The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 21, 2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

I like small town gun shows

Small town gun shows just seem to have a feel that appeals to me.

At the big shows there is a high percentage of vendors who are major dealers and their approach is more aloof. "Show me the money and the pistol is yours. Don't negotiate because the guy behind you is willing to pay full price."

Went to a small show in Cape Coral Fl today and the tables were completely run by local folks, maybe some local shops.

There was a lot of stuff that really interested me. Lot of stuff that fit the C&R or antique definition. Not much that was new.

I bought a 1908 Vest Pocket Colt with the magazine in pretty good shape. Shootable (at least I think it is) with about 80% finish. Serial number is 75xxx and the vendor told me that put it in the 1912 range.

He had four of them ranging from 450.00 down to 350.00. I took the best one and negotiated a price we were both happy with.

Now I have to start buying .25 ammunition
Old March 22, 2015, 10:31 AM   #2
jdscholer

I'm with ya on that. Our local small town gun show happens twice a year, and for me there's no better way to spend a day or even the whole weekend. (well almost).

The venders are generally friendly and acquainted with each other, and will readily refer you to one another if it will help you find what you want. I think for a lot of us who are there, it is as much about the social experience as it is purchasing, spending, profiting.

I've been around here all my life, and I'm still seeing some of the same firearms that I saw years ago, just at different tables. I know several of the guys well enough that I'm often invited to pull up a chair behind the table to take a rest and chat a while. (or maybe to get me out of the way in front of the table).

Ours is happening again in about a month, and I can't wait. jd
Old March 22, 2015, 11:41 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are only a few .25 autos I consider reliable and the old Colt is #1.

A couple of notes just for fun - the Colt firing pin, spring and guide are interchangeable with the same parts on the FN Model 1910 and Model 1922.

And if you crimp the back end coil of the firing pin spring so it fits into the groove in the guide, and spread the front end coil where it fits into the firing pin, the three pieces will stay together and not fly away on disassembly.

Jim
Old March 23, 2015, 03:20 AM   #4
mete

Another thing about good gun shows - often you can find non-gun items a interest ! I looked through books at one show and found a railroad book. An old operating manual -what lights and flags to use and how to use them ,etc ! Then I saw it was for a RR that had been in the area my brother lived . Happy Birthday !
Old March 23, 2015, 03:44 AM   #5
eastbank

i like small shows too, i find more firearm parts and loading supplies and a few good quality firearms that walk in the door. to be informed on the firearms and parts you want to buy gives you a edge on local dealers. eastbank.
Old March 23, 2015, 09:46 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Nice find Doc! I hope you have nimble fingers though if you're going to reload for the 25! I just missed out on one of those a couple of months ago - they look like a fun little gun and you can't go wrong with a Colt!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 24, 2015, 09:30 AM   #7
tahunua001

our small town gun chow has been going downhill. a lot of times it's a gun and "horn" show in the spring where half the building is just a fish and game center for gauging trophies and the fall show(yep we get a whopping 2 a year) is usually as much coins and crafts as it is guns. most of the time there is a huge amount of evil black tactical junk and antique lever guns, nothing that interests me. this show was a bit of a let down, first time I had no money to spend and there were a lot of vintage military rifles in good condition and they were even asking decent prices for them and I couldn't even bring one home... I am still bummed about it.
Old March 24, 2015, 09:53 AM   #8
RodTheWrench

I like most any gun show. There's a Collector Gun Show up north of me a couple times a year where you can get some good info on older stuff and see some amazing pieces, but most aren't for sale - meaning they have prices but nobody in their right mind would pay them. It's good to talk to the old timers and learn a little more than I knew the day before.

Big gun shows can feel impersonal, but those of us trained to sniff deals out like bloodhounds will always find them. I think the good stuff is more easily hidden in a big show. There was a table at the last show that for all intents and purposes was a pieces/parts/junk table, but as I scanned it over a 9mm Shield caught my eye. Is it like new with box etc? Yes. Private sale? Yes. Wife doesn't like it? Right. Selling for under 300 bucks? Why not? But can you throw in that Model 59 mag with it? Ok, cool.
Old March 24, 2015, 09:53 AM   #9
kilimanjaro

I know this is heresy to us gun guys, but at one small show a young man was selling both his Granddads guns, and his library of 1950's and 1960's books. I picked up Ken Kesey's Cuckoo's Nest, The Thin Red Line, and The Sand Pebbles for a dollar apiece, all nice first editions, worth the price of a good Garand nowadays.
Old March 26, 2015, 03:26 AM   #10
Brotherbadger

I like smaller gun shows. Fewer people and a more intimate feel. My town has one once or twice a year, I always make an effort to go.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 26, 2015, 04:53 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Just got back from FL....

Took the Colt to the Post Office with my license.

Post office guy was like, "Oh I can't take that." "Lemme make a call to the main Post Office." "Oh you have to take it to the main P.O."

Took it to the main P.O. and the guy was like, "Sure, do you need insurance? "Do you want to send it registered?" "Wanna flat rate box?"

To Mete and Tahuna, There was a lot of that kind of stuff at this show too. Thing that bothers me is the knives....Why in the world would anyone want to collect knives?!? (Heard a guy at the knive table asking, "Why in the world would anyone want to collect guns?!?")

To East Bank, One of the reloading guys had a bag of two hundred .45-70 brass. Hard to resist.

To James K, Thanks for the info. Haven't got to the field strip state yet. Gotta go to the Post Office and sign for the pistol to pick it up.

BBB, I don't presently plan to reload .25. I don't have many .25 pistols and they are of the type that I don't plan to shoot much. Raven, Spanish Regina, some cats and dogs. I will shoot this Colt and save the brass just in case I change my mind.

To Rob, I am not at that point yet. I'm working on it. Always more to know.

To Brotherbadger, Precisely!

I am actually thinking about searching around for smaller shows that are within easy driving distance. I go to Virgnia Beach, Norfolk and Hampton but all are 600 tables and up and nine bucks to get in. Doswell, VA is two and half hours away and it is a little smaller (seven dollars). Went to Dade City, FL. Good show. Also went to a show in Port Charlotte, FL.
Old March 26, 2015, 08:58 PM   #12
FairWarning

It's not usual for years to pass between gun show visits for me now. I like the feel of small town gun shows, but the selection of bigger ones. By nature, I like unusual or odd ball guns/calibers, so I end up buying most online these days. It would have cost untold weekends and thousands of dollars in travel to find all of the guns I have now in person at gun shows.

My biggest regret is not picking a nice K98 or two back when they were still cheap and relatively plentiful.

And as an investment, if I could go back now, I would buy a pallet of Black Talon handgun ammo in various calibers and some Colt Pythons!
Old March 27, 2015, 11:38 AM   #13
kilimanjaro

FairWarning, I think we all regret not picking up a few K98s when they were cheap !

Small show tomorrow at our Legion hall, good way to spend a morning.
Old March 30, 2015, 04:00 PM   #14
Doc Hoy

Photos of 1908