The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
duelist1954

Video - Using Lee's new steel bench block

If you saw my video, "Reloading in a Small Space", you know I use a Lee Precision Bench Plate on the "Harry Potter" bench to maximize my use of that small space.

I love that system, but with the original wooden bench blocks, they have a tendency to walk out of the clamps under heavy use. This isn't a real problem, you just reset them and tighten the screws, but it is annoying enough that I made my own homemade fix.

Well now Lee has done what I hoped they'd do. They've made steel bench blocks with a raised stop that keeps them from walking out of the clamps.

This video shows how they work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPCiZWuflCo

and, if you haven't seen it, here is the original video showing the Harry Potter bench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHHUDc7_Oc
Old October 1, 2011, 05:57 PM   #2
snuffy

Mike, that's good news about their upgrade.

I bought one of the plates about 6 months back, I've been using it with my classic turret and classic cast press. The first time I used it, I nearly had the turret land on the floor! I was able to keep my grip on the handle so it didn't drop.

I called lee, got some g-moak that couldn't believe I was having such trouble. He had me measure the plywood block with my calipers, said he would get back to me with an answer. never heard from him again!

I solved the problem with a couple Emory boards, ya know for filing finger nails? Put them under the wood to help grip the board and the steel base, and make it thicker.

I'll give them another call next week saying that I should get that new piece for nuthin, since the old wood pieces were apparently not working for anybody.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?