The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2019, 07:56 PM   #26
Buckeye!

Great find ,,, congratulations!!!!!
Old January 24, 2019, 01:25 AM   #27
lamarw

The recent one off my bucket list is a Model 29 no dash in immaculate condition. Production year was 1960. It came with the "Coke" stocks and a factory clamshell presentation box with tools. The stocks are valued in the 5 to 7 hundred range and the presentation case another two to three hundred. For the price I paid, I came close to getting the revolver for free.

I am still attempting to get the illusive Model 57. I have had someone at two auctions in the last couple of years who wanted one more than I. It too will happen one day.

Anyway, Congrats on your humpback Mike.
Old January 24, 2019, 10:25 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

Interesting that this thread would come back.

Back in 2016 I made this observation...

"One thing that concerns me is that the cylinder bolt is quite loose in the frame window, and that allows more cylinder wobble than I like. I may have to see about installing a new bolt."

Well, recently I realized it's not the cylinder bolt that is the problem. When I push on the cylinder the entire crane swings out slightly; enough to make me thing it would cause real problems.

I've not had a chance to really take a good look at it yet, but a cursory examination makes me think that the problem is with the locking stud under the barrel.

I need to figure out if it's something I want to try addressing myself or if I want to send it back to S&W.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2019, 09:08 PM   #29
Leaf

I'm not ashamed to admit that from when I was a rookie officer many, many years ago to even now I've always wanted to own a S&W model 36 snubby in stainless or Colt similar with the skinny factory grips. For me, back in the sixties and even the early seventies those were the epitome of what a plainclothes street detective/investigator wore. They were handily concealable and by the standards pretty much adequate to take on a wide assortment of bad guys. Sort of embarrassing that we could be that ignorant back then, but hey, that's the way it was. How did we ever survive?
Old January 31, 2019, 08:10 PM   #30
Drm50

I am a S&W revolver guy, 6"- 83/8" adj sight P&Rs. I got a M38 on trade a while back and
fooled with it some. I liked the ability to cock the hammer and still be snag proof. I cold carry it in Chore coat breast pocket. If I was looking for a carry J frame a m38 would be it.
I trade it for a m19 which was more up my alley.
Old January 31, 2019, 08:27 PM   #31
BusGunner007

Model 49 was the first handgun I ever wanted.
Still haven't bought a 'BODYGUARD' in any configuration.

Now I know what my next purchase will be.