The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 16, 2002, 02:16 PM   #76
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
A kid slashing tires in some Texan's driveway gets shot at, the antis would go absolutely nuts with something like that
1. There's always one more perp than you see...so if you observe someone doing something to your car (disabling it? placing abomb under the hood? using it as cover to gove other infiltrators support?), it would be reasonable to eliminate the visible threat and search for the rest.

2. On a purely ethical note, anyone victimizing others ought to remain alive only at the discretion of the wronged party. On a practical note, most sane people don't exclude the possibility of some innocent explanation and so don't shoot until absolutely certain.
Old November 16, 2002, 11:39 PM   #77
coonan357

when the Ex future mrs coonan spent the night , she woke me up to tell me she heard some thing making noises outside of the front of the house I grabbed the lda and the surefire and told her to stay put and make sure the cell was near by , also I told her where the backup was at and not to get it unless shot where fired , all it was was a hungry critter in the trash . needless to say i didn't sleep a wink that night but she did ..

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old November 17, 2002, 02:04 AM   #78
taxyman

when tinhgs went bump in the night

looking through the posts i've seen a bunch of "I'll protect everything I have" {except myself}. If you are really going to go gettem I would suggest taking time to put on the armor I have only seen one post where somebody going to protect what is theirs who wants to protect himself enough to accomplish this. If someone is willing to come into your home know you are home more than likely they;
#1 are not alone
#2 are probably armed in one way or another
#3 Stoned
#4 just plain stupid and should be locked up for that alone.....

I have had to leave the safety of the bedroom and go out into the house, the dog alerted and wife heard something waking me up. She stays on oppsite side of bed from the door armed {just in case} first thing grabbed and thrown on is armor { which aside from weapons is beside the bed} then the G23 and maglite. She stands by the phone with 911 dialed in ready to make call should the call need to be made. B4 shooting someone you better be in immeadite danger of "serious bodily harm" {shooting one in the back on his way out your door not a good idea}. MAKE THE SHOT COUNT if it needs to be taken {they can't testify against you in a civil suit {which is sure to follow } if they are pushing up daisies.
Old November 17, 2002, 03:12 PM   #79
Seeker

Bogbabe;

Also if you trade shots with BG who is between you (in your bedroom) and your kids, your kids are downrange.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old November 18, 2002, 07:17 PM   #80
JeepDriver

If the dog barks, I'm up. When I open that door there better not be anyone in the house.

I let my dog make that call. If I let her out of the bed room and she keeps barking the pistol is in my hand. If they don't run from her (or God forbid hurt the dog) They won't be bothering anyone the next night.
Old November 20, 2002, 12:09 AM   #81
Brrlgrrl
Registration in progress

In regard to a comment LASur5r made:

"A really good friend recommended a dog to walk "guard." Mean to take him up on that suggestion."

I am very interested in this. I had a friend who taught her Dobie to "go see". From a whisper this dog would go on alert and check the area. I am interested in how your friend taught his dog to walk guard. Check only doors and windows, or actually walk the perimeter during the night?

My perfect alarm system would be those motion sensor lights w/o the lights that would quietly raise the kennel doors. I love the fact that Dobermans for the most part are quiet, but bark if there is reason. My last one died 2 years ago, and I need to get another one. He wasn't much of a guard dog though, since he spent the night wrapped in a blanket in the laundry room!
Old November 21, 2002, 10:23 AM   #82
Kharn

My house: Grab shotgun and go looking.
Girlfriend's house: Yell at the two German Shepards to not chase whoever just turned tail and ran for the street while screaming about big dogs taking their pound of flesh.

Kharn