The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 13, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Harry Callahan

? for owners of Browning BAR Safari in .30-'06

All,
I am very interested in buying one of these. It is a beautiful rifle. What is everyone's experience with this model? Pros and Cons, please. I already have a Remington 700 LTR in .308 but want a semi-auto in .30-'06 with a deep walnut gloss finish. This one seemed to jump out at me but I want to do some research before I spend that kind of money.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old June 13, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Scorch

I had a BAR, but not in 30-06. Mine was in 7mm Rem Mag. It was a beautiful rifle, a bit heavy but well balanced, absolutley reliable with any ammo I put through it. Accuracy was about 1-1/4" at 100 yds. The stock finish was durable, and I had no gouges in the stock. Things that would have dug in deep in the stock in other rifles just made a groove in the finish, did not get to the wood itself. All in all, a thumbs up for the BAR.
Old June 13, 2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Gewehr98

Mine's not a Safari.

This is a Belgian BAR, made in 1969, one of the guns completely made there vs. Belgian parts and Portuguese assembly. It's chambered in .30-06, and wears light French Walnut.

It shoots quite nicely, but has a tight chamber, forcing me to use small base .30-06 sizing dies. Factory ammo works well, but I'm a cheapskate and accuracy freak. (What hardcore handloader isn't?) Accuracy is on par with a nice sporter-weight Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 boltgun, but get the barrel too warm too soon and groups will open up. The magazine holds 4 rounds, which for my deer-hunting purposes is just fine. The gas system on the BAR is patterned after the White system in the M14 rifle, so it's pretty much self-regulating, and I have no problem running the gamut from 142gr to 180gr ammo. To keep things in the proper 1969 motif, I recently installed that Weaver VX-9 Auto-Comp rangefinding scope. It makes a nice companion to the rifle without dominating it like some of the big 44-50mm objective scopes these days.

Neural Misfires
Old June 13, 2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Harry Callahan

Gewehr 98, that's a pretty one! I like the wood a little darker, though. Overall, a very nice set up indeed.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old June 14, 2007, 08:15 AM   #5
piercfh

We have one in .308, and have killed alot of deer with it. They are excellent rifles to hunt with, but dont expect great accuratcy. I have seen a brand new one shoot about a pie plate group @ 100yds off sand bags. Ours shoot some loads absolutly terribly, and does good with others. So you may have to experiment to get the thing to shoot.

If I was going to buy one I would probably get one used. I dont like the stocks on the newer ones as much as I do the old. Just make sure the one you get isnt shot out I guess.

good luck
Old June 14, 2007, 04:30 PM   #6
cheygriz

I have a Safari Mkll in .338 WinMag, and it shoots one MOA, and kicks like a .308.