. Have fun be safe.