The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Amyls

Can you help identify this gun?

Hi, I really don't know anything about guns but my grandfather gave me this gun and he got it years ago. He said it is a 12 gauge single shot. It is in fair condition, shootable and I would like to know it's worth. It is from the Forehand Arms Company and it's number it 50557. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks
Amy
You can see more pictures here:
http://www.geocities.com/tink1008/garysgun.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010105.JPG (98.1 KB, 77 views)
Old June 27, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2
sdkidaho

Here is a pictures of the Forehand Factory, or a drawing of it, rather. This place, the Track of the Wolf, might be able to shed some light on it better than anyone here, as they actually have some of guns manufactured by the same company for sale on their website. You might try contacting them with the information to see if they can help you out any better.

Quote:
Harley Nolden wrote in another thread:
My records indicate that the Forehand & Wadsworth, of Worcester, Mass, (he original name of the Company,) was established in 1871, and operated under that name until 1890 when it became the Forehand Arms Company. Hopkins & Allen purchased the Company in 1902.
You might also try this site as they answer some questions about guns for free.

Good luck in your search.
Old June 28, 2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not worth much, but it's a family gun and well worth keeping.

As for "shootable", it's a century old and cheaply made. Have a good smith go over it before trying the first load. And make that load a very light 2 3/4" one.

Soft steel barrels and an iron frame mean this could be a grenade if you load up too much load.

OTOH, old singles like this can be loads of fun for casual shooting and small game. If the smith OKs it, try it on squirrels and rabbits next season with an oz of 6s.