The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 2, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
"JJ"

German made .25?

My late Uncle had this .25 from back in the day. My aunt now keeps it has her HDW. It is in pretty bad shape, the pic is of the side with a grip on it!! I was wanting to try to clean it up & maybe get her a grip. But I can't get a manufacturer.
The visable side of the slide reads "Made In Germany". The opposite side reads 25 caliber. There is a SR on the grip. The mag release is on the heal of the mag. I will try to get a better look at it next time I'm there. Maybe get serial #s, proof marks & so on.
Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.
"JJ"

Last edited by "JJ"; April 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Tom2

Picture no workee.
Old April 3, 2010, 10:56 AM   #3
"JJ"

This picture thing is getting the best of me!!

Please let me know if this doesn't show!
Old April 3, 2010, 07:38 PM   #4
"JJ"

Is this thing on?

Did the pic not post again or does nobody have a clue about this gun?
The only reply I have is that the pic didn't work, I replaced it.
Can you see it now?
Old April 4, 2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Avenger

Pictures are working, no idea what it is though, but looks like something from the 20s or 30s. If it is German there will probably be a "Crown N" marking on the frame somewhere. It's a capital N under a little crown, stamped when the pistol passes a nitro powder proof test.

Last edited by Avenger; April 4, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old April 4, 2010, 03:58 PM   #6
RJay

I believe it is a "Reck" from Kart Arndt Reck , Sportwaffenfabrik, West Germany. Sold in Europe as the PO8 and in the US as the LA Fury and Chicago Cub. 1950's/60's. Could be wrong. Trouble with these small inexpensive guns is that most reference books do not show them, they are only listed. They assume so few people are interested in them why go to the bother. I don't like flat statements, so I will just say I don't think you are going to find any grips for it. Sorry about that.
Old April 5, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
"JJ"

I'm getting the idea this is not a common firearm.
I did find a photo of one that matches this one. It is a "RHONER SM11" for sale on Guns America's site.
A search on this turned up nothing.
I might be better of taking of the one grip & making a pair myself!
Thanks for the input!!
"JJ"
Old April 5, 2010, 04:54 PM   #8
mapsjanhere

JJ, the easiest thing to check is age, pre - and postwar German guns will have distinctively different proof marks. Once you got that nailed down, we can proceed. I had a Roehm 8mm blank/gas gun as a kid that looked strongly like your .25.
Old April 5, 2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Tom2

If you look at an exploded view of the Reck pistol, it looks suspiciously like the exploded view of a .25 Raven. I have a scarce paperback gun book that reprints owners manuals and it has one referring to the Reck P6, P8, P10 models. Basically it appears that it takes down similiar to a Raven too. Raven is maybe just a simplified version of the Reck design. My flatbed is apparently screwed up or I might have scanned it. Take down is thus- First remove the mag and clear as you would any auto. Then pull trigger to relieve striker spring tension. There is a button behind the left grip that you either press or rotate? till the slide bolt thing pops out of the rear of the frame part way. Then you are supposed to be able to rotate the slide upwards and forwards to remove it from the frame. It shows a finger depressing the striker spring and guide, so be careful, that might be something that will pop out of the rear of the slide unexpectedly. Be sure to fully depress the slide bolt back into the rear of the frame when assembled or it will not function. But in any case, be absolutely sure the gun is clear and empty chamber before anything.

Last edited by Tom2; April 5, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

It's a Reck. (Pun intended.)
Fairly late gun. They didn't make die cast zinc guns in the '20s and '30s.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #11
B.C

Re; SM 11

If you can't find parts for the gun I'd be willing to give you $50 bucks just for the magizine.--B.C
[email protected]
Old June 19, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, JJ,

I have to recommend that you forget about trying to buy any parts for that gun (they are not available) and see if you can buy or loan your aunt a better defense weapon. Those guns were made and sold cheaply under several names and are not (IMHO) reliable enough to depend on for anything except a paperweight.

Jim
Old June 20, 2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Dino.

+1 for making your own grips.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:27 PM   #14
gyvel

Definitely a Reck LaFury or one of several other names this gun was sold under (Hawes, Spesco, Falcon, Gecado, Hy Hunter, et. al) in the 50s and 60s. Zamak construction, and in the same class as a Davis or Raven.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.