The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 14, 2012, 06:39 AM   #1
00_Green

Winchester Model 1892 32 WCF

I'm trying to gather some information on a Winchester Model 1892 chambered in 32 WCF. It belongs to a friend and he'd like to determine the value in order to sell it.
It has a 24" hexagon barrel, SN 88XXX. Over all the condition of the metal and wood appears to be very good. Unfortunately it was re-blued at some point in it's life and the saddle ring is missing.
I have the rifle in my possession and can provide any other in formation or pictures if needed.

Thx!
Old June 14, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
PetahW

The bbl is referred to as an octagon bbl, not a hexagon, and the reblue cuts the value of your friend's M1892 (made in 1895) by at least 50%, making it a $700 +/- shooter.

FWIW - Rifle models weren't AFAIK issued with saddle rings, like Carbine models were.

Old June 14, 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Based on the Proofhouse.com chart it was made in 1895. There is some doubt about these charts but that gets you in the ballpark.
Reblue really hurts the collector value. I think it is worth whatever a cowboy shooter would pay for an American made smallbore lever action instead of an import.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, when I was selling such, CAS/Cowboy shooters were interested more in the larger bores - .38-40 & .44-40 - than either a .25-20 or .32-20.

The smallbores are great squill & 'yote guns, though.

My fave was a Turnbull redeux 1892 rifle in .32-20 with a button mag - when I bought it, I first thought it was a Model 53......

Old June 14, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Jim Watson

When I was shooting CAS, I used .44s, usually .44 WCF, sometimes .44 Special in the sixgun when I had a lot of SWCs on hand.

But the trend now seems to be to .38 Special for low recoil and low cost.
The .32-20 won't kick much but non-handloader casual shooters would whine about the price of cattiges.
Old June 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6
00_Green

Gents,

Thanks for all replies, You've been a great help as I only own modern firearms.

"The bbl is referred to as an octagon bbl, not a hexagon" You are quite correct, I was passing along along the info given to me, i never took the time to look at, and count the sides.

Thanks again!
Old August 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
2bit

OOGreen,

I am a little bit confused about your post. You referenced that the rifle has an octagon barrel but that the saddle ring is missing. It is extremely rare for sporting rifle configurations to have a saddle ring on them. The saddle ring carbines almost always had them. Is there an empty staple on the left side of the receiver where the ring "would have been"? If your friend still has the rifle I would love to see some photos and enter it into a research survey I am working on. I currently have just over 3600 rifles in the effort.Could you send me pics of all the stamped writing and the full serial number please?

Thanks
Michael
[email protected]