The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 6, 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
skippynh

NH Resident. Non-US Citizen

Hi everyone!

I've been living in the US since I was a mere two years old BUT I'm an Australian citizen.

My son is in Venturing and enjoying archery and target shooting so I'd like to buy my first hand gun

My problem/question is: do I need my green card? I haven't seen it in at least 5 years and getting a replacement would cost 480 bucks!

I've lived in NH for 34 years but not sure what the local police and the Fed background check will require.

Thanks everyone!
Old December 6, 2011, 06:28 PM   #2
docnyt

You'll need at least your Alien Number and proof of 90 days residency (usually utility bills) to fill out Form 4473 at a licensed dealer to pass the NICS check for a new gun.

Depending on your local dealer, you may be asked to provide the actual Green Card. It's best to call ahead.

As an aside, technically you should have a Green Card on your person at all times. Not that anybody ever does.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:31 PM   #3
docnyt

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but you should be able to buy from a private seller without going through a dealer if you're both NH residents.
Old December 6, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
skippynh

Thanks guys!

I DO have my alien A# so that's good.

Wouldn't a dealer be nervous about me asking, "You don't want to see my green card do you?" or am I being overly worrisome?

Thanks again!
Old December 9, 2011, 09:34 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

As a legal alien, there is a process for allowing you to purchase and own firearms. It is a little more complicated than the one for citizens, but it is fairly straightforward.

You will need that Alien Registration number, but probably will not need to produce your green card. You can call the ATF and ask them. You can call, or visit an FFL and ask them.

I am not sure of the ability to purchase from a private citizen. That would be a matter of state law, I believe.

As an aside, you really should look into getting that green card replacement, even though it costs. Failure to provide it in a situation where you are required by law to have it, would, I think, cost you more....
Old December 10, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
skippynh

Thanks everyone. I also found out my drivers license expires in 2012 and they now require to see your green card or you can't renew. Post 911 stuff I guess.

So, I've just forked over the $450 bucks to the government to replace my green card. ETA: 5 months.

I love the speed of government!

Thanks again.
Old December 10, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
MTT TL

BTW- Don't go to Alabama without your Green Card. They will throw you in the clink until you can produce one.
Old December 10, 2011, 11:49 AM   #8
docnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
BTW- Don't go to Alabama without your Green Card. They will throw you in the clink until you can produce one.
That's not quite true. This stupid law is still being contested here.