The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Jbotto

RCBS powder measure *Prior To Using*

Just ordered the powder measure and stand from Midway. It's covered in grease, and figured that it's in the interior of the measure as well. Any simple way to remove? All I found in the paperwork that was concluded said that I should run a pound of powder through it to create a "film." Thanks for the help guys!
Old September 29, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
mehavey

Brake cleaner and paper towels.
Then run some ball powder through it.

Old September 29, 2011, 08:03 PM   #3
F. Guffey

There are solvents and thinners, careful with degreasers for drums and shoes, for most that is the first thing they reach for, some of that stuff is not compatible with plastic parts.

Then there is hot water and soap, most grease used to coat parts is low temperature melt, after cleaning the metal will not be protected from the atmosphere and will start to rust.

F. Guffey
Old September 29, 2011, 11:04 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Don't know if yours came assembled or not. I found it was fairly easy to clean mine by disassembling it first. Unscrew the hex sided retaining bushing from the cylinder. Unscrew it and the lock ring off the adjustment stem. The numbered adjustment stem will fall out through the plastic container. On the metal parts, I used mineral spirits to clean, followed by wipe down with very lightly oiled patch for rust protection and then ran the recommended pound of powder, which I suspect serves to apply a graphite coating to the parts. Also wiped the inside of the plastic with a used dryer sheet to cut down on static which can cause powder to stick to the hopper sides.
Old September 30, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

As serf 'rett said: Be sure to disassemble it for cleaning.

There are two benefits:
1. You get a cleaner powder measure. (And prevent squib loads from contaminated powder.)
2. You get a better understanding of how it functions, and what its limitations are.
Old September 30, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Jbotto

Thanks much guys! I appreciate it a ton!
Old October 1, 2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Just ordered the powder measure and stand from Midway. It's covered in grease, and figured that it's in the interior of the measure as well. Any simple way to remove? All I found in the paperwork that was concluded said that I should run a pound of powder through it to create a "film." Thanks for the help guys!
I have 5 or so of them, and have found that the soapy hot water is about the best cleaning method, followed by the mineral spirits. When I finish up and everything has dried good, I usually take some Johnson's paste wax, and coat the interior part of the measure where the drum contacts, with several light coats, as well as the exterior of the drum and the areas of it that ride against the housing.

I live in a what is a normally humid area, and I haul a couple of them to the range for work ups, and this help keep any surface rust from forming on them and also helps lubricate it a tiny bit. As for running the pound of powder through, I used a rag and simply wiped the interior bearing areas with some moly, or you can use powdered graphite, either will do everything the pound of powder does just as well and takes a LOT less pulling on the handle.

One last thing, I have, on the brand new ones, taken a piece of 600gr emory cloth and lightly polish the internal areas of the frame along the edges to remove any burrs and also polish up the flats where the drum rides. Just helps with the break in and makes for a VERY smooth operation.
Old October 1, 2011, 05:44 AM   #8
Tim R

Like the others have said, clean the grease out and off. I would then take a dryer sheet and rub it down good on the inside of the plastic tube and as much else you can where the powder touches.

I would then run a couple of pounds of powder through it using a pretty heavy throw. That way you won't be there all day.
Old October 2, 2011, 12:14 AM   #9
engineermike

you could call rcbs customer service and see what they recommend?