The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 9, 2019, 12:40 PM   #1
4thHorseman

New Colt King Cobra

I purchased a new Colt King Cobra at a gun show recently, because I have never seen one before and thought it would be nice to have one.
I took it to the range today. I have never fired a 357 revolver before that was so manageable, accurate and comfortable to shot. The trigger is incredible for a revolver. It does carry over the trigger return action as days gone by. I have get use to fully returning the trigger because of the last distance travel is a bit weak, as past Colts were. I will short stroke it if I am not used to it.
The 357 loads were easy to shot accurately and I did not feel like I was trying to catch a swinging baseball bat as with other 357 revolvers. I believe Colt did something to the trigger guard to ease the kick back sensation.
It is not at all like the Colt Magnum Carry shoots. Much easier. It does not have the lock-work of the Colt Magnum Carry.
It only weighs 28 oz and has a 3 inch full lug barrel.
Easy to carry for me. I believe it is made off of the D frame size, but a bit larger maybe. But it feels like a D frame to me.
I am not sure, but I believe it will fit into a Ruger SP101 3inch barrel holster.
I love this revolver!
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Last edited by 4thHorseman; February 9, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old February 9, 2019, 02:00 PM   #2
t4terrific

Nice! I want one, but I would love to have more of a brushed finish. Matte is ugly.
Old February 11, 2019, 06:39 PM   #3
dgludwig

I wonder how it compares in size to the Kimber K6? I'm trying to decide between the two and size matters to a point. Weight too and especially the da trigger pull.
Old February 14, 2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Rollcrimp1

It’s only the beginning

Cobra was Colt’s reentry into the wheel gun market (except for the SAA on a limited basis). It was successful enough. Now substantiated rumors abound that Colt will re-introduce all the snake guns. I’m a reloading addict so from that standpoint the Cobra doesn’t really catch my attention but damn I hope their sales go through the roof if it convinces them to bring back the Python and Anaconda!
Old February 25, 2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Not to hijack the thread, but got a smoking deal on a new Cobra. Haven't shot it yet, but damn, it feels great in hand and the trigger pull in both DA and SA is excellent. Certainly better than anything I've felt from S&W or Ruger recently.

No necessarily in love with the matte finish but it should also hide wear well.