The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 30, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Billvert

Help identifying Firearm

My father in law recently passed away suddenly and among his possessions were a few firearms. After his passing a number of his "friends" have been inquiring about his firearms and if he would like to sell them. No one else in the family knows anything about firearms or wants to take possession of them.

My mother in law would like to know if this rifle is worth anything or should she just give it away to one of his friends. She does not feel comfortable with it in the house as she has grandchildren running around all the time. I could not find any marking on the rifle only a serial number ,I think.

What kind of rifle is this?, I have no clue, I do know he used to hunt Elk with it in the Blue mtns. of Washington State.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Billvert; November 30, 2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Problem with picture
Old November 30, 2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Uncle Buck

You'll have to post a picture of the gun. A serial number alone won't be much help. Try looking all over the gun for any other markings, there should be some along the barrel of the rifle and possibly on the under side.
Is it a lever action, a bolt action, a pump, or a semi-automatic? A description of the gun, as accurate as possible will be needed to help you identify and possibly obtain the monetary value of the it.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Billvert

Sorry here's the picture

Sorry, I had a problem with the pictures the first time. I will try again.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:32 AM   #4
Billvert

I posted the pictures in the Test section of the forum and they worked. I guess I will have to resize them to post here the are larger than 97 kb about 250 each. in the time being they are in the test section if you want to look there. sorry for all the inconvenience.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
LHB1

What markings are on the action and/or barrel? More information is needed. From pics in Test area, the gun appears to be a sporterized Springfield action with checkered stock and Redfield fixed power scope, possibly 4X power. Is it chambered for .30-06? If in sound condition mechanically, it would be a good, practical hunting rifle. I do not keep up with prices on such guns.

Last edited by LHB1; November 30, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=386879

This is the link to the photo's.

If you can not find any more markings on the rifle, try to find the ammunition used in it. If it is still in the box, let us know what it says.
If the ammunition is loose, look at the head of the case (The round end of the brass case) and tell us what markings are on it. From that we can determine the caliber.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Billvert

I do not have the rifle with me now, it is across town. I did write down all the info I could find on it I am looking for it now... ok all I wrote down was Leopold Detacho Mark II. I thought that was just the scope mount. I guess I will have to go by and get some more info of fthe rifle for proper identification. I thought I really looked it over well and didn't see any markings except a serial # on the rifle itself.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:10 AM   #8
Billvert

My wife says it is a .30-06 and she calls it "military modified" I think she must mean it was a military weapon modified for hunting?
Old November 30, 2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Sarge

That's a 1903 Springfield sporter.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:50 AM   #10
Jim Watson

The wife is right. The illustrated rifle is a sporterized 1903 Springfield with the military stock and hardware removed. If the barrel hasn't been replaced it is caliber .30-06. It is as good a hunting rifle as most, but resale value of such things is fairly low unless the work was done by somebody famous. A few hundred bucks would be about it.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Slamfire

Probably sporterized in the 50's, as that decade seemed to have the most sporterized military rifles. I doubt it was after as the right side is drilled and tapped for a Lyman 48 rear. By the time you get into the 60's, scopes are the norm.

You ought to find the serial number and determine if it is single heat treat receiver, or a high number.

If it is a single heat treat, the value of the rifle is in the parts value range.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Billvert

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will get the serial number the next time I visit the MIL (probably this week) and post it. I will also check for ammo but the wife is pretty sure it is a .30-06.