The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 24, 2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Micahweeks

Revolvers, AWBs, and variations thereof

I was just wondering something. The assault weapons ban really only applied to autos, rifles, and shotguns. Has there ever been any language of any legal document, other than an all out ban, trying to restrict the use or purchase of a revolver as a carry weapon? I mean, the most poweful handgun rounds are revolver rounds (.500 Mag!!! Woohoo!), so why haven't any of these AWB bills ever considered the sheer power of the common wheelgun? What are there priorities, really?
Old June 24, 2009, 04:58 AM   #2
SteelJM1

Because they haven't gotten to them yet. For most non gun owning people, revolvers either died in aobut 1880, or since they only hold 6 shots, they are much less deadly than semi autos.

Despite that, if they were to successfully ban semi auto handgun/rifle/shotguns, believe you me that the revolvers would not be far behind. Britian and Australia being perfect examples, once they passed their ban, their citizens were pretty much relegated to break action shotguns for hunting and sport ONLY. Anything above and beyond that is an insane hassle to get, and there's no guarantees on those.

And don't even think about pistols. :barf:
Old June 24, 2009, 06:03 AM   #3
BlueTrain

On top of everything else in the U.K., there is an outcry against "blood sports," which includes fox hunting with hounds. All of the traditional country types are on the defensive at the moment. That is, of those who haven't already moved to Northern Virginia.

Now, regarding revolvers, a double action revolver can easily be defined as an automatic firearm since all you have to do is pull the trigger. All laws can be written so they cannot be obeyed.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 24, 2009, 07:22 AM   #4
buzz_knox

The "cop killing bullet" ban the Dems tried to push through in 2004 (?) was so sweeping that it would have banned ammunition used by many revolvers.
Old June 24, 2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

There are several bans proposed in the past that would have banned at least some revolvers. Initially, anti-gun groups tried to ban the .500 S&W Mag on principal alone; but got no traction.

Apparently, expensive 3lb revolvers that are the size of a small carbine and fire a massive cartridge with a lot of recoil are not popular with the criminal set.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:14 AM   #6
jfrey123

I'd be worried that any new ban simply lists "pistols" and takes them all away in one fell swoop.

Although it'd be challenged by the NRA as a violation of the Heller Decision and intimately our Second Amendment of these United States.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
Apparently, expensive 3lb revolvers that are the size of a small carbine and fire a massive cartridge with a lot of recoil are not popular with the criminal set.
I have this mental image of one of these stuck out a car window sideways and fired..........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 24, 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
CowTowner

Quote:
I have this mental image of one of these stuck out a car window sideways and fired..........
I get the same one. Only the shooter forgot to stick the entire gun out the window. The cylinder was in the car when he pulled the trigger.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 24, 2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I get the same one. Only the shooter forgot to stick the entire gun out the window. The cylinder was in the car when he pulled the trigger"

WHAT? CAN YOU SPEAK UP? I'M HAVING A LITTLE TROUBLE HEARING YOU RIGHT NOW!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:49 AM   #10
vranasaurus

Does California's .50 caliber ban affect the .500 S&W?
Old June 24, 2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

...with the other hand under the cylinder to support the gun... owwee.

This here's a 500 Smith and Wesson magnum. Blow the shooters own hand clean off!
Old June 24, 2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Is that a rule of thumb?

Personally, I think the SW tac revolver like I saw in the American Rifleman this month is a gun no law abiding citizen would want to have.

Better call Chuck and Diane. Keeping them out of NY and CA will make those places safe.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:44 AM   #13
rantingredneck

Quote:
...with the other hand under the cylinder to support the gun... owwee.
That's the kind of mistake you only make once.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old June 24, 2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's the kind of mistake you only make once.........
Indeed! I should think that the second time would be using the remaining stump to support the gun!:barf:
Old June 24, 2009, 11:15 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

actually, yes, there is....it just hasn't been pushed...yet

Quote:
Has there ever been any language of any legal document, other than an all out ban, trying to restrict the use or purchase of a revolver
The language of the AWB (and possibly other laws, particularly state laws that did not sunset) includes the classification of the Striker 12 (Stryker?) and "Street Sweeper" shotguns as assault weapons, and therefore restricted. The language of the law includes the phrase "...substantially similar to" when referring to action types.

The Street Sweeper shotgun looks like it is drum magazine fed, but it is not. The "drum" is a cylinder, and it fuctions "substantially similar to" a DA revolver!

They have not chosen to make an issue of this...yet, but the language is there. Yes it is splitting hairs, and makes no sense, but then, that's what gun control laws are often all about.