The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
G29Gunny

diy jug choke?

I have an ultra low cost single shot 12ga wits no choke whatsoever. I've read about jug choking a shotgun, and I'm interested in trying it in my little single shot. has anyone cut their own jug choke? I was wondering if it would work to dress the stones of a mastercylinder hone in the shape of the choke, hone it out, then polish as a affordable coke for a cheap shotgun?
Old March 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings G29Gunny, and welcome aboard.
I've successfully used an auto brake hone to open screw-in choke tubes, it should work as well for a home jug job. Before you do anything, you might want to save a "before" pattern test so you can make a comparison when you're done. As you said, it's a cheap shotgun -- at worst it will wind up as a shorter barreled cheap shot gun. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3
RoscoeC

Sounds like a lengthy process. I would turn out the barrel with a boring bar and follow up with the hone. I haven't done it yet, but it is something that has intrigued me since it was discussed at some length during a defensive shotgun course I took a few years ago. If you do it, I would be very interested in your technique and also the results on a pattern board before and after.
NRA Life Member
Old March 22, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When I had the barrels shortened on an old family SxS, a Ranger (Stevens 311), the smith "jugged" both barrels and did the forcing cones too.

But he used about $50K worth of lathe and mill, not a brake cylinder hone.

Concentricity is crucial in POA/POI. I'd be loathe to do this without A, that lathe and mill and B, some experience.