The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
rc1988

Just purchased my first Sig Sauer!

Hey guys. Ever since I have been involved with firearms, I have always been intrigued by Sig Sauer, sadly after all of this time of owning glocks, S&W's, Hk's, etc...Ive still never owned a sig.....I live about 20 minutes from the Cabelas in hamburg PA, and i frequently will look at their gun libarary to see what they have in stock. I than came acoss this Sig P226...http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sig-S...tt=sig+hamburg

So this morning before work, I decided to take a quick ride up there to take a look. Upon holding it everything seemed to be in excellent condition, the metal was perfect, I than checked out the rails and they looked shiny black with oil on them.... The sales rep than proceeded to tell me that he believes it was a refurbished model sent from sig, which makes me feel a little bit better considering this is my first used firearm..... My only question is the barrel, the barrel does show some outside wear marks, but from my knowledge and expierience, i have seen brand new sigs with marks on their barrels, so im guessing it's not something i should worry about. Thanks guys, I pick her up on Monday and ill let you know how she shoots!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sig1.jpg (68.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg sig2.jpg (72.8 KB, 208 views)
Old February 23, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Microgunner

The smile on the top of the barrel is normal wear and develops rather quickly.

It is not a cause for concern.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3
SHE3PDOG

I wouldn't worry about it, my wife's Sig P229 had blotches of silverish gray on it when she bought it brand new. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over time and it certainly hasn't affected its reliability or accuracy.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 23, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Single Six

Worry instead about the trigger return spring snapping in half, which leaves you with a non-firing gun until it's replaced. It's happened to me twice with the P220 my agency issues me, and also recently happened to another officer here. When we finally do get rid of them, I won't take them up on their offer to buy it. Lots of Sig apologists have told me "That's never happened to me with any of my Sigs", to which I say, wonderful. I'm glad you've not had it happen. But I'll also say that just because your favorite brand of handgun has never failed you, that doesn't mean that everyone can say the same. So: Congrats, and happy shooting. Hopefully your experience won't turn out like mine did.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
pilot141

I bought a New in Box P226 .40 a few months ago. It developed the smiling on the barrel after my third trip to the range I think. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy your new gun - they shoot nice!
Old February 24, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

SIGs...

Is the .40 pistol NIB? New in box?
It may be a CPO(certified pre owned). SIG Sauer takes used firearms, reconditions them then sells them as CPO. It should be okay.
To replace the barrel magazines, springs & maybe the sights are all that would be required with a SIG P226 series(if the pistol even needs it). I like the R or 1913 rail format for white lights/laser systems.

Bruce Gray of Gray Guns is widely known for top level custom SIG work.

ClydeFrog
Old February 25, 2013, 05:07 AM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
Worry instead about the trigger return spring snapping in half, which leaves you with a non-firing gun until it's replaced..
Yup, my 220 did this as well. Go ahead and get a couple to keep as spares and make sure you install it in the correct hole. It doesn't go where you think it does.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:13 AM   #8
thedudeabides

Quote:
Worry instead about the trigger return spring snapping in half, which leaves you with a non-firing gun until it's replaced.
...aand my P220.

The damn thing is so thin and fragile. Kinda odd why they'd put something like that on a "combat pistol."
Old February 25, 2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Double Impact

To the OP congrats on the sig I have several great guns.

And as for the posters that have had trouble with the trigger springs breaking were they installed wrong or something?
I had a friend with the problem and it was caused by after market grips being installed incorrectly.

I have four sigs all p220's and have thousands of rds thru them all and and have never had a problem. Two of them I have changed the trigger springs simply because of rd count suggested it was time.

BTW to the OP sigs are great dependable guns things can break on any gun but learn to take care of it and a sig will take care of you!

Last edited by Double Impact; February 25, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:12 AM   #10

Or, just buy a 4506/4566 and don't worry about it.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
NJgunowner

I'm not sure why people are in here telling you about their p220's. Maybe if that's what you bought I'd understand it. It's like saying because Jimbob's civic had a bad belt that they must all be bad in the Accord's too.

My P226 is the one handgun I won't sell or trade, it ALWAYS works with everything I put in it and is very accurate.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
BillyJack3

Looks to be in really nice shape! I got my P226 as a certified used Sig about 9 years ago. It's been flawless. Recently sent it to Sig for the service plan where they replaced all the springs and added night sights (which are the main reason I sent it in). Now it's even more accurate than it was before. It was made in 97 and is an outstanding pistol.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:09 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Worry instead about the trigger return spring snapping in half, which leaves you with a non-firing gun until it's replaced. It's happened to me twice with the P220 my agency issues me, and also recently happened to another officer here. When we finally do get rid of them, I won't take them up on their offer to buy it. Lots of Sig apologists have told me "That's never happened to me with any of my Sigs", to which I say, wonderful. I'm glad you've not had it happen. But I'll also say that just because your favorite brand of handgun has never failed you, that doesn't mean that everyone can say the same. So: Congrats, and happy shooting. Hopefully your experience won't turn out like mine did.
Dude, you've become a broken record on this. Guy gets a new SIG, is happy about it, and your first words to him are bashing SIGs? Get over it already. How many threads is this now? Name your favorite brand and I bet I've had an issue with it. But you don't see me bashing those brands at every chance.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 25, 2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Robk

Congratulations on the P226. Really a fine weapon. Do not let anyone tell you different. Stories of the P220 are true, but have been corrected long ago and only appeared in a limited number of P220s. As for the P226, never any issues from a properly maintained one. One of the best pistols they ever made.

As for the smilies, normal wear indictor. They will get longer the more you shoot. Yours would apper to have be a low round count pistol. Seen much longer smilies with no issues at all. I and others do put a drop of oil on the tip of the barrel and work it around the barrel where it would make contact. Won't keep away the smiles, but does lubricate the metal against metal area.

Good luck and enojoy your P226. You may become hooked on Sigs from this day forward. Just a warning, lol.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Double Impact

TO NJgunowner: I need to respond the reason I talked to the OP about my p220's is simple the p226 is modeled from the p220 so it makes perfect sense. Just like I got greif because I said the sig is originally a swiss gun not german.

Have a nice day

BTW I have put many many rds down range with the p226 versions and they are very efficient,Reliable and accurate. To the OP it is an excellent choice in a firearm shoot it you will love it.

Tunnelrat I agree!

Last edited by Double Impact; February 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Single Six

Tunnel Rat: You might have noticed that I did tell him congratulations and happy shooting. I also said that I hoped his experience didn't mirror my own, so I wasn't trying to be rude to the OP or anything like that. If I sound, as you said, like "a broken record", it's because I always hear how wonderful the Sigs are, and I feel it's important to let folks know that it's not always the case. I will also readily agree with you that anyone and everyone's favorite brand of gun has failed somebody, somewhere. Anything man-made can and will do so. As for what I said, and will continue to say, about Sigs, I'm just voicing my opinion, as we all do on here. If you don't like my opinions, no one is forcing you to read them.

Last edited by Single Six; February 25, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Single Six

NJgunowner: I only brought up my issued P220 because the P226 has the same aforementioned part in it.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Noreaster

I wouldn't worry at all. Our first issued Sig P226s (late 80s early 90s) had milled slides and the guns were very loose and showed allot of aging when we turned them in, the guns rattled! The new P229s in 357 sig were blackened stainless and did not loosen up at all. I had the same marks you are showing, (good place to put a drop of oil when your cleaning or before you go to the range.) I fired well over 10,000 duty rounds and the gun was still tight when I turned it in. The only maintenance, other then cleaning, was sending it back to Sig for refurbish job for $60.00, (preventative maintenance only, no problems and they just replace the springs.) We ran our Sigs wet so there was always oil coming out of them.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:09 AM   #19
SmokinSigs357

CPO's...from SIG...come in a red box. The serial # (UU604...) puts it at about 2005 to 2007 (year should be on box.)

Cabela's (at least the one by my house) just took in LOADS of P226 in .40 recently and they've been marked @ $699 but selling them for way less. They aren't in red CPO boxes. They are, more than likely, police trade ins, all in the regular issued black box.

Nice guns. You should enjoy it. And, if your Cabelas is anything like my Cabelas, there is plenty of .40 ammo in stock (for some reason.)
Old February 27, 2013, 08:32 AM   #20
BGutzman

Congratulations! Welcome to the addiction!
Old February 27, 2013, 05:28 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:

Dude, you've become a broken record on this.
I have to agree-it is getting oh so predictable and, frankly, a wee bit tiresome. I'd hate to have to count the times Single Six has pitched his discontent for the SIG Model 220 pistol. We get it. Your trigger return springs broke a couple of times and your friend's did once. And you'll never buy a Model 220 but hope the new poster has better luck with his. Got it.

Quote:
As for what I said, and will continue to say, about Sigs, I'm just voicing my opinion, as we all do on here. If you don't like my opinions, no one is forcing you to read them.
Quite true. Likewise, I hope you understand that, even though we (certainly I) respect your opinions, there comes a time when the same thing said over and over and over again begins to lose its meaning and starts to become nothing more than a numbing, drum-beat vendetta. Just because you can't beat a dead horse to death, doesn't mean it's going to holler "ouch" every time you whip it.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:27 PM   #22
Single Six

dgludwig: I will readily agree that I have posted my strong opinions on the Sig many times. I posted it here because the OP is a fairly new member and I figured that while most of the long time regulars had heard what I had to say, he [or she] had not. I wouldn't classify what I think about Sig as a "vendetta"; I merely had a very bad experience with the brand, and I wish to share that with as many people as possible so that prospective buyers know that the aforementioned potential problem exists. Nonetheless, I thank you for the input, and most of all for disagreeing without being disagreeable....you have a way of being simultaneously firm as well as civil.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:46 PM   #23
dgludwig

Single Six: I'm glad you took my comments in the spirit it was intended. I've read many of your posts and, though always not agreeing with them, obviously, I've always found them to be intellgent, interesting and often helpful. I hope you continue to contribute to the forum in the helpful ways you have in the past.

And just so you know from "the other side", my SIG 220 pistol, nor those of a couple of shooting buddies, after having fired many hundreds/thousands of rounds through them, have never had one of those "pesky" trigger return springs break. At least, not yet...
Old March 1, 2013, 09:44 PM   #24
Hitthespot

I bought my sig new and the top of the barrel looked like it already had a 100 rounds through it. Normal for Sigs.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #25
bigredfish

Congrats on your first Sig. I have a few and with many thousands of rounds through classic Sig P series, I doubt you'll have any troubles.

As mentioned, the barrel smilies are standard.

Take good advice and use grease on the rails, TW-25B or better, Slide Glide. Sigs like to run wet, oil isn't really enough for the slide.