The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Jethroshotgun

New to the forum and reloading

I am gearing up to reload the following calibers.
.300 win mag
.30 carbine

I am on the fence about what grain bullet I sould use for the .300. I would like advice from any of the resident experts. Also looking for a good all around powder.
Old June 21, 2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

Nobody can advise you well on bullet and powder combinations if they don't know what the purpose of the load is. Target shooting? Hunting? If so, hunting what kind of critter?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 21, 2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Clark

In 300WM I am partial to H4350 and 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip.
That is probably because i am such a lousy shot, I want something that flies flat to the deer at 500 yards max for me.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 21, 2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Ifishsum

I think 180gr is where the .300WM really shines, especially for longer ranges. The heavier bullets typically have a higher BC and past a point will drop less; to me the main point of the magnum to me is to push heavier bullets at the speed a standard cartridge does for lighter ones.
Old June 22, 2015, 10:12 AM   #5
cw308

I'm with Unclenick, Need more info.
Old June 22, 2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Jethroshotgun

Thanks for the responses! The .300 win mag is used for hunting, I have hunted deer (a little overkill for deer) and bear with it. I am looking for an all around load that will be useful for hunting as well as some target practice.

The .223 will be used for varmint hunting as well as target practice. This round could also be used for sniper poker.

The .30 carbine will be mainly used for home defense.

I will be using nosler bullets for hunting applications and full metal jacket for target practice? Other recommendations are welcome.

I understand reloading can be very complex! I am just looking for simple advice that is both functional and safe to start with.

I hope this helps.
Old June 22, 2015, 03:19 PM   #7
ligonierbill

Given your 3 calibers, you are talking 3 different powders. One of the major reloading manuals will provide good reading as well as some combinations to work up. That said, of your rounds I load only .223, 5.56x45 I guess, since mine is an AR. My favorite load, which gives me a 1" group out of a 16 1/2" garden variety EBR, is 55 Sierra HPBT (#1390) over 25.8 gr TAC and a CCI #41 primer. COAL 2.24". Gives 2,968/20 Std out of mine. That's 100 fps less than M193s, but accuracy deteriorates with any more powder.

I don't load your others, but the .300 Win Mag will be wanting a slow powder such as Reloder 22. The .30 Carbine will want a slow pistol powder (H110).

Reloading is not really complex, just exacting. Go slow and keep your patience turned way up. You'll do well.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:45 AM   #8
RKG

I'll chime in on .30 Carbine:

1) Though it appears to be a straght walled case, the Carbine actually has a slight taper to it. You want to use carbid dies, but unlike carbide dies for straight walled cases (e.g., 9mm, .357), some lube will be required. I usually lube a dozen cases, and then size one lubed, three unlubed, one lubed, and so forth.

2) The books will give you loads for all sorts of powder and slugs for .30 Carbine, but I suggest you ignore that and stick to the tried and true load for which the round was developed: 110 grain RN FMJ and 13.0 - 13.5 grains of H110.

3) Carbine brass is becoming hard to find: be careful not to step on any of your empties!
Old June 23, 2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Longshot4

When I had a 300 Mag. I found the 150gr. bullet was plenty for energy and very flat shooting. Today I would choose a barns to hold together on heavier Elk... Although for target shooting a Hornady would do fine. I ended up trading my 300 Mag for a 308 Winchester It is much more pleasant cartridge to shoot and won't knock my glasses off. That was about 38 years ago and I have no regrets
Old June 24, 2015, 09:50 AM   #10
condor bravo

4227 is also a popular powder for the .30 carbine. Note that some of the powder charges will compress upon bullet seating but this is normal. The 110 gr jacketed RN is the standard bullet. Copper plated 110 gr bullets at a good price can be obtained from X-treme Bullets in Nevada and some calibers becomming more and more available at gun shows. Loading for the carbine is user friendly and should not present any problems.

Not much can be added about the .300 Win. Most will agree that the 180 gr is the most popular bullet weight. When in doubt start with 4350 powder.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 24, 2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old June 24, 2015, 06:59 PM   #11
condor bravo

Addendum to the above:
If you are in need of .30 carbine brass, it shouldn't be that hard to come by. As usual, check the internet "30 carbine brass for sale" and several sources will come up, both for once fired and new. One especially appealing source, if you like nickle plated, was for new Remington but only available at around $180 per bulk packed 500. Otherwise look for sorted and cleaned once fired. If military, primer pockets will not be crimped; at least all of my military are not and I assume all are the same. But I recommend commercial as first choice. Even though weight of each is about the same (close to 74-75 gr with spent primer still intact), the commercial seems to be somewhat preferable for reloading.

And like its big brother, the M-1 Garand, it is a terifically fun gun to shoot so you probably wont want to relegate it only for home defense.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 26, 2015 at 09:16 AM.