The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
gotguns?

reloading for single shot

I just ordered a new NEF Survivor single shot rifle in bull barrel .308.
I was wondering if I need to crimp since there are no rounds in magazines and I load the rounds by hand?
And going along with that would I have to trim as often or at all if Im not crimping?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old February 15, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

No you will not need to crimp. As for the trimming it depends on how you load, heavy loads and you will need to trim. Lighter loadings not so, as the action won't strech the brass as much.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Sevens

Single shots are the best thing to load for... never any concerns about feeding or loading a round out too far to fit in a magazine. But the best part is that you can spend a little more and get a Lee Collet neck-only sizing die.

With this die, you will need to full-length re-size any old brass, but if the brass has already been fired in your single shot rifle, you don't need to full length size it the next time (or bunch of times) that you load it. With the collet neck-only size die, you don't need any case lube, you don't need the massive force on your press and you don't work the full length of the brass. All you are doing is popping out the primer and squeezing the case neck down to hold a bullet.

The brass lasts a lot longer and the sizing process is much easier and much quicker.

Neck-only sizing doesn't work well for rifles other than bolt-action and single shot. Semi-auto, pump and lever action rifles don't always work with neck-only sized reloads.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
gotguns?

That die is sweet, thats what im going to get that makes me even happier about getting a single shot. I would like more opinions on crimping and how to seat the bullet off the lands.
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by gotguns?; February 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 15, 2009, 05:41 PM   #5
LHB1

The nice thing about reloading for single shot guns is that you can seat the bullet where you want it in relation to the rifling without worrying about rounds not fitting into magazine or bullets getting deformed in magazine. I used a pair of Ruger No. 1 rifles for many years.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:34 PM   #6
10 Spot Terminator

For good reference data on bullet crimp you need look no farther than any of Lee's last 2 loading manuals. They build the factory crimp dies and discuss the in and outs of crimping in detail that is easy to understand . For the most part crimping does the following ,,,

Prevents bullet creep and potential feeding problems in magazine fed rifles due to recoil ,,,

Insures a more uniform start pressure ( point where the pressure from powder ignition causes the bullet to break free from the case and start to move ) which can be easily duplicated in a single shot by seating the bullets to touch the rifles lands ,,,

Tends to often ( not always ) tighten up the extreme spreads in velocity as each round is more uniform in the start pressure listed above ....

If you havent guessed I am a fan of crimping in most situations but not in the single shot rifle . The reason I say this is because you can gain an edge by seating to the lands and have a single start pressure vs. a start / pause / restart scenario from the bullet starting to move then it meets the rifling and ever so slightly gets slowed and then in essence starts again . Benchrest shooters understand this and it can be incorporated into your hunting rounds in a single shot and in some low recoil bolt guns as well .

Bullets that are notorius for low pressures such as moly coated ones or the Barnes TSX ring and groove style bullets will benefit greatly from crimping. A chronograph will tell the story in detail if used in your testing.

As for the statement about not always tightening up the extreme velocity spreads by crimping is due to the fact certain powders when at their upper load limits tend to get a bit erratic and pressures will jump. Crimping will at times tend to accentuate this but in fact tells me if I havent got the accuracy by this time I need to change something up starting with a different primer and reducing my loads and working up again followed by a different powder if that doesnt pan out . Dont take anything we tell you as gospel, get Lee's book and read it. The folks that have put these books together have fired more rounds under tighter controlled testing parameters than most ( if not all ) of us who count ourselves as savvy reloaders .
Old February 19, 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Crimping

I have three Ruger No 1's single shots. I dont crimp for any of them. You dont need to if your hand feeding one at a time. I think that is one of the benifits of a single shot. Have fun!
Old February 19, 2009, 06:11 PM   #8
crowbeaner

One thing I like about single shot rifles is the ability to index your rounds in the chamber to decrease the circle of impact on the target. This is seldom mentioned in reloading forums. Just put the RP or FC or whatever you use as a datum marker at the top of the chamber (12 o'clock) to keep the shots in the smallest circle. How your shots impact the target is a good indicator of just how accurate your ammo and rifle combo really is. CB.