The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2008, 12:11 AM   #1
countryboywithgun

6 nipples or 5?

Just wondering if i could leave one nipple out of my 51 and 58 clones? I was just thinking this would be an easy way to know which to fill and which to keep the hammer down on even though i would never put a cap on that one why have a nipple either??
Old December 21, 2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

"no"

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 21, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Fingers McGee

Sure, nothing says you can't. I never did understand why you would want to leave the nipple out, or paint one red, or some such to identify one chamber that would never be used, though. Seems like a waste of effort to me. Load five and keep the empty under the hammer has always worked for me. That way all the chambers get used about the same.

YMMV
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 21, 2008, 01:05 AM   #4
kirpi97

No! It is just odd. If God wanted man to use one less nipple, He would have... Never mind.

Every piece of literature and person I have talked to advises against it. But why listen to a half wit, I am sure others will come on and say, "That's a great idea. I have been doing it for years."

But man has been shooting himself in the foot for years. It just ain't right. Why I am not sure. Other than it may be that without the nipple it is like dry firing. And the stress isn't good for the hammer.

I am sure we will get some engineer to unfold the reason, if we are patient.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Hawg

No, not unless you eventually want a broken hammer from the arch slamming against the frame when you forget how many shots you've fired.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:16 AM   #6
mykeal

I've never heard of anyone actually breaking a hammer as a result of striking the frame, but I suppose it's possible. Probably a rare event because so few people leave the nipples out of the cylinder.

Get a piece of small diameter rubber hose - aquarium air line is a good choice - cut off a short piece and place it over the nipple. It should be long enough to extend past the tip of the nipple cone but short enough not to interfere with the cylinder rotation.

The rubber tube will protect the nipple from the hammer strike, remind you not to load that chamber, and serve as an indicator as to which chamber is empty.

And you won't break the hammer.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:03 AM   #7
drdirk

Ok, so I guess I am the guy who will come forward and say "done it for years".

Basically for the reason you state, easily identifies the empty chamber. Never had a problem with a hammer breaking, although most of the time I stop after 5 shots. I do rotate the chambers and the empty one will be used next time out shooting.

Go ahead, live with one less nipple and enjoy the little simplifications that come with it
Old December 21, 2008, 08:37 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

If I'm target shooting I load all six. If I'm holster carrying I load five and hammer down on what ever cylinder is skipped.

Quote:
No, not unless you eventually want a broken hammer from the arch slamming against the frame when you forget how many shots you've fired.
I have wondered about this. On my open top Colts I have .002-.003 clearance between the hammer and nipple when the hammer is down. The hammer hits the frame before hitting the nipple. I have read that this is a desirable condition. On my Pietta Remington new model army the hammer hits the nipples. Out of the box, the nipples had a slight angle to the face of the nipple. Because the nipples are at a slight angle in the cylinder I'm assuming that this angle is caused by hammer impact. It also seems there is one or two nipples higher than the rest.

I looked at my other remingtons and only the Pietta has hammer contact with the nipples. The easy fix would be to face the hammer, but how thick is the case hardening on the hammer?? that would not address the one or two nipples that are higher than the rest. Spot facing the nipple mounting holes looks like the best solution. Has anyone done this in the past?
Old December 21, 2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
If I'm target shooting I load all six. If I'm holster carrying I load five and hammer down on what ever cylinder is skipped.
Quote:
I have wondered about this. On my open top Colts I have .002-.003 clearance between the hammer and nipple when the hammer is down. The hammer hits the frame before hitting the nipple. I have read that this is a desirable condition. On my Pietta Remington new model army the hammer hits the nipples. Out of the box, the nipples had a slight angle to the face of the nipple. Because the nipples are at a slight angle in the cylinder I'm assuming that this angle is caused by hammer impact. It also seems there is one or two nipples higher than the rest.

I looked at my other remingtons and only the Pietta has hammer contact with the nipples. The easy fix would be to face the hammer, but how thick is the case hardening on the hammer?? that would not address the one or two nipples that are higher than the rest. Spot facing the nipple mounting holes looks like the best solution. Has anyone done this in the past?
I have refaced a few hammers in my time to correct the hammer's striking angle to the nipples "so that the face is square to the nipple when it strikes the cap" & it takes patience & multiple trial fitting to get it right & you are right it is done right when you have the hammer rest on the frame & the naked nipple is just barely being touched by the hammer.

Although the factory nipples that most companies supply with their revolvers are fine I usually trade mine out with Tresso AMPCO nipples because they are more precise in hight & fitment, & with the smaller flash hole makes cap fragments a lesser issue, then I would reface the hammer to suit the correct angle.

If you can reface the hammer you can use Kasnit to reharden the hammer face & Aneal it to the right hardness & still keep the nice Color Case look on the areas that every one looks at when you are showing your piece off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboywithgun
Just wondering if i could leave one nipple out of my 51 and 58 clones? I was just thinking this would be an easy way to know which to fill and which to keep the hammer down on even though i would never put a cap on that one why have a nipple either??
I've never done this practice, thought about it a cupple of times but since I've been loading C&B Revolvers the way my grandfather taught me almost 30 years ago I just follow the load one, skip one, load 4 more routine & has worked for me & when you want the extra shot at the range you would have the ability to do so if you have all 6 chambers nippled & ready.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Raider2000; December 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old December 21, 2008, 09:41 PM   #10
arcticap

Quote:
Ok, so I guess I am the guy who will come forward and say "done it for years".

Basically for the reason you state, easily identifies the empty chamber. Never had a problem with a hammer breaking, although most of the time I stop after 5 shots. I do rotate the chambers and the empty one will be used next time out shooting.

Go ahead, live with one less nipple and enjoy the little simplifications that come with it
Doesn't more powder fouling accumulate in the empty threads than if the nipple were just left in to serve as a thread protector?
Removing powder residue from thread grooves is tough enough with a nipple installed so unless the method is really desired to mark the empty chamber, I'm not sure the trade off is worth the extra cleaning effort time wise.
It sounds like exchanging a little simplification for a little complication to me!
But since it's your time and effort, why not enjoy being happy doing it?
Old December 21, 2008, 11:42 PM   #11
mykeal

Hot, or even warm, water should remove the powder residue in the nipple threads just like it does in the bore.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:26 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Although the factory nipples that most companies supply with their revolvers are fine I usually trade mine out with Tresso AMPCO nipples because they are more precise in hight & fitment, & with the smaller flash hole makes cap fragments a lesser issue, then I would reface the hammer to suit the correct angle.
I see a big difference in nipples in various manufacturers. I have replaced most of the nipples in my Pietta's with Tresso's. The nip's on my Colt and Uberti revolvers seem to be a much harder steel.