The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Dave B

It's time for a shotgun - help!

I'm sure this has been beaten repeatedly and to death but here goes:

I need a 'home defense' shotgun. We've got an escalating (black) bear problem, and, while I'm not going to go looking for trouble - after all, the bears were here first - it seems like a good idea to be prepared. I suppose it might be used to get a deer or two in the dark timber.

The 870s seem to have a good rep as far as quality and value, and are the 10/22s of the shotgun world as far as accessories go.

I don't need the tactical stuff, probably just ghost ring sights.

Which model(s) should I be considering.

db
Old June 11, 2004, 10:03 AM   #2
2002gti

for me i went cheap, so i went with a $180 win 1300. its pistol gripped with side saddle shell carrier. if i had to do it again i'd spend a little more and go 870 ,as the action is way smoother than the win. but all is well because i really dont like to shoot the thing it just sits there at the ready.
Old June 11, 2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Bruce Layne

I just bought a Mossberg 590 for home defense. I can't comment on the long term reliability because I haven't had it long enough, but the cost was low considering the number of standard features, and it seems very well designed and well built. Unlike most tactical shotguns, the Mossbergs have a broad range of standard models with all the features offered from the factory, instead of needing to mess around with third party add-ons which can be a much more expensive and possibly less reliable way to go.

I got the Mossberg #50668, 20" cylinder bored barrel, ghost ring sites, parkerized finish, 8+1 capacity, plus four more shells in the synthetic Davis Speed-Feed stock. I added swivels and a sling. It's very nice. There are numerous other models configured most ways people want them, including the Cruiser versions that have a pistol grip instead of a conventional stock.

Here are the models at the Mossberg website.
http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

Online and local dealer prices are much lower than the manufacturer's suggested retail prices listed. For example, the $586 shotgun I bought was $390 from my local discount dealer.
http://www.kyimports.com/rifle3.htm

There are a number of companies that make good tactical shotguns, and good shotguns that can be converted to tactical use. I bought a Mossberg because I think they offered the best value. They seemed to understand what the market wants, and I like the fact that they met market demands in their standard products, so I can buy a stock shotgun the way I wanted. It saves me time and money. And if I ever needed to use it for defense, I'd rather a jury heard that I purchased a shotgun for home defense, as opposed to being told that I bought a shotgun and added seven military features to it to make it more lethal than the manufacturer intended for a civilian weapon. It's all weasel lawyer talk, but it does account for something in a court.
Old June 11, 2004, 06:18 PM   #4
Raider

Remington 870 Police Model. You don't have to add the extended mag unless you waht to. It comes with the 18in cylinder bored barrel. You can add the ghost ring sights if you want to but isn't needed for 50 - 60 yd shots in deep woods. The 870 is the standard IMO. My other choice would be the Rem 1100 Police model for an autoloader. Add a good non-sliding buttcuff and you're good to go.

Just one gals opinion. FWIW.

RIKA
Old June 11, 2004, 09:01 PM   #5
strider72

870 Express with Rifle sights. If you can't stop the bear or whatever with 4+1 rds. of slugs then you are out of luck with about anything short of a FAL with 20 rds. of .308.
Old June 13, 2004, 05:14 AM   #6
PzGren

I would strongly recommend the Remington 870. I have a 21" Special Purpose turkey gun and it is an all-rounder. I can positively hit an 8" gong at 65 yard with Remington slugs and the bead sights.

The sidesaddle makes it too lopsided for me and all neat accessories that I had added came off again, all but a two round mag extension.
Old June 13, 2004, 05:18 AM   #7
sm

Search Function

Has a BUNCH of threads.
See any post by Dave McC

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...fense+shotguns

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...fense+shotguns
Old June 14, 2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Dave B

Thanks, everyone. With luck, I'll find one this weekend.

db
Old June 26, 2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Tommy Vercetti

I like the 870 Marine Magnum because of corrosion resistance..if you reload try some fishing weight "Split Shot" crimped on to dental floss..