The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2016, 10:24 AM   #1
Wendyj

Lee Classic cast with Breechlock bushings

I can't find one of these to look at so I ordered it to replace a Lee Anniversary press I bought last year when I started reloading. The little Aniiversary press has served me well with 357-308-7-08-7 mm mag -243-260 and has held up well enough. Now with 300 win mag and 338 Rem ultra mag it is sizing ok but am having to stick bullet up inside die and pinch a lot of fingers on the big bullets when seating. Does anyone own the Breechlock Classic cast that can tell me pros and cons. I went Breechlock because all my dies are set up in them. Some take a little resetting depending if I switch brass or not. I also read that Hornady lock and load bushings will fit in this press verses Lee bushings and Hornady is available in a lot of stores where Lee I have to get from Midway. Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 16, 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Wyosmith

I just got one for a friend from Graf and Sons.
They have them in stock.
Old April 16, 2016, 10:55 AM   #3
A pause for the COZ

Cant help you with the Breech lock thing. I quit using them when I noted that there was give in them and depending on what brass I was resizing that amount would change from load to load.
Most times its not an issue, but if your trying hang on the edge and only push the shoulder back as far as you absolutely have too. Factoring extra movement limit's how repeatable you can be.

Now as far as my opinion of the Classic cast press in general.
I love mine it is the A#1 press you can buy. Your not going to find the features/ Ability/price in any other press.
Old April 16, 2016, 12:06 PM   #4
Wendyj

My old anniversary has a little slack where the realease pin for bushings is now. It didn't start until I started the 300 win mag with it. With the Hornady headspace guage if I'm doing the same brass it seems to keep everything set back .002 which is what my bolts like. I had thought about the standard classic cast but have about 40 or 50 bushings I hated to give up on. Hard to tell on a you tube video but guy loading seems to have ample finger room to set bullets on the 338 Lapua and mine are shorter than those. I've considered buying the mounting bracket to raise the press some. Even though I'm shorter than most I am looking under it a lot. I sure hope I'm not disappointed since Midway has it sent out already. I went to Acadamy and picked up some bullets and primers and saw there Hornady breech lock bushings. I don't know how they would fit in the Lee presses without the notch that Lee has in theirs.
Old April 16, 2016, 12:37 PM   #5
A pause for the COZ

I think for 99% of every thing you would do. The breech locks would be a plus.
For the once in a while situation. You could use two lock nuts.
The 1st to secure to the die to the Breech Lock. Get a washer of the proper size.
Put that on the die and a second nut.Set two shims front and back of the die assembly and tighten the washer down onto them.
That would pull up on the Breech lock assembly, taking up any slack.

Here is a quick drawing of what I mean. ( this should be funny)

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; April 16, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old April 16, 2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

It's a good press. If you use a Lyman M Die to put a small step in each case mouth, your fingers won't have to follow the bullet up, but you will need to set the crimp shoulder to remove the expanded part.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2016, 06:01 PM   #7
mdemetz

Quote:
I also read that Hornady lock and load bushings will fit in this press verses Lee bushings and Hornady is available in a lot of stores where Lee I have to get from Midway.
I was told they are not compatible.
Old April 16, 2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Wendyj

From looking at them in the store today I see no way.
Old April 17, 2016, 08:35 AM   #9
jersurf101

I have the Lee breech lock press. It works very well. Easy to change dies in and out and I really have no complaints. The only thing I can d ay negative is when pushed on by the ram from below there is three to four thou of play in the breech locking nut. I have loaded around 3500 rounds in 2 and a half years on this press, .308. 30-06, .270, 300 wsm, .40 sweet, and .357 mag/.38 special. Hope this helps
Old April 20, 2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Wendyj

It finally got here today and after setting it up its a heck of a press compared to the anniversary model. I left both set up so I could do hand gun on the smaller one. Good solid steel. Loaded my first batch of 223 on it just to try it out. Had already de primed the brass and set shoulders back .004. Fired and cycled about 3-4 through the AR no problem. Did get a 5.56 case hung in the die and took forever to use a tubing cutter to cut it off to get off Decapping sizing rod. Is it just me or can Hornady not make any 2 bullets the same length. Measuring before starting they vary from 2-4 thousandths. Other than that I really like it. Loaded a few 300 win mags and the press doesn't feel like it's straining at all.
Old April 20, 2016, 06:22 PM   #11
alexcue

WendyJ, someone may come along with more expertise than me, but for .223/5.56 through an AR, you should always full length resize. I was always taught that and have never had a problem.

If it were a Bolt-Action then neck sizing would be appropriate for that particular rifle. Just my 2 cents... that's what it's worth anyway
Old April 20, 2016, 06:33 PM   #12
Wendyj

I am full length sizing. I didn't get the collet die because an ar is all I have in 223/5.56. Only neck sizing I do is 300 wsm and 308. Everything else I full length size. I don't think I can save any money on 5.56 but it's relaxing to reload so I try to wind up the day alone in the reloading room. I deprime everything because I clean with ss pins. I finally found out what a military crimp is in PMC brass I had shot. Got to buy a swagger now. I done the first 50 with a deburring tool.
Old April 21, 2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Wendyj

Picked up a primer pocket reamer today. Now to get my hands on a bunch of range brass. Made all the difference in the world. Bought a Burris scope mount and don't have the scope I want yet but put a zeiss Terra on it to try and develop some good loads. That I can see farther than a red dot or open sights anyway.
Old April 23, 2016, 12:27 PM   #14
A pause for the COZ

Couple things you may want to consider getting for 5.56 brass.
Esp if your buying bulk military brass. Allot of that military brass was shot out of a Saw. They dont have a fully supported chamber and they also beat the crud out of the brass.

Two tools have help to insure I have trouble free feeding of my AR's

#1 RCBS small base sizing die.

#2 Lyman case head space gauge.

The Lyman Gauge being the most important. Gauge every piece of Brass after you resize it. If it does not fit the Gauge. Throw it in a bucket.
The Saw literally beats the case heads fatter than the bolt on the AR.
Using the gauge removes these cases from the mix and insures 100% reliable feeding.