The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 28, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
bscuderi

New to the forum with mini 14 questions

I have a ruger mini 14 580 series in stainless steel. My question is about the barrel flex and accuracy. I'm looking to do a few upgrades but I'm kinda poor. I'm wondering what if any upgrade is a must do with the most bang for you r buck if you will. I was looking at as couple of products I'm assuming you can't use them both together

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/679...y-in-the-white

http://trueshottechnologies.com/RUGER_MINI_14_30.html

Do these only really help with hot barrels or cold barrels to o i dont often rapid fire but if i was i don't think id care about groups as much

Im not looking to competion shoot but would love to be able to reach coyotes and Jack rabbits confidently from long range. Are any of these worth the doe or are there other things like gas block or triggers that would be most beneficial and have no gun Smith experience so easy is preferred
Old November 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2
bscuderi

Or even these strange contraptions??
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/index.php

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
Old November 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Crazy88Fingers

The barrel flex really only becomes an issue when the barrel is hot. As long as you don't get carried away with the trigger, you should be fine. One shot for a critter should hit where you aim.

A new barrel will be an expensive undertaking. A trigger job, smaller gas port bushing, and an Accu-Strut will probably be your best bang-for-the-buck. Also, some believe that a pin on flash hider will help stabilize the barrel a bit. It certainly makes the rifle look cooler.

*Edit*
Be aware that most of the accuracy problems were with the older Minis. The new ones are made on updated machinery and have had a few design tweaks. They're generally much more accurate.

Last edited by Crazy88Fingers; November 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
rickyrick

I succesfully hunt coyotes with a mini 14, 581 series but I get them to come within 100yds.

How long of a range are you expecting?

You may want to get a bolt action in 22-250 or something along those lines or maybe 243 if you are thinking long range varmiting.

While the mini is my favorite rifle, I don't consider it a long range rifle.

Others may be able to attest to its longer range capabilities but at my ranges it's perfect.

I'd say try it out first before adding anything to it.

Old November 29, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
bscuderi

Ya I've heard the new ones are more accurate maybe I will if ican achieve the accuracy i want once I put a scope on it and get it really dialed in. Perhaps the open sites is my reason for bad groups at 100 yards. I figured it woul be nice I take at least a 300 yard shot for coyotes in some open country.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6
rickyrick

You might be ok at 300 yds, I can make good accurate shots to 178. That's the longest shooting lane I have.

The coyote on the tailgate with the wound center mass was about 80yds standing unsupported in the dark. He came from an unexpected location on my right side and I had to pivot my whole body to get the shot. I aimed at the center of his body because it was offhand and it still hit where I aimed.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #7
bscuderi

I've been interested in tryin at night that looks like fun I'm diggin your predator light nice set up! Do u kick it on when you think there's one there or does te lift no bother them to leave on?
Old November 29, 2012, 02:05 PM   #8
rickyrick

The light doesn't seem to bother them, but I don't turn it on till I think they are close. In dry stuff you can hear them coming. I usually blink it on and see if I see eyes.

The light originally had a 6volt h3 bulb but I replaced it with a 12 h3 motorcycle bulb and use a 12 volt feeder battery in a fanny pack. I had to replace the battery after 2 or 3 years.

The safety on the mini is a little loud but it most times makes them stop and look to see what the sound is.

I had the wood stock originally and i liked it, but it was showing alot of wear because i use the rifle several times a week, so i ordered one directly from ATI. ATI will make different colored stocks on request but it takes a couple of weeks to get them. They don't make colors as part of their regular production run.(I contacted customer service and found this out after it failed to ship after I ordered it)
Old November 30, 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
sholling

The most bang for the buck are a trigger job and an accu-strut. I had Brimstone do a trigger job on one of mine (not the one below) and it went from 7lbs to 3lbs.

Of course if you decide you want to go all out you can contact Great Western Gunsmithing.

I had this one accurized and modified to my design by Great Western.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:20 AM   #10
bscuderi

I like your muzzle brake thats beautiful what did it run?

Old November 30, 2012, 01:49 AM   #11
sholling

Thanks, that combination was my design. I sent him the parts and a drawing of what I wanted it to look like and he did the work. To answer your question the B package from Great Western is $350, the Shrewd varmint brake is $70 and the Brockman sight another $75. I forget what he charged me to machine the angle on the rear of the brake and mount and index the sight/brake combination but it wasn't a lot more and the new sling studs added like $10-15 three years ago. The whole setup is as accurate as my eyesight allows. He has three photos of my Mini in his gallery.

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/photos.htm

Edit: The rear sight was from accuracy systems. Honestly if money is tight I'd start with a trigger job and then add an Accu-Strut when you have the money.

Last edited by sholling; November 30, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My experience with several early-model Minis was that they were quite reliable for hitting where I wanted with the first shot or two. I've yet to read even the detractors commenting about first-shot "hittability". It's all been gripes about group size for five or more shots--which is pretty much irrelevant to hunting.

I never had any problem with hitting a coyote or jackrabbit. Bang/whop/flop.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13
sholling

Quote:
My experience with several early-model Minis was that they were quite reliable for hitting where I wanted with the first shot or two. I've yet to read even the detractors commenting about first-shot "hittability". It's all been gripes about group size for five or more shots--which is pretty much irrelevant to hunting.
I agree. The problem with shots 2-3-4-etc was usually barrel harmonics and whip. That's why the tuners cut them down to 16" and add a muzzle brake or tuning device or even cut the barrel so that it's only 16.5" with a brake pinned in place. The shorter barrel with a heavy mass at the end reportedly isn't as effected by harmonics and has less tendency to whip. At least that's how it was explained to me. GW claims 1-1.5MOA or less is doable but I can't see well enough with irons to test that. What I do know is that a trigger job does wonders for the 1st shot.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:13 AM   #14
stu925

Accu strut, trigger job and bedding the action will probably give you the most improvement in accuracy from your Mini. Some of the 580 series rifles I believe came with left over pencil barrels and the rest came with the new and improved heavier barrels, all the 581 and up rifle have the newer heavier barrel. I've also heard that a flash hider/muzzle break will help tone down the barrel harmonics a bit.

Stu
Old December 2, 2012, 11:58 AM   #15
g.willikers

First question should be is "How experienced are you as a rifleman?"
In other words, how sure are you that the inaccuracy is the fault of the gun?
It's a lot less hassle and less expensive to fix the shooter.
And it generally gets better results.
Just a thought to save a poor guy his limited dough.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:14 AM   #16
stu925

Quote:
First question should be is "How experienced are you as a rifleman?"
In other words, how sure are you that the inaccuracy is the fault of the gun?
It's a lot less hassle and less expensive to fix the shooter.
And it generally gets better results.
Just a thought to save a poor guy his limited dough.
That's a good point, I just kind of assumed he's a decent shooter. However the action bedding and accustrut can be done on the cheap if you're handy. You could also do the poor man's trigger job and polish all the engagement surfaces in the trigger group which is what I did to mine. It didn't make the trigger any lighter but it did make it a whole lot smoother and easier to shoot well. You can look at home made barrel struts at http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger...own-strut.html to get some ideas of how to do it.

Stu
Old December 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Bamashooter

My first 2 upgrades were accustrut and trigger job. Its a 580 series thin barrel profile. I think the thin barrels benefit more from the accustrut than the new thicker barrels do. If mine was a newer thicker barrel I would still put a strut on it. My mini will shoot 1.25'' groups with my handloads and good factory ammo at 100yrds. Virtually no shot stringing when the barrel heats up. Two upgrades worth the money in my opinion.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:56 PM   #18
bscuderi

Im a good shot been shooting for years but i have also been shooting wolf ammo so i might be barking up the wrong tree in multiple regard s. I think the struts look cool too so i might purchase one when i get spare money. How are the struts to install?

Old December 4, 2012, 03:06 PM   #19
sirgilligan

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of your rifle now?
Old December 4, 2012, 03:08 PM   #20
bscuderi

About 3 to 4 inch at 100
Old December 4, 2012, 03:09 PM   #21
bscuderi

That's with a hot barrel open sotes
Old December 4, 2012, 04:57 PM   #22
sirgilligan

Hmmm... 3 to 4 inches.

I too would wonder if a barrel stabilizer wouldn't help.

I may have missed it in previous posts, but you should try a few different weights and types of ammo.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:37 PM   #23
bscuderi

Ill try a couple different bullet weights and shoot it at a range in the next couple weeks sometime I may have not had the best rest. Also I put a scope on that might help as the varriences at 100 yard could easily be me with the open sites.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:10 PM   #24
sirgilligan

Good ideas.

Now, I do have to admit, those struts make them look like Mini-A1As that I do like that look. But no need to spend money unless you need to.

3" - 4" open sights at 100 yards is very good shooting. If your groups where similar in shape every time then your firearm is accurate and you just need to work on precision with maybe a scope, trigger job, etc.

Keep us posted. I only shoot my Mini 14 open sights and at silhouette targets at about 60 yards while I am free standing. Can put an entire mag in the head area of the target. It does exactly what I want it to do.

Old December 4, 2012, 07:03 PM   #25
zombieslayer

So does mine! ^
I bought a Tac model mini, and then put it in a nice walnut standard mini stock. Its better balanced and has a better feel and look than the black plastic one. I put the black plastic one one the standard mini, and gave it to my stepdad for shooting coyotes. We both like our minis. The stock was the only thing I changed. Although I am considering sending the trigger off for some work. Not necessary, but I really LOVE my little mini.