The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2017, 07:14 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Red dot for steel challenge

I have a tru dot on a 10/22 that is junk. I knew it when I put it on there. I just wanted to test out the technology. Since theno I have bought a trijicon rmr and a docter for a couple of handguns. Both are great bit I don't think they are the best for shooting steel plates with sun glare. I would like some suggestions for a good red dot for steel. American made like trijicon, Leupold, eotech etc... price isn't really an issue. I don't want a Burris or vortex. What's the advantage of a tube style versus a halo style?
#murica
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 25, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Okieflash

Difference between tube style and halo ( open frame)

I'm very new and not nearly as experienced with these as I'd like to be yet. But my opinion is that the tube type red dot is to me confining in that you must find your target in it the same way you would a standard scope. My experience with the open frame ( halo style) red dot is more reflexive, Infact I consulted an LEO in my one horse town and from his lips came the answer I took to heart. " I prefer the reflex sight because from whatever angle you fire as long as the dot is on your target, you hit it." My own experimentation lines up, in that even if the dot is ( hypothetically) in the upper right quadrant meaning your rifle isn't aligned to the target (as we perfectionists strive to do every time if possible) but the dot is on your target it does hit it. Maybe I have strayed into a whole different territory on this, if so it was not my intent.

OkieFlash
Old February 26, 2017, 12:18 AM   #3
AzShooter

Try mounting a C-More Railway on your gun. Allchin Gun works will have a mount for you.

The C-More gives you the best sight picture over any of those small dot sights.
It seems to have the fastest pickup for your sight. You can also get whatever size dot you want from 3 minute to 16 minute. For Steel Challenge matches I use a 12 minute dot.

The dot stays round and does not wash out even on the brightest Arizona days. There is no star effect to the dot as you brighten it. I run with the dot about 3/4s on and am satisfied. I can lower it to where I can see through the dot or make it brighter going to the 10 setting.

The C-More is the most widely used Red Dot Sight in both USPSA and SCSA matches according to surveys after the large matches.

Good luck and good shooting.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:13 AM   #4
jersurf101

I have a Bushnell TR25 on my AR. It is heavy but the bright 1 moa dot is great for banging steel out to 200 yards.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:54 AM   #5
Mobuck

"My own experimentation lines up, in that even if the dot is ( hypothetically) in the upper right quadrant meaning your rifle isn't aligned to the target (as we perfectionists strive to do every time if possible) but the dot is on your target it does hit it."

I'll go out on a limb here and say "NO" to that comment. If "your rifle isn't aligned to the target", YOU WILL NOT HIT.
If your eye is not aligned with the axis of the optic causing the dot to not appear centered, that is an entirely different condition.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:44 AM   #6
MarkCO

C-More railway.

I avoided them for years, but they are the best for the closer in speed games. I run a 4 MOA on my AR9 since I shoot it out further in carbine matches, but on the 10/22 for steel, the 6 MOA is what I prefer.
Old February 26, 2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

I've used a good variety of different red-dot sights, my fastest speed times was using can sights.
The bigger the can the better, the old Tasco PD4 and PD5 can sights were great.
I've used C-More, never really cared for them that much, I had a client that called them C-Less sights and I agree with him.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 26, 2017, 09:43 AM   #8
BoogieMan

She checked out a c-more at the match. She and I do like them. Thing is I want to buy American. The delta point is a nice unit but it doesn't come with a larger dot unless you move to the delta shape. I love my 2moa trijicon rmr for hunting. But I'm not sure it's large enough for steel challenge.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 26, 2017, 01:49 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

Hunter Custom is correct about the can sights. If you're hung up on where it's made, you're just tying your own hands. You can get by with anything, but if you want to win, look what the winners are using. I like to buy American myself, but we simply don't make the best of everything here in the USA. There never was a time in our history where we did. Foreign products have always held the highest status in some products. We sold to them and they sold to us. Called trading. Good luck.
Old February 26, 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
salt and battery

for me on an AR ghost ring sites a re faster then a dot sight. there is an article on rifleshooter.com where on shotguns they tried to see what was faster dot site or ghost ring and the ghost ring was a little faster and a lot cheaper plus not having those sites sometimes with a magnifier cluttering up the rail and making aiming the barrel at close range almost impossible