The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2017, 02:27 PM   #1
jag2

Polishes/Cleaners

I think I'm like a lot of shooters, I have several different cleaners and polishes to keep my guns shiny and protected but I got to wondering if I'm working against my self. Sometimes my final wipe down may be CLR or Gibbs or Kroil and occasionally Renaissance wax. Also do a quick swipe with a Rustys Rag which is basically sheep skin with silicone. So say last time I wiped down with CLR but next time I'm not quite as busy so I decide to use Renaissance. Would there be some leftover residue from the CLR that might prevent the wax from doing its best job. Will the silicone prevent the Kroil working? You see what I'm getting at. Any thoughts?
Old February 6, 2017, 04:28 PM   #2
MarkCO

Lucas Oil Metal Polish and Tumbler additive. Stuff is amazing.
Old February 6, 2017, 07:54 PM   #3
bn12gg

Ballistol -- great stuff -- mineral oil based.

.02. David.
Old February 6, 2017, 09:53 PM   #4
jag2

Sorry, didn't mean for this to be an "I use xxx" post but looking for thoughts on mixing different types of products from time to time on the same gun.
Old February 6, 2017, 10:32 PM   #5
Dufus

Generally it is not a good idea to mix chemicals. Sometimes mixing two chemicals can turn them into a chemical different than the original two with undesirable results.

Thoroughly clean the firearm before applying to remove the first chemical and then apply the second chemical.

It will not occur each and every time, but I don't like taking chances with my firearms.

I dabbled with mixing chemicals when I was young. After all the excitement settled down that one time, the fireman explained why it should not be done.

A true life experience and lesson learned.