The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2002, 10:46 PM   #26
skipjack

Red, I didn't have enough rounds to do as extensive testing as I would like...those little buggers cost $10.99/5 rounds and I hesitated to buy more than one box until I saw how the first box shot. The first two rounds were shot at a 25 yard target, and they were touching each other. The third round went into the center of the 100 yard sight in target and rounds four and five were both in the kill zone on 100 yard deer silhouette targets; shot from a seated position. I plan to buy a few boxes and will report back after I get a chance to shoot those. We still have a two day season for antlerless deer in January and I am enthused with what I saw today.
Regards,
Mike
Old December 20, 2002, 07:04 AM   #27
illuminatus99

I like shooting slugs better than buckshot or even birdshot, I just keep it tight into my shoulder and roll with the recoil, I just let it rock me back. so basically you want your upper body rigid and your lower body fairly relaxed. I'm only 120 pounds (and yes, I do eat) and have never had a bruise on my shoulder from firing slugs, my mosin nagant OTOH........ouch
Old December 20, 2002, 10:28 AM   #28
SDC

When I shoot my 870 with slugs, I just make sure to keep the stock pulled in tight against my shoulder; if there's even a LITLE bit of space in there for the gun to "bounce" against you, you're really going to feel it. One popular trick is to also fill all of the hollow space in your stock with as much lead shot as you can squeeze in there; if the gun weighs more, there's less recoil transferred to YOU.
Old December 20, 2002, 06:55 PM   #29
Mannlicher

I dont recall ever feeling recoil when shooting at game. I do admit to not really liking recoil when sighting in, off the bench rest with the slugs.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 23, 2002, 12:16 PM   #30
CMichael

Last week I used 3" magnum 1750 fps slugs. I bruised my cheek doing it. It felt like it nearly took my shoulder off.

Michael
Old May 22, 2004, 05:55 PM   #31
RL1

Hello TFL and welcome back!

Just to put things in perspective, here are a couple of videos of me shooting my Fabarm SDASS Pro Forces (14" barrel) for the first time a few weeks ago...it was my first time shooting something other than .22! (just got my licence a couple of months ago)..keep in mind I am 6' and (ahem) 300+ pounds

Shooting low recoil Winchester Ranger "tactical" 00

http://www.fototime.com/9B8706E3FCD819F/conv.wmv

Shooting a slug

http://www.fototime.com/50539926BEFAA81/conv.wmv

RL
Old May 24, 2004, 08:43 PM   #32
Dead

You should try those heavy 10ga slugs

1 3/4 oz slug out of a 10ga 3 1/2" shell... OUCH!!

I enjoy shooting the 1 1/4oz 12ga 2 3/4 slugs, but those 10ga ones forget it, at most I will shoot 2 in a day. Maybe if I did not have a very light 10ga it wouldnt be so bad