The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2001, 02:42 PM   #1
imq707s

I have a new Ruger M77 Mark 2 all-weather rifle in 7mm Mag. The factory trigger pull is around 7lbs. I would like to get it around 3-3.5 lbs. I have called all of the gunsmiths in my area (springfield MO) and all of them have said that it's very difficult to lighten up the trigger on these rifles but "I'll give it a try". I really don't feel safe taking my brand new gun to any gunsmith that say "I'll give it a try". I would hate to take my gun in and pick it up just to find out that my trigger has been destroyed by some idiot grinding on it. Are there any sites on the net that go through a step-by-step trigger job? Is there any thing I can do my self? Anyone know of a good smith in Springfield MO? Any help would be great, I'm tired of pulling the 7lb. trigger.
Old January 24, 2001, 08:25 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

imq707s, it is difficult to work on these triggers. The original 77 had an adjustable trigger but the Mark II doesn't. You can polish the sides of the parts and the inside of the slot in the receiver to make sure that nothing is rubbing and give your trigger a much lighter and smoother feel. About the only real successes in reducing the weight of pull I know of have come from using a lighter trigger/sear spring. George
Old January 25, 2001, 09:50 AM   #3
weegee

The Timney trigger for these works great, and is easy to install. Even a Palm Beach gunsmith could do it! (I've done two myself.)

Best price I've seen lately seems to be from Midsouth Shooter's supply--about $60.00. Well worth it. Best, weegee.
Old December 10, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Shooter11

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the Timney Trigger for the Ruger M77 Mark 2 rifles. What is the trigger pull in pounds? Also, is the trigger safe? I have heard that some triggers with a lighter pull can go off easily if the gun is unfortunatly dropped. I am considering buying a ruger M77 mark 2 in .223 for varmint hunting and I don't like the heavy trigger on this model. However, the stainless steel rugers are very sharp looking. All input will be greatly appreciated.

Shooter11
Old December 11, 2005, 09:26 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

They are safe

The Timney for these I believe go down to around 1 1/2lbs to 3 or 4lbs. I am working off memory here so it may not have quite that much range. They are extremely safe triggers and you will be hard pressed to find a better one. This is the best choice in my view since the new trigger is non adjustable.
Old December 14, 2005, 09:14 PM   #6
steve1589

Ruger 77 Mark 2

The trigger can be tuned on this rifle. The engagement is reduced and make a new trigger spring. A slight change of angle on the sear engagement surface. This should all be done by a qualifed gunsmith. If you do it and screw it up you have to send it back to Ruger and pay them to fix it. Triggers are on their restricted list to be installed by the factory only. I can get them to 4lbs.or lower with is based on the shooter and what the rifle is used for. Keep calling local gunsmiths till one says he is sure he can do it. Don't tell him you want a hair trigger. This tells him your an idiot and he'll say he can't do it. Also remember when you start altering engagment surfaces other things can change to. Like the safety doesn't work anymore.