The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2018, 09:17 AM   #26
ed308

Can somebody tell me what characteristics put Geisselle in this conversation? Why would I want one over the Larue, RA or Triggertech? or Timney?

Geissele is the standard for AR triggers. Great triggers. But some of their best triggers are expensive.
Old November 4, 2018, 01:26 PM   #27
rickyrick

To be honest, a “non-drop-in” Trigger isn’t that much harder to install than a drop-in Trigger.
Old November 4, 2018, 01:47 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Check out Elftman, amazing triggers.
Old November 4, 2018, 03:04 PM   #29
ed308

To be honest, a “non-drop-in” Trigger isn’t that much harder to install than a drop-in Trigger.

I say they are easier compared to a Timney trigger. The lower Allen screws in a Timney can be pain.
Old November 4, 2018, 04:22 PM   #30
k4swb

I never really wanted an AR but the wife said she had to have one so away we went.
Got her a S&W 15 Sport. I got a Ruger AR556. Her trigger is acceptable, mine not so much.
I spent another $150.00 and dropped in a Velocity 3.5# or 3# I can't remember which and now mine is much much better. Since I really didn't want an AR all that much and don't plan to spend a lot of time shooting it and I'm too old and shaky to work on much gun related I chose the drop in.

Very very easy to do and that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old November 4, 2018, 07:47 PM   #31
rickyrick

Quote:
I say they are easier compared to a Timney trigger. The lower Allen screws in a Timney can be pain.
You got me there... I haven’t used a Timney or installed one before.
Old November 4, 2018, 10:33 PM   #32
Nathan

Quote:
Geissele is the standard for AR triggers. Great triggers. But some of their best triggers are expensive.
I have shot with several Geisselle triggers before. What are they always at the top of the list in these threads? They are not great triggers, IMO. They are famous because the .mil folks use them. I think .mil uses them because they improve trigger pull sort of without reducing total sear engagement. Therefore, the tolerance stackup for sear engagement is not affected. Therefore, nobody has to approve the reengineering of the lockwork.

Why does this help a civilian? Cause the gun will be safe.

Are the cassette type triggers safe? Yes, they are safe by reengineering the mechanism with different materials, tighter tolerances and better engineering. Look at the trigger scan data. It is all right there. These feel like good light crisp triggers and are safe.

The Geisselle triggers I used felt like a long medium weight pull with a short light pull stacked on top. OK, but not for serious accuracy work.

Last edited by Nathan; November 5, 2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:17 AM   #33
stagpanther

LaRue generally makes great stuff--but I was underwhelmed by the two stage specials that I bought and installed on two AR's recently--though they are dependable, the first stage has no noticeable back pressure to me so it feels like simply trigger take-up in a single stage me.

I've bought a lot of triggers--I've got so many different ones installed I've lost track of what is installed on which rifle; but my principal go-to choice most of the time is Jard.